High School Hoops '20-'21

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The hot mess in west clark and sc has not even been a speed bump to Silver Creeks success.  I heard about a year ago the idea was to build a new high school with around 1500 potential capacity.  The cheerleading success has been going on since my friends won state and nationals back in 98, 99.  They have just kept that rolling for 20+ years now.  Pretty incredible.  Tennis and cross country has had good to great runs over the years.  I think volleyball has made deep runs recently. Now girls and boys basketball state champs.  Didn't they win conference in football?  Isn't that like 10 years into varsity? 

The horrible facilities hasn't hurt silver creek.  It's pretty amazing. 

And yes, the baseball field itself is and has been meticulously maintained.   

Volleyball has made some deep runs, and those will continue.  That program is built for the long haul.

Baseball is consistently a Top 5 3A program.

Softball is poised to become an annual threat as well.

Girls soccer went to semi-state last year.  

Football went undefeated in the regular season, but will take a step back next year.  Graduating seniors in a lot of key positions.  Beefed up schedule as well.  Dropped Providence and Clarksville.  Picked up Floyd Central and Jeffersonville.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The hot mess in west clark and sc has not even been a speed bump to Silver Creeks success.  I heard about a year ago the idea was to build a new high school with around 1500 potential capacity.  The cheerleading success has been going on since my friends won state and nationals back in 98, 99.  They have just kept that rolling for 20+ years now.  Pretty incredible.  Tennis and cross country has had good to great runs over the years.  I think volleyball has made deep runs recently. Now girls and boys basketball state champs.  Didn't they win conference in football?  Isn't that like 10 years into varsity? 

They aren't always going to be 6'9 6'7 in boys basketball. Hoffman is a very good coach though. They won the conference this year in football, yes.. this was probably the worst team we've had in 15 years at BC plus we played horribly that night and SC was very good. It was a drubbing, but we've never lost to them at the JV level.

If SC wants that football program to grow, they've gotta invest. East Central has BIG time facilities and they are in SC's sectional in football. SC had it's best football team this year (a VERY good team) and were waxed by EC. Regardless of the field conditions, they are still a notch below them or two.

I know of like 4 cheer leading programs that hang National Championship banners lol

They've greatly benefited from being one of the biggest 3A schools.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Volleyball has made some deep runs, and those will continue.  That program is built for the long haul.

Baseball is consistently a Top 5 3A program.

Softball is poised to become an annual threat as well.

Girls soccer went to semi-state last year.  

Football went undefeated in the regular season, but will take a step back next year.  Graduating seniors in a lot of key positions.  Beefed up schedule as well.  Dropped Providence and Clarksville.  Picked up Floyd Central and Jeffersonville.

Such a good decision by them. We dropped Clarksville and picked up Indian Creek, huge for us.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They aren't always going to be 6'9 6'7 in boys basketball. Hoffman is a very good coach though. They won the conference this year in football, yes.. this was probably the worst team we've had in 15 years at BC plus we played horribly that night and SC was very good. It was a drubbing, but we've never lost to them at the JV level.

If SC wants that football program to grow, they've gotta invest. East Central has BIG time facilities and they are in SC's sectional in football. SC had it's best football team this year (a VERY good team) and were waxed by EC. Regardless of the field conditions, they are still a notch below them or two.

I know of like 4 cheer leading programs that hang National Championship banners lol

Lol, like fouls, I was just running down the list of successful programs.  When it comes to the cheer, I had a group of girl friends that were deep in gymnastics as kids and watched UK and UofL go back and forth for national championships.  They and Floyd central have dominated for years and have been feeder programs to national level collegiate teams.  It's neat and yeah, like only 4 programs get to brag about it and Silver Creek is one.  

Btown has hung their hat on really good and consistent football for as long as I can remember.  

It wasn't too long ago that Silver Creek was bouncing back and forth between biggest 2A school and smallest 3A.  Then school choice.  Silver Creek benefited from outstanding principals and athletic directors at both the middle and high school level that stuck with the school for 2, 3, 4 decades.  They laid an outstanding foundation.  

If they build a new school the facilities will be best in a large radius, I would guess.  But yes, currently they are embarrassing.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Lol, like fouls, I was just running down the list of successful programs.  When it comes to the cheer, I had a group of girl friends that were deep in gymnastics as kids and watched UK and UofL go back and forth for national championships.  They and Floyd central have dominated for years and have been feeder programs to national level collegiate teams.  It's neat and yeah, like only 4 programs get to brag about it and Silver Creek is one.  

