High School Hoops '20-'21

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

No IU recruit...smdh!

Actually I’m shaking my head the oposite way ...the list is accurate in my opinion although you could make a strong case for swapping avance and JR for Blake Wesley and then for or five others ( goode, Blackmon , etc)  but what’s significant is that in such a deep class can you remember a time iu didn’t have one or the top 6 locked up ? This was a failure in recruiting by the Miller regime This class was known to be incredibly deep going back to 7th grade and even if you count us getting lander from this class other than him Reclassifying we still put too many eggs in the Furst and Kaufman basket ......Wesley and barnhizer should have been heavily recruited and brown and JR likely should have at least been back up plans .....lander was in a freebie developmental Year I realize but after watching him in high school I thought he was over ranked and while he had a physical disadvantage last year his shooting and hustle didn’t do a lot to change my mind ...talented yes, five star I’m not sure I saw it 

4 minutes ago, rico said:

But it should be on the list instead of "The Cave."

Agreed my dad is 78 we flew back from their house in Florida for the Blackford semi state game ...I had not been there he had many years prior and said it was really neat , he was correct and they have since added a video board over center court that’s better than most small colleges 

Edited by IU/Butler/Notre Dame

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just think at 6'6 or 6'7 he has a VERYYYY unique skill set. 

Absolutely and while voters can base their criteria on anything without direction being given it’s kind of a crapshoot but I personally would weigh how important the player is to their team pretty high if you take barnhizer or brown or their team they go from 20 Win regular seasons to 8-10 maybe less ...Brooks is also a coaches kid which I tend to find creates good basketball qualities more often than not and he has a good motor 

2 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Agreed 

I loved the gym in Elkhart.  Unfortunately, I never got to play in it like so many of my fellow 'Cat alumni.  We switched Regionals in '83(my soph year) to Fort Wayne.  But in reality only 4 gyms stuck out to me from my playing days.  Bluffton, 'Busco, Columbia City, and Triton.  

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I loved the gym in Elkhart.  Unfortunately, I never got to play in it like so many of my fellow 'Cat alumni.  We switched Regionals in '83(my soph year) to Fort Wayne.  But in reality only 4 gyms stuck out to me from my playing days.  Bluffton, 'Busco, Columbia City, and Triton.  

Why bluffton ?!

Told this story before, but maybe worth repeating in this conversation.

The old Central Catholic gym in downtown Ft. Wayne was the epitome of what a "bandbox" might be considered. Brick walls ran around the entire court and, at most, there was about 2 feet of out of bounds space between the lines and the walls. Besides a challenge during games, this was always a sore spot during PE classes, or any indoor practices, where running wind sprints was involved. The conundrum for the athlete/student/sprinter was that whoever was behind the whistle wanted you to sprint the entire distance. Unfortunately, unless you held up let's say a few feet from the basket, you would smack into the wall if you satisfied the whistle blower. I recall multiple issues of either having to run more sprints, or running stairs, because some kids refused to run hard the entire way.

The stands on one end of the gym were right behind the wall...not more than 5-6 feet from the basket. Central Catholic had a tradition of some good basketball teams, but when I attended, we were not very good. We did have an All-City player, however, who was also known to be a pothead. I recall one game where he took a jumper that missed the basket, backboard and all, and went directly into the seats. 

Unfortunately, the Diocese of Ft. Wayne determined that it could only support 2 Catholic high schools. After my freshman year, I was shipped out to Bishop Dwenger. Several years later, Central Catholic was torn down to make room for administrative buildings for the public school system. They diocese sold bricks from the old school and I have one somewhere.....maybe one that some poor schmuck ran into while trying to impress a coach.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, rico said:

They had seats around 3 sides.

I went when I was younger but don’t recall If it’s different the school itself been rebuilt or remodeled but I know the gym Has been primarily the same since I was in school in the late 90s and it does kind of have an all-around seating set up with an upper and lower deck but it’s not very large so I guess it never stood out to me did you ever go to southern wells ? Similar concept but it’s round / domed 

36 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Told this story before, but maybe worth repeating in this conversation.

The old Central Catholic gym in downtown Ft. Wayne was the epitome of what a "bandbox" might be considered. Brick walls ran around the entire court and, at most, there was about 2 feet of out of bounds space between the lines and the walls. Besides a challenge during games, this was always a sore spot during PE classes, or any indoor practices, where running wind sprints was involved. The conundrum for the athlete/student/sprinter was that whoever was behind the whistle wanted you to sprint the entire distance. Unfortunately, unless you held up let's say a few feet from the basket, you would smack into the wall if you satisfied the whistle blower. I recall multiple issues of either having to run more sprints, or running stairs, because some kids refused to run hard the entire way.

