High School Hoops '20-'21

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You ever worked many 14-17 year olds to get them to come to 6am practice? 

Who's bringing the kids that don't have their license? 

Are you going to hold 2 a days during the season? 

My freshman year our coach had his practice before school.  We only had one gym so you had to work around the schedule of the high school coaches

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Connersville shot 73% 

Greensburg 77% 

Cathedral 76%

Homestead 79% 

Southwestern Hanover 72% 

Westfid 74%

Those are great team numbers I wonder what the average was or if there is a way to find it top to bottom ?  I may have misinterpreted his comment but I thought he was observing it was poor in the championship games and that he felt it had declined as a whole ...I’d have to imagine 77% greensburg is about as good as anyone shoots as a team in any era 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My freshman year our coach had his practice before school.  We only had one gym so you had to work around the schedule of the high school coaches

Thats great. You didn't have practice after school then. Plenty of schools still do that. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

SC shot 70% from the foul line. That's a very solid number. I guess I don't understand why SC would need to change ANYTHING they do in practice? 

They have a 3 peat if it weren't for Rona. 

Basketball isn't a sport you can vastly improve in just the 2 hours a day to practice. They should be shooting FTs on their own, there isn't time in practice (or much) for FTs. 

@Seeking6 @5fouls 

Have you guys ever put together a practice plan? Or seen how time consuming shooting even 20 FTs is? 

Something you don't have time for on a consistent basis, in practice. 

Maybe I wasn't being clear in prior post. Not saying practice free throws is all time consuming in practice but it should be a focus throughout the year....and to your other point. Yes. The decade or so I coached made free throws meant less running at end of practice. Wanted to try and add any bit of pressure to the moment so they trusted their shot/routine,etc....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

You ever worked many 14-17 year olds to get them to come to 6am practice? 

Who's bringing the kids that don't have their license? 

Are you going to hold 2 a days during the season? 

I don't know 2021 coaching but my answers in 90's and 2000's would be practice is at 6am. Don't have a license? Jog or walk or get a ride. 2 a days during season? Happened routinely.....but again these are dated concepts from a decade plus ago. No way things like that could work today.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know 2021 coaching but my answers in 90's and 2000's would be practice is at 6am. Don't have a license? Jog or walk or get a ride. 2 a days during season? Happened routinely.....but again these are dated concepts from a decade plus ago. No way things like that could work today.

They aren't allowed. Lol 

No one's walking to school where I live. Not happening. Plenty of kids come in before school and shoot, at every school. 

I just listed some absurdly high FT shooting %s for HS teams. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

R None of that is true in the least bit. 

I just wanted to be unclear about the argument lol 

but for sake of argument yes both are partially true .....not from a lack of desire but as you yourself pointed out, constraints on time make it a less dedicated focus and secondarily  from kids I’ve observed ( not all kids of course but as a whole ) they are far less likely to work on stationary aspects of the game on their own ....kids will still go play together but there is too much to compete with as far as other sports social media/friend access and video gaming.  Now I’m showing my age

8 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I just wanted to be unclear about the argument lol 

but for sake of argument yes both are partially true .....not from a lack of desire but as you yourself pointed out, constraints on time make it a less dedicated focus and secondarily  from kids I’ve observed ( not all kids of course but as a whole ) they are far less likely to work on stationary aspects of the game on their own ....kids will still go play together but there is too much to compete with as far as other sports social media/friend access and video gaming.  Now I’m showing my age

But the teams are better than 20 years ago. Ultimately I just think the FT discussion is nit picky. Not a big deal though. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I need to ask what the argument is exactly here. 

That kids now don't practice FT shooting enough? Or coaches don't stress it enough? 

Just wanted to be clear.

Not sure the exact answer because as always it's probably a mixture. My guess is I don't think the kids have stressed it enough....but that's probably wrong as well.

What I do know is based on eye test only....free throw shooting is down. I'm sure a stat will come along and say it's up but from my vantage point if you knew as a coach and a player you had a chance to make 5 extra 3's per game (15 free throws) I'd be practicing that so it became automatic. Especially the kids who had the ball in their hands.

Anyway...always fun conversation. When I see a stat line of 6-17 in a state title game it's always up for debate. The same way I debate why Pete Carroll threw instead of letting Lynch run it in. Fun conversation!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But the teams are better than 20 years ago. Ultimately I just think the FT discussion is nit picky. Not a big deal though. 

Agree not a huge deal and I think the top teams clearly are as good as the tops were in decades past as you showed but I see the argument seeking is making I don’t know where I’d find it but I’d love to see the collective average of all varsity teams to see how much variance there is 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure the exact answer because as always it's probably a mixture. My guess is I don't think the kids have stressed it enough....but that's probably wrong as well.

What I do know is based on eye test only....free throw shooting is down. I'm sure a stat will come along and say it's up but from my vantage point if you knew as a coach and a player you had a chance to make 5 extra 3's per game (15 free throws) I'd be practicing that so it became automatic. Especially the kids who had the ball in their hands.

Anyway...always fun conversation. When I see a stat line of 6-17 in a state title game it's always up for debate. The same way I debate why Pete Carroll threw instead of letting Lynch run it in. Fun conversation!

One of my hauntings 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not Pete Carroll's call, but yeah... Russell Wilson should have checked out of that immediately. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

One of my hauntings 

You a Seahawks guy? My uncle/aunt/cousins are from Bellevue sp?? still won't live that play down. Ever. Sorry to derail. Not much going in the NFL thread until we get closer to draft.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Not Pete Carroll's call, but yeah... Russell Wilson should have checked out of that immediately. 

Yep...problem with young qbs. Not that Brady would ever had that call come in but if it did he would certainly checked out. Don’t know how many games I’ve seen lost throwing over the middle on the goal line.  Went against everything that team was. They got cute and paid for it.

• Like 1

One other little thing. I have no clue what coaches are looking for but someone will get a steal in Brian Waddell. Still uncommitted. Been a pleasure watching this kid play and develop for years. I see that Indiana St and Miami of Ohio finally offered.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

IIRC I saw an article over weekend saying they are delaying that one year. Not sure why. 

Because the IHSAA is too frigging lazy to figure out a plan with the way these enrollments are now with Covid. Schools have lost a fair amount of enrollment in some places. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

One other little thing. I have no clue what coaches are looking for but someone will get a steal in Brian Waddell. Still uncommitted. Been a pleasure watching this kid play and develop for years. I see that Indiana St and Miami of Ohio finally offered.

He looks like a perfect fit for Miami oh or indiana state ....he definitely had pedigree 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

IIRC I saw an article over weekend saying they are delaying that one year. Not sure why. 

All three lose such major contributors moving up a class would Be very rough ...barr Reeve still has knepp and Blackhawk still has Boyer then silver creek with northern 

Edited by IU/Butler/Notre Dame