High School Hoops '20-'21

I made a solemn vow that when venturing into other threads I wouldn’t hijack them with my mild case of Blackford / brown random ....but the topic or free throws got me looking at numbers and 652-707 at the line over 3.5 seasons is pretty crazy ....if fletcher loyer had played here all four years he would have a similar percentage too that’s pretty commendable 

7 hours ago, rico said:

Are Silver Creek, FW Blackhawk, and Barr-Reeve gonna have to play up a class next year?  I forgot how that goes, let alone how 2020 plays into it.

They are not going to be required to move up.  Success factor will move up schools in sports that were able to complete a full season last year (football, volleyball, soccer, girls basketball, etc.).  But, since boys basketball did not finish it's season, they do not have two consecutive years of data to make that move.  Same exception will apply to spring sports like baseball and softball, that were not able to complete their season.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

They are not going to be required to move up.  Success factor will move up schools in sports that were able to complete a full season last year (football, volleyball, soccer, girls basketball, etc.).  But, since boys basketball did not finish it's season, they do not have two consecutive years of data to make that move.  Same exception will apply to spring sports like baseball and softball, that were not able to complete their season.  

So Culver Academies remains a 4A in boys basketball?

6 minutes ago, rico said:

So Culver Academies remains a 4A in boys basketball?

Not sure.  It's easier to drop than to move up.  They may base dropping on this year only and allow a school like Culver Academy, which lost in the sectional, to drop back where they belong, while requiring someone like Blackhawk, who won State, to stay in 2A instead of dropping back to 1A

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 9:03 AM, Seeking6 said:

One other little thing. I have no clue what coaches are looking for but someone will get a steal in Brian Waddell. Still uncommitted. Been a pleasure watching this kid play and develop for years. I see that Indiana St and Miami of Ohio finally offered.

Update on this one. Offered by Purdue today....and I get it. Tell him to redshirt. Add some weight but this is actually a very good move by Painter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Update on this one. Offered by Purdue today....and I get it. Tell him to redshirt. Add some weight but this is actually a very good move by Painter. 

I was stoked when I saw that today. His dad was a stud for us and I think this could be a steal down the road for us. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Nothing wrong with a flyer when the player has 3 finals appearances and the family pedigree this young man does ....you’ll find production more often than you’ll strike out on those gambles 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Nothing wrong with a flyer when the player has 3 finals appearances and the family pedigree this young man does ....you’ll find production more often than you’ll strike out on those gambles 

Been lucky to see this kid grow and play since Jr. High. All I know is this. He wins and he scores. Add some weight and I could him being a nice bench guy in a couple few years. My bigger problem is why some of these others schools in the state who apparently employ coaches didn't offer. 

Ball St, Indiana St....even schools like Valpo or IUPUI....Evansville. What exactly were they not seeing in the talent evaluation game?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Been lucky to see this kid grow and play since Jr. High. All I know is this. He wins and he scores. Add some weight and I could him being a nice bench guy in a couple few years. My bigger problem is why some of these others schools in the state who apparently employ coaches didn't offer. 

Ball St, Indiana St....even schools like Valpo or IUPUI....Evansville. What exactly were they not seeing in the talent evaluation game?

I couldn’t agree more ...ball state had already signed sparks but I’d take waddel over him in a heartbeat maybe they thought he’d say no ?🤷🏼‍♂️

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If it happens, it won't be for a few years.  Enrollment is not high enough and facilities need to be upgraded.  

Not to sound arrogant in the least bit, but your athletes deserve something much better than they play on.  Baseball field is pretty nice though, right? I haven't paid too much attention when I've been down there.

Also.. what's the weight room like?

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not to sound arrogant in the least bit, but your athletes deserve something much better than they play on.  Baseball field is pretty nice though, right? I haven't paid too much attention when I've been down there.

Also.. what's the weight room like?

Don't disagree with what you say, and now that the school district split has happened, we should start seeing some upgrades.  But, they all will not happen at once.  10 years from now things will look quite a bit different.  

Yes, the baseball field is a nice one.  One of the few sports where the facilities are good enough to host a sectional.  

They recently did some upgrades to the weight room, I believe.  But, I honestly have not seen it since they were done, so I don't know for sure.