Btown has hung their hat on really good and consistent football for as long as I can remember.  

It wasn't too long ago that Silver Creek was bouncing back and forth between biggest 2A school and smallest 3A.  Then school choice.  Silver Creek benefited from outstanding principals and athletic directors at both the middle and high school level that stuck with the school for 2, 3, 4 decades.  They laid an outstanding foundation.  

If they build a new school the facilities will be best in a large radius, I would guess.  But yes, currently they are embarrassing.  

I just think you match your success with facilities, deadly combo. Obviously it's not as simple to say "build this and build that." They've overcame the first major obstacle with separating from Borden and Henryville. I know one of the higher ups at Borden and he isn't overly convinced they'll be a school for that much longer. Just his opinion though.

Volleyball and Boys basketball has been as good as football for the past 20-25 years. Volleyball is like 7 time state runner up and 1 time state champ. (thanks Muncie Burris) and Boys Basketball (2 time state runner up).

We are hoping we will be 2A next year... it's unfortunate because we should be REALLY good in football this coming year.

as far as Cheer... I've been to FC, SC, Seymour, and Scottsburg and seen their "NC Cheerleading" banner. I dated a Seymour cheer leader in HS, went to the competition.... they were the only team in that division lol did their routine and then boom... they got their banner.

I do know that UL cheer is very good.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I just think you match your success with facilities, deadly combo. Obviously it's not as simple to say "build this and build that." They've overcame the first major obstacle with separating from Borden and Henryville. I know one of the higher ups at Borden and he isn't overly convinced they'll be a school for that much longer. Just his opinion though.

Volleyball and Boys basketball has been as good as football for the past 20-25 years. Volleyball is like 7 time state runner up and 1 time state champ. (thanks Muncie Burris) and Boys Basketball (2 time state runner up).

We are hoping we will be 2A next year... it's unfortunate because we should be REALLY good in football this coming year.

as far as Cheer... I've been to FC, SC, Seymour, and Scottsburg and seen their "NC Cheerleading" banner. I dated a Seymour cheer leader in HS, went to the competition.... they were the only team in that division lol did their routine and then boom... they got their banner.

I do know that UL cheer is very good.

Clarify what you are meaning with Borden, "he isn't overly convinced they'll be a school for that much longer." I'm of the thinking that in 10 years, henryville and borden will be just fine, borden floated by henryville and the Hass Cabinet family.  

I had a few friends cheer at UofL and knew a few dancers as well.  I always take the high school cheer championships with a grain of salt when it's small school, no lifts, no males, southeast division.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Clarify what you are meaning with Borden, "he isn't overly convinced they'll be a school for that much longer." I'm of the thinking that in 10 years, henryville and borden will be just fine, borden floated by henryville and the Hass Cabinet family.  

I had a few friends cheer at UofL and knew a few dancers as well.  I always take the high school cheer championships with a grain of salt when it's small school, no lifts, no males, southeast division.  

He thinks Borden will dissolve as a school district in the near (?) future. I don't have an opinion on the matter, I hope they don't. But, he would absolutely know.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He thinks Borden will dissolve as a school district in the near (?) future. I don't have an opinion on the matter, I hope they don't. But, he would absolutely know.

I probably wouldn't be surprised either way.  Pekin schools, what is is west washington, offered them to merge in.  I would guess most people would go towards what is most convenient, silver creek, henryville, Pekin Eastern school, New Albany, Floyd. It's a busy curvy road in and out of there aside from country roads that take forever to get anywhere from.  

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I probably wouldn't be surprised either way.  Pekin schools, what is is west washington, offered them to merge in.  I would guess most people would go towards what is most convenient, silver creek, henryville, Pekin Eastern school, New Albany, Floyd. It's a busy curvy road in and out of there aside from country roads that take forever to get anywhere from.  

Pekin is East Washington. And not that I'm from there area, but we head to Hubers once a year in the fall (like everyone lol).. and it's beautiful down there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Our cheer did finish 5th nationally a couple of years ago.  But, no, I don't know how many were in our division.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

There really is no easy way to get from Borden to Henryville.  So, if the school would close, it would be full blown free agency.  Silver Creek and Eastern (Pekin) would probably get the bulk of the students.  There are a couple of decent sized subdivisions that are 2-3 times closer to Silver Creek, but are still in the Borden district.

