High School Hoops '20-'21

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@btownqband @IU/Butler/Notre Dame.  Unless I'm overlooking it, you guys left Konieczy (spelling) off your list.  He was in the original Top 6.  Going to have to squeeze that group at the end a little tighter.

No I had him in my first starting five ( JR) I used his first initials so I didn’t screw up his last name

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I will say... the 2nd teammate might be at a slight disadvantage (Jacobi and Hughes) because of them already having a teammate on the team.  

That is a great and unfortunate point my open the door for hopf or Blackman or mantis / Taylor / Perry ....Oh my gosh and we did not even say Pierce Thomas

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I heard Heidbreder created a bit of a buzz at the Top 60 workout.  Apparently played very well.  

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's a stud. 

You guys can help me with this ....the votes are all in before the workout ....do the coaches running the workout get input on selection ? Or is is strictly left to vote totals ?

2 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

You guys can help me with this ....the votes are all in before the workout ....do the coaches running the workout get input on selection ? Or is is strictly left to vote totals ?

Not sure.  I know the workouts used to be looked at as a 'tryout'.  I also know there were times when a player was selected to the team more because of his school coach also being the All-Star coach.  Kind of like Steve Alford making the Olympic team in '84.  Probably would not have happened if Knight had not been coach.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not sure.  I know the workouts used to be looked at as a 'tryout'.  I also know there were times when a player was selected to the team more because of his school coach also being the All-Star coach.  Kind of like Steve Alford making the Olympic team in '84.  Probably would not have happened if Knight had not been coach.    

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Zero clue 

If It is purely on vote that is very rough for those 4 to 10 borderline kids we mentioned earlier in this conversation it would be a shame if they didn’t have an opportunity to play their way on

Just now, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

If It is purely on vote that is very rough for those 4 to 10 borderline kids we mentioned earlier in this conversation it would be a shame if they didn’t have an opportunity to play their way on

I think the workouts still mean something.  Otherwise, why even have them.  I think the announcement of the Top 6 ahead of time is probably done to prevent something really strange from happening.  There was a lot of discussion leading up to this that Avance may not make the team.  Having him be in the Top 6 scuttles that talk.  No way they could leave him off now.  However, whoever finished 7th in the voting?  That guy could conceivably get left off with as close and as deep as this year's team is, especially if he had a bad workout.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think the workouts still mean something.  Otherwise, why even have them.  I think the announcement of the Top 6 ahead of time is probably done to prevent something really strange from happening.  There was a lot of discussion leading up to this that Avance may not make the team.  Having him be in the Top 6 scuttles that talk.  No way they could leave him off now.  However, whoever finished 7th in the voting?  That guy could conceivably get left off with as close and as deep as this year's team is, especially if he had a bad workout.

I hope you’re right because that sounds like the most fair way to do it outside of the coaching staff then having influence over picking their own players or players they are familiar with 

One very interesting aspect of this year's team will be how many players from the Indy Metro will ultimately make the team.  In a normal year, you could expect that number to be a half dozen or more.  This season?  That number could quite a bit smaller.  Quite a few D1 players with accomplished careers in other parts of the state this year.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

One very interesting aspect of this year's team will be how many players from the Indy Metro will ultimately make the team.  In a normal year, you could expect that number to be a half dozen or more.  This season?  That number could quite a bit smaller.  Quite a few D1 players with accomplished careers in other parts of the state this year.

Agreed ...avance is a given but from there I think Thomas hughes Taylor  are all strong candidates but none are locks other than maybe waddell

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I can help here. I voted on our ballot. Basically you pick 12 guys. Rank em 1-12 in order of importance to you. 1 being Mr Basketball. I won’t lie, Luke Brown got my vote. So it will depend who got the most amount of lower number votes. I’m guessing players 9-12 and 13-18 will be within 40-50 votes of each other, meaning 13-18 were that close to making it 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I can help here. I voted on our ballot. Basically you pick 12 guys. Rank em 1-12 in order of importance to you. 1 being Mr Basketball. I won’t lie, Luke Brown got my vote. So it will depend who got the most amount of lower number votes. I’m guessing players 9-12 and 13-18 will be within 40-50 votes of each other, meaning 13-18 were that close to making it 

Coach that is super helpful That is how I thought it worked and if I’m not mistaken votes were due prior to the top 60 workout ....do you know what if any impact the workout has or if the state teams staff gets to have any influence over spots say 7-12 ?