One of the major issues the school has is how land-locked it is.  Going to take some creativity to fully upgrade things unless new construction occurs off the current campus.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Don't disagree with what you say, and now that the school district split has happened, we should start seeing some upgrades.  But, they all will not happen at once.  10 years from now things will look quite a bit different.  

Yes, the baseball field is a nice one.  One of the few sports where the facilities are good enough to host a sectional.  

They recently did some upgrades to the weight room, I believe.  But, I honestly have not seen it since they were done, so I don't know for sure.

One of the major issues the school has is how land-locked it is.  Going to take some creativity to fully upgrade things unless new construction occurs off the current campus.

Correct. I feel like they're going to build a completely different site for the school. Like move the HS entirely.

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Why did Warsaw's Mangas end up at IWU?  Search me.  Although I will say that Butler, before they got big time, gobbled those "types" of kids up.  Chad Tucker(Cloverdale), Jon Neuhouser(Leo), Darrin Archbold(Norwell), and Jason McKenzie(Warsaw by way of Whitko) come to mind.  

But yeah.  WTF are Ball St., Indiana St., Evansville, Valpo, IUPUI, and P-FW thinking?  I would also add that Notre Dame does a pitiful job of getting in-state talent as well.

• Like 2

Just now, rico said:

Why did Warsaw's Mangas end up at IWU?  Search me.  Although I will say that Butler, before they got big time, gobbled those "types" of kids up.  Chad Tucker(Cloverdale), Jon Neuhouser(Leo), Darrin Archbold(Norwell), and Jason McKenzie(Warsaw by way of Whitko) come to mind.  

But yeah.  WTF are Ball St., Indiana St., Evansville, Valpo, IUPUI, and P-FW thinking?  I would also add that Notre Dame does a pitiful job of getting in-state talent as well.

All very good points and examples and to answer your point...no clue. It's not like Carmel is some unknown small public school in the state. Son of a former Big 10 player winning state titles and has the size/skill set,etc....just no clue for some of these other schools not to come after him. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Correct. I feel like they're going to build a completely different site for the school. Like move the HS entirely.

@5fouls can tell you the sc/west clark battle has been going on for 40 years.  There was a sweet property out in the middle of the district just past where Fuzzy Zeller's golf course is they had picked out years ago.  When I was in middle school, fouls was graduating, we all though consolidation was going down.  We were going to be the West Clark Wolverines.  The borden and henryville folk were afraid their kids wouldn't make the team anymore and gathered together to shut it down by an extremely close vote.  

Rumor has been, the last I heard, new school towards Charlestown where the cross country field and youth baseball fields are.  I have no idea if that's still an idea or would even work because it's one way in, land locked by the rock quarries.  

Henryville is the one primed and ready for future growth.  Less than 20 minutes from louisville, right off I 65, tons of room for future development.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

@5fouls can tell you the sc/west clark battle has been going on for 40 years.  There was a sweet property out in the middle of the district just past where Fuzzy Zeller's golf course is they had picked out years ago.  When I was in middle school, fouls was graduating, we all though consolidation was going down.  We were going to be the West Clark Wolverines.  The borden and henryville folk were afraid their kids wouldn't make the team anymore and gathered together to shut it down by an extremely close vote.  

Rumor has been, the last I heard, new school towards Charlestown where the cross country field and youth baseball fields are.  I have no idea if that's still an idea or would even work because it's one way in, land locked by the rock quarries.  

Henryville is the one primed and ready for future growth.  Less than 20 minutes from louisville, right off I 65, tons of room for future development.  

I want SC as big and as loaded sports wise as possible, then I want my Braves to beat them. :) simple right? 🤣

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I want SC as big and as loaded sports wise as possible, then I want my Braves to beat them. :) simple right? 🤣

The hot mess in west clark and sc has not even been a speed bump to Silver Creeks success.  I heard about a year ago the idea was to build a new high school with around 1500 potential capacity.  The cheerleading success has been going on since my friends won state and nationals back in 98, 99.  They have just kept that rolling for 20+ years now.  Pretty incredible.  Tennis and cross country has had good to great runs over the years.  I think volleyball has made deep runs recently. Now girls and boys basketball state champs.  Didn't they win conference in football?  Isn't that like 10 years into varsity? 

The horrible facilities hasn't hurt silver creek.  It's pretty amazing. 

And yes, the baseball field itself is and has been meticulously maintained.   

• Like 1