@btownqband @NotIThatLives

On the subject of open enrollment, just this week we received a pretty little postcard from Greater Clark Schools (Jeff, Charlestown, and New Washington) letting us know they were gauging interest as to whether it might be worthwhile for them to run a bus route into our neighborhood.  We have two kids in high school, so I jokingly told my wife I should call them and tell them we wanted one kid to go to New Washington and the other to go to Jeff (about 30 miles apart from each other), and ask if they could possibly be on the same bus.  But, alas, after reading the fine print, my offer was for the Charlestown campus only.  

What it does show though is that solicitation is obvious, and in full force.   And, not just for elite athletes.  We were used to getting those cards from the private schools, but now it appears public schools are getting in the act.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@btownqband @NotIThatLives

On the subject of open enrollment, just this week we received a pretty little postcard from Greater Clark Schools (Jeff, Charlestown, and New Washington) letting us know they were gauging interest as to whether it might be worthwhile for them to run a bus route into our neighborhood.  We have two kids in high school, so I jokingly told my wife I should call them and tell them we wanted one kid to go to New Washington and the other to go to Jeff (about 30 miles apart from each other), and ask if they could possibly be on the same bus.  But, alas, after reading the fine print, my offer was for the Charlestown campus only.  

What it does show though is that solicitation is obvious, and in full force.   And, not just for elite athletes.  We were used to getting those cards from the private schools, but now it appears public schools are getting in the act.

They should have NEVER allowed private schools to do this. I have a disdain for Providence... cannot stand them. That billboard that was up in Jeff/Clarksville area made me so mad.

7 hours ago, rico said:

Why did Warsaw's Mangas end up at IWU?  Search me.  Although I will say that Butler, before they got big time, gobbled those "types" of kids up.  Chad Tucker(Cloverdale), Jon Neuhouser(Leo), Darrin Archbold(Norwell), and Jason McKenzie(Warsaw by way of Whitko) come to mind.  

But yeah.  WTF are Ball St., Indiana St., Evansville, Valpo, IUPUI, and P-FW thinking?  I would also add that Notre Dame does a pitiful job of getting in-state talent as well.

I miss those days for butler 

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

@5fouls can tell you the sc/west clark battle has been going on for 40 years.  There was a sweet property out in the middle of the district just past where Fuzzy Zeller's golf course is they had picked out years ago.  When I was in middle school, fouls was graduating, we all though consolidation was going down.  We were going to be the West Clark Wolverines.  The borden and henryville folk were afraid their kids wouldn't make the team anymore and gathered together to shut it down by an extremely close vote.  

Rumor has been, the last I heard, new school towards Charlestown where the cross country field and youth baseball fields are.  I have no idea if that's still an idea or would even work because it's one way in, land locked by the rock quarries.  

Henryville is the one primed and ready for future growth.  Less than 20 minutes from louisville, right off I 65, tons of room for future development.  

And survived the tornado blowing out the gym wall !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

And survived the tornado blowing out the gym wall !

Even after all this time, the amount of change in that town resulting from the tornado is hard to quantify.  It's the same town, but it's not, if that makes any sense.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Off topic question to all involved ...Nostalgic purposes aside I’m completely indifferent to cheerleading so don’t shoot me if you’re fanatical either direction but your post interested me for a single reason :

question is ...how many “national”cheerleading competitions are there and is there one that’s actually sanctioned and officially  recognized ?

I ask because I was an 01 grad from Blackford and OUR school proudly displayed a state and national championship ship banner ( before our cheer program leader got himself into some legal pickles ) intertwined with the years you’ve described.  I take further note because I noticed at least two other gyms the last 4 years with banners claiming the exact same thing.  Maybe indiana should be known as a cheer state instead of a basketball state 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Wish I had read this I just made the same cheerleading post 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Off topic question to all involved ...Nostalgic purposes aside I’m completely indifferent to cheerleading so don’t shoot me if you’re fanatical either direction but your post interested me for a single reason :

question is ...how many “national”cheerleading competitions are there and is there one that’s actually sanctioned and officially  recognized ?

