High School Hoops '20-'21

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm really curious to see how Goode does at Illinois.  I'm obviously biased, but I tend to think Kooper Jacobi of Silver Creek is as good as Goode, but Jacobi did not get those high major offers.  Jacobi was averaging over 35 ppg for the first 5 games of the year when Kaufman was out.  He only had 17 last night as Kaufman returned, but when he had to be The Man, he was. 

My viewing of Jacobi is very, very limited.  I have seen plenty of Goode via TV.  So I catch the "highlights".  The thing about Goode is he is so dang skinny.  The weight thing catches my eye as does the lack of foot speed.  

Blackford, with Luke Brown, came down to New Albany and beat the Bulldogs tonight 71-70.  Brown had 17 in the first quarter, 33 for the game (despite being constantly double-teamed), and made a fantastic pass that led to the game winning bucket.  I included more details on my impressions of his game in the Like Brown thread for those of you that may be interested, but no longer visit that thread.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I find it hard to believe there are 17 better players in the Indiana 2021 class.

I've seen about half of the Top 20 players in the state live.  As far as being a high school player, there isn't.  Not even close.  Those recruiting ranking are based on college potential, and that is not as cut and dried.  It may not have superstar talent, but the 2021 class is still extraordinarily deep.  I will say this.  5 years from now, I expect Luke Brown to have had a better college career than many of those ranked ahead of him.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rico said:

Holiday Hoops event at FW Carroll.  Homestead had wins over Brownsburg and Warren Central.

https://www.wane.com/high-school-sports/12-22-optimum-performance-sports-holiday-hoops/

These big holiday tourneys are one of the best things that has happened to Indiana High School Basketball over the last 20-30 years.  Great way to spend a couple of days when there isn't a pandemic to worry about.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

These big holiday tourneys are one of the best things that has happened to Indiana High School Basketball over the last 20-30 years.  Great way to spend a couple of days when there isn't a pandemic to worry about.  

I agree.  Funny though, Homestead was just in one over the week-end and right back at it on Tuesday.  Barring any injuries, the Spartans are the team to beat in 4A in the Northern part of the state.

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They had them back in the day...I remember a friend of mine scoring 32 in the Carmel holiday tourney back in like 78 or so...He's probably still got the newspaper clippings...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

They had them back in the day...I remember a friend of mine scoring 32 in the Carmel holiday tourney back in like 78 or so...He's probably still got the newspaper clippings...

Yeah, in my day the South Bend Holiday tournament was big.  83 or so.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah.  They have been around for a long time.  Silver Creek has one that dates back to the late 60's. or early 70's  Same 4 teams have participated every year.  But, over the course of time the tournaments have gotten bigger.  Most seem to have 8 teams, but there have been instances over the last few years where some have had up tp 16 teams.  And, they bring teams from all over the state, whereas back in the day they used to be more local affairs. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Our future QB hit a game tying 3 to rally his team from being 17 down to Fishers last night. Won in overtime. Coach Allen mentioned how he liked kids who play multiple sports. McCulley is certainly one who fits that mold. 

Did you say he can hit threes?  Maybe we should start a rumor about him talking to the coaches about playing basketball.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Did you say he can hit threes?  Maybe we should start a rumor about him talking to the coaches about playing basketball.

This one was a 30 foot no bank called that somehow dropped....not sure if he'll be pulling from the wing anytime soon at IU for hoops. Haha...this kid has NFL 2023/24 draft written all over him! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Carmel beats Barr-Reeve in a thriller 57-55. Leary's kid with 6 3's including a few clutch shots late. Exciting high school basketball game. Both really good teams obviously being ranked 1st and 2nd in 4A. 

Barr Reeve is actually a 1A school, which makes nearly beating Carmel that much more impressive.

• Like 1