High School Hoops '20-'21

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

No..what I mean is the kid is such a dominant force and imposes such a strong reaction when watching the game that it takes away what people are watching and in paying attention to what Trey is doing. All I know is every game I watched on the internet...I go in looking for Trey...I try to focus on what he is doing and every time.....I come away thinking....DANG that Jacobi kid is good!! That kid a WINNER. He kinda has this aura around him when he is playing that can and does at times over shadow even a super talented D1 Gatorade player of the year....and that is wow! That has to effect the voting....you are watching game tape and film and trying to decide on a player of the year and at the same time all you do is keep coming away impressed with this other kid on the floor that isn't even in the discussion. So you naturally bias your decision for Furst because he isn't being distracted from in the same way. Add that to the fact Trey missed a decent chunk of the season...does it play a factor??? I gotta think so.

Trey losing out on Mr. Basketball is not a crime.  It's a perfectly reasonable outcome.

If Jacobi were to not make the All Star team.....THAT would be a crime.

I know I'm going to be watching Toledo whenever I can next season, because, as you said, he is really fun to watch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Trey losing out on Mr. Basketball is not a crime.  It's a perfectly reasonable outcome.

I know I'm going to be watching Toledo whenever I can next season, because, as you said, he is really fun to watch.

I’m a believer ....the spots are limited but if his state championship performance didn’t get him in there is a problem 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How many games did Trey end up missing this year...and how many did it take for him to ramp up? Yeah even though he is the most gifted and talented player in the state I didn't think he had a shot at Mr. Basketball....so I thought Furst would win given his and his teams performance this year. That said I kinda was surprised by what Barnhizer accomplished this year. I didn't know much about him. I wish I would have followed him to see if he was more deserving of challenging for the title because dang his numbers were IMPRESSIVE.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Definitely not a crime. We've seen some bad decisions over the years...let's say political decisions...and geographical decisions. I remember watching Randolph and Jefferies play each other and it was zero doubt who was the best player on the court...zero...there are other examples obviously but this decision wasn't contraversial imo.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

So Archie lands 3 Mr. Basketballs in a row and can't beat Purdue.....was there any other decision that could be made when Painter landed the top two kids in the state that we had to make a change lol.

Fletcher Loyer next year?  Committed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How many games did Trey end up missing this year...and how many did it take for him to ramp up? Yeah even though he is the most gifted and talented player in the state I didn't think he had a shot at Mr. Basketball....so I thought Furst would win given his and his teams performance this year. That said I kinda was surprised by what Barnhizer accomplished this year. I didn't know much about him. I wish I would have followed him to see if he was more deserving of challenging for the title because dang his numbers were IMPRESSIVE.

He was THAT good ....watch the Carmel game he looked the part.  As far as trey i thought he was still neck and neck if not the front runner I just think thr reasons you mentioned swayed the people who had he and Caleb interchangeably at 1-2.  There were 160 votes to the top three 73-47-40 and I feel like the 40 That voted for brown were voting for him no matter what.  The other 120 certainly had some for Caleb or TK no matter what but I’m positive the undecideds of that group had Caleb and trey 1-2 the difference was those swing folks 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So Archie lands 3 Mr. Basketballs in a row and can't beat Purdue.....was there any other decision that could be made when Painter landed the top two kids in the state that we had to make a change lol.

Amen and not just that he landed the top two ...iu got NONE of the indiana all stars ( regardless of who they are lol )

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He missed the first 5 games of the year.  And, as I mentioned earlier, 2 of those ended up being losses for SC that would not have happened had he played.  Probably another 3-4 games after that before he was 100%.  

Jacobi's stats in the 5 games Trey missed

44/18

32/13

36/12

31/11

33/13 (against Furst and Blackhawk)

• Thanks 2

Well our boys have lost a few over the years when the talent was one sided....that said this one might be especially bad because I think you could take our second five and still kill them.

I bet we're something like 10-2 in our last 12 against them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I will say this....I can't wait...can't wait for the Indiana vs Kentucky All star games!! My god I hope they get played. 

I was listening to a podcast yesterday, where the discussion was whether or not Indiana's 2nd team (players 13 through 25) could beat Kentucky's first team.  That's how deep this class is.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well our boys have lost a few over the years when the talent was one sided....that said this one might be especially bad because I think you could take our second five and still kill them.

Brown barnhizer JR Furst Kaufman 

then avance Wesley goode jacobi and Hughes ( although at this point Hughes and jacobi could possibly be left off which is absurd )

would be the two lineups I’d send out that I think would play very very well together 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

They will. You gonna fly up for them ? I reschedule my vacation for them and brought on the wrath of the Mrs 

No way! Why would I leave paradise for that lol! No unfortunately my work requires I quarantine for 14 days if I fly anywhere...so I'd use way to much leave time. (Don't get me started on this) I also usually save vacation time for end of the year hunting trips. So probably won't be back to Indiana til Nov.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I was listening to a podcast yesterday, where the discussion was whether or not Indiana's 2nd team (players 13 through 25) could beat Kentucky's first team.  That's how deep this class is.  

I don’t know enough  about Kentucky’s class to bet my house but I’d sure bet 100 on the spot 

No way! Why would I leave paradise for that lol! No unfortunately my work requires I quarantine for 14 days if I fly anywhere...so I'd use way to much leave time. (Don't get me started on this) I also usually save vacation time for end of the year hunting trips. So probably won't be back to Indiana til Nov.

Fair enough ....🤬 covid

• Like 1