The stands on one end of the gym were right behind the wall...not more than 5-6 feet from the basket. Central Catholic had a tradition of some good basketball teams, but when I attended, we were not very good. We did have an All-City player, however, who was also known to be a pothead. I recall one game where he took a jumper that missed the basket, backboard and all, and went directly into the seats. 

Unfortunately, the Diocese of Ft. Wayne determined that it could only support 2 Catholic high schools. After my freshman year, I was shipped out to Bishop Dwenger. Several years later, Central Catholic was torn down to make room for administrative buildings for the public school system. They diocese sold bricks from the old school and I have one somewhere.....maybe one that some poor schmuck ran into while trying to impress a coach.

My dad was a south side guy Fort Wayne has a lot of athletic history 

27 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Agree with both of those kokomo/ lafeyette area doesn’t necessarily rival Muncie / new castle but it’s not too far off 

Idk anything about the rest of those schools' facilities. But Kokomo has a great gym, football field is INCREDIBLY nice, and I'm willing to bet they have the nicest HS softball stadium in the Midwest. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Agree with both of those kokomo/ lafeyette area doesn’t necessarily rival Muncie / new castle but it’s not too far off 

I was lucky enough to play and officiate at the Muncie Fieldhouse, New Castle's and Anderson's Gyms many times. When we played at New Castle they had the synthetic floor. If I remember correctly Michigan State had one back in the 70's in Jenison Fieldhouse. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I went when I was younger but don’t recall If it’s different the school itself been rebuilt or remodeled but I know the gym Has been primarily the same since I was in school in the late 90s and it does kind of have an all-around seating set up with an upper and lower deck but it’s not very large so I guess it never stood out to me did you ever go to southern wells ? Similar concept but it’s round / domed 

If you back in time look up what b-ball teams were called.  That be "cagers".  There is a reason for that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Idk anything about the rest of those schools' facilities. But Kokomo has a great gym, football field is INCREDIBLY nice, and I'm willing to be they have the nicest HS softball stadium in the Midwest. 

Kokomo's superintendent, who is fixing to leave for Bloomington schools has done a fantastic job of massively upgrading facilities.  The football and softball fields are unreal.  Probably better than many college facilities on a smaller scale.  All decorated out in limestone pillars and stone.  

The gymnasium is straight old school but has shared with IU-Kokomo basketball and volleyball teams since inception.  So some updating has went into it as well but not as obvious as the fields.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Kokomo's superintendent, who is fixing to leave for Bloomington schools has done a fantastic job of massively upgrading facilities.  The football and softball fields are unreal.  Probably better than many college facilities on a smaller scale.  All decorated out in limestone pillars and stone.  

The gymnasium is straight old school but has shared with IU-Kokomo basketball and volleyball teams since inception.  So some updating has went into it as well but not as obvious as the fields.  

Totally off topic, but I have to laugh when I see you using the word 'fixing' like this.  My wife, who is not from Southern Indiana, has ridiculed me for years whenever I use the word in this fashion.  She's like 'What are you 'fixing?  Did something break?"  

I don't know if any other parts of the country use 'fixing' in this way, but knowing you grew up down in this neck of the woods, I know where you got it from.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Totally off topic, but I have to laugh when I see you using the word 'fixing' like this.  My wife, who is not from Southern Indiana, has ridiculed me for years whenever I use the word in this fashion.  She's like 'What are you 'fixing?  Did something break?"  

I don't know if any other parts of the country use 'fixing' in this way, but knowing you grew up down in this neck of the woods, I know where you got it from.  

I would assume it applies to all of Kentuckiana. haha 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was raised by people who say you'ins.  I don't even know what that means.   Coal miners from Kentucky.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I was lucky enough to play and officiate at the Muncie Fieldhouse, New Castle's and Anderson's Gyms many times. When we played at New Castle they had the synthetic floor. If I remember correctly Michigan State had one back in the 70's in Jenison Fieldhouse. 

It’s always been special at new castle I’m surprised being somewhat centrally located they don’t host a semi state game ( or do they and I missed it ?)

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

It’s always been special at new castle I’m surprised being somewhat centrally located they don’t host a semi state game ( or do they and I missed it ?)

back in the day New Castle hosted the sectional and regional but they went to the Indianapolis semi state

• Like 1