High School Hoops '20-'21

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Nonexistent is a pretty strong word when guys are pretty much entering the Portal on a near daily basis. Covid may have caused an extraordinary amount of transfers and with the new rules kids knowing they weren't going to have to sit out the full year may have caused more.  Obviously the vast vast majority of transfers will occur after the season but we are always going to see mid-season transfers and that was true before these rules were implemented. Water will find its level.  I wonder if there is a website that shows what date a kid entered the portal?

I still think mid-season transfers will happen only in the most extraordinary of circumstances. Before now players usually did that so that they would be able to play part of the next season with their new team. Now it doesn't work that way. If a player transfers in December they'll be able to play at the start of the next season but they will lose the rest of the current season. So there's not any incentive to leave early.

I could be wrong. It just wouldn't make and sense for them to leave early but people will be people 

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I guess I'll take your word for it and call it astounding mid range depth.  

With the new transfer rules, it would be crazy for IU or other major programs to take fliers on a few guys unless you were just supremely confident in your scouting ability.  So it greatly behooves the B1G schools to let the small schools groom them and allow them to grow and develop into men and then recruit them down the road with a year or more of college experience behind them.  

I've said before.  This transfer portal is going to be all day, everyday, 365.  It's intriguing.  Someone said there should be a dead period.  I guess you can say a kid can only join a team in August or December/January but that's not going to stop a kid from saying deuces to a bad situation(in their eyes and mind).  

I actually agree with this fully ....I think the days of the 6’1 and under guards who aren’t freak athletes and the post players who aren’t either massive and athletic or good shooters are going to end up 1 or 2 year rentals at mid majors and there will be almost a secondary recruiting market for 2-4 year transfers 

19 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Well, as much as we have talked about the strength of the Senior Class, that's not surprising.  These teams probably point to who the last 4 to make the all star team were as well.  I know it's a different vote, but probably not significantly different.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IUJoe said:

Was shocked to hear Coach Marty Beasley is leaving Carroll (Ft Wayne) after 16 years to take the DeKalb job.  Anybody know who might have the inside track to the Carroll job?

I will try to get some info on that.  I got an "insider" at Carroll.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

Thanks.  I do too but I haven't heard anything.

Just coming here to post!  LOL

My "contact" was surprised by the move.  But he did say that Beasley was a disciplinarian and that guys have transferred out of the program recently.  He also informed me that Central Noble's Connor Essegian is from Carroll.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Well, as much as we have talked about the strength of the Senior Class, that's not surprising.  These teams probably point to who the last 4 to make the all star team were as well.  I know it's a different vote, but probably not significantly different.

Interesting though that we thought loyer had the chops to lead the pack next year but thought his transfer status may hurt him ....he still got on over the other three potentials we mentioned 

43 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Interesting though that we thought loyer had the chops to lead the pack next year but thought his transfer status may hurt him ....he still got on over the other three potentials we mentioned 

Loyer was also on an undefeated team that had Goode.  We shall see how "Fletch" does next year.  I wonder if he will sport an afro?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, rico said:

Loyer was also on an undefeated team that had Goode.  We shall see how "Fletch" does next year.  I wonder if he will sport an afro?

Did you say essegian was from Carrol ? Boy would they have been stacked with him on the team 

and only if he plays for the lakers and has time between the beach being a tennis pro and founding Harley Davidson 

Edited by IU/Butler/Notre Dame
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rico said:

Just coming here to post!  LOL

My "contact" was surprised by the move.  But he did say that Beasley was a disciplinarian and that guys have transferred out of the program recently.  He also informed me that Central Noble's Connor Essegian is from Carroll.

Central Noble and Churubusco have been pulling basketball players out of Fort Wayne for years. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Central Noble and Churubusco have been pulling basketball players out of Fort Wayne for years. 

Not uncommon practice for teams outside of urban areas to benefit from kids "moving out."

Tri West, Brownsburg, Danville, New Pal, Triton Central... happens everywhere. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not uncommon practice for teams outside of urban areas to benefit from kids "moving out."

Tri West, Brownsburg, Danville, New Pal, Triton Central... happens everywhere. 

Well 'Busco and Central Noble are not the bastions of basketball up my way.  Although 'Busco is a pretty damn good football school.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rico said:

I think the state of Indiana will be a little slower in the migration to using it than other states.  At the high school level, I think it helps the girls game more than the boys game.  On the boy side, except for a handful of schools, I don't see that many teams playing a slowdown game.  The low scores we see are more related to poor offensive execution, bad shooting, and a 32 minute game, more than anything else.

What I would like to see is another minute added to each quarter. Getting it up to a 36 minute game should be worth to 6-8 more points per team.  

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think the state of Indiana will be a little slower in the migration to using it than other states.  At the high school level, I think it helps the girls game more than the boys game.  On the boy side, except for a handful of schools, I don't see that many teams playing a slowdown game.  The low scores we see are more related to poor offensive execution, bad shooting, and a 32 minute game, more than anything else.

What I would like to see is another minute added to each quarter. Getting it up to a 36 minute game should be worth to 6-8 more points per team.  

Hows about we do away with quarters and play halves?