I ask because I was an 01 grad from Blackford and OUR school proudly displayed a state and national championship ship banner ( before our cheer program leader got himself into some legal pickles ) intertwined with the years you’ve described.  I take further note because I noticed at least two other gyms the last 4 years with banners claiming the exact same thing.  Maybe indiana should be known as a cheer state instead of a basketball state 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's a great question.  I won't ask because I'm guessing it's a territorial and sticky subject to those proud teams.  I know Silver Creek has always pumped their chest about it.

2 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I can tell you for a fact...and @bluegrassIU and @kyhoosier29 can attest...Kentucky Is the queen of cheerleading. It’s not even close. Those schools there will kick the basketball teams out of the gym to give time to their squads. I think every town in the state has an ex UK/UL cheerleader running their own cheer/gymnastics school.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure what's the difference between 'Varsity' and 'Time-Out' is, but Silver Creek won both in their division.  Taking out the three specialty classes at the bottom, which includes some duplicate squads, and there are only 4 Divisions.  Same as basketball.  Two fewer than football.

https://iasp.org/2020/11/10/2020-indiana-cheer-championship-recap/

Varsity A
State Champion: Noblesville HS
State Runner-Up: Hamilton Southeastern HS, Fishers
State Third Place: Carmel HS

Varsity B
State Champion: Pendleton Heights HS
State Runner-Up: Greenfield-Central HS
State Third Place: Lowell HS

Varsity C
State Champion: Silver Creek HS, Sellersburg
State Runner-Up: Tri-West HS, Lizton
State Third Place: Delta HS, Muncie

Varsity D
State Champion: Eastern Hancock HS, Charlottesville
State Runner-Up: Clinton Central Jr/Sr HS, Michigantown
State Third Place: Northeast Dubois Jr/Sr HS, Dubois

Varsity Coed
State Champion: Floyd Central HS
State Runner-Up: New Albany HS
State Third Place: Jeffersonville HS

High School Time-Out Small
State Champion: Silver Creek HS
State Runner-Up: NorthWood HS, Nappanee
State Third Place: Eastern Hancock HS

High School Time-Out Large
State Champion: Lake Central HS
State Runner-Up: Carmel HS
State Third Place: Pendleton Heights HS

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not sure what's the difference between 'Varsity' and 'Time-Out' is, but Silver Creek won both in their division.  Taking out the three specialty classes at the bottom, which includes some duplicate squads, and there are only 4 Divisions.  Same as basketball.  Two fewer than football.

https://iasp.org/2020/11/10/2020-indiana-cheer-championship-recap/

Varsity A
State Champion: Noblesville HS
State Runner-Up: Hamilton Southeastern HS, Fishers
State Third Place: Carmel HS

Varsity B
State Champion: Pendleton Heights HS
State Runner-Up: Greenfield-Central HS
State Third Place: Lowell HS

Varsity C
State Champion: Silver Creek HS, Sellersburg
State Runner-Up: Tri-West HS, Lizton
State Third Place: Delta HS, Muncie

Varsity D
State Champion: Eastern Hancock HS, Charlottesville
State Runner-Up: Clinton Central Jr/Sr HS, Michigantown
State Third Place: Northeast Dubois Jr/Sr HS, Dubois

Varsity Coed
State Champion: Floyd Central HS
State Runner-Up: New Albany HS
State Third Place: Jeffersonville HS

High School Time-Out Small
State Champion: Silver Creek HS
State Runner-Up: NorthWood HS, Nappanee
State Third Place: Eastern Hancock HS

High School Time-Out Large
State Champion: Lake Central HS
State Runner-Up: Carmel HS
State Third Place: Pendleton Heights HS

I can’t believe someone took this much time  out of their life to post about cheerleading lol. <bring on the hate lol>

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's a great question.  I won't ask because I'm guessing it's a territorial and sticky subject to those proud teams.  I know Silver Creek has always pumped their chest about it.

I was the opposite in school I was always semi embarrassed THATS what we had a banner in lol ......we were one of the few in our area that had guy cheerleaders maybe it was a separate division

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can’t believe someone took this much time  out of their life to post about cheerleading lol. <bring on the hate lol>

I think notlthatlives brought it up, I made an unfortunate inquiry inviting more info and five fouls either knew it or took the time to research it ....I’m not sure which of us is most culpable but there is plenty of blame to go around 

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can’t believe someone took this much time  out of their life to post about cheerleading lol. <bring on the hate lo