Monroe incident

rico

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I really don't want to excuse bad behavior, but there are a couple of things here that do not make sense to me.

1)  A group was meeting in the Hoosier National FOREST in the middle of the DAY to watch a LUNAR eclipse?  I'm not an astrologist, but none of that makes sense to me.

2)  I never heard the "N" word yelled.  I did hear one of the people holding a camera try to bait one of the red necks into saying it though.

3)  I never heard anyone call for a rope or a noose.

4)  If you truly feared for your life, and were given the chance to escape the circumstances, would you turn back on your way out to confront your attackers again?

5)  The always relevant "What happened before the cameras started rolling"?

I will reserve judgement on this one.  Lots of weirdness here.  Lots of bad behavior.  It brings to mind the phrase "Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life"

Unfortunately, our country seems to have a significant number of "Fat, drunk and stupid" people, who feel it is exactly the way to go through life.

• Like 1

I’m always a step behind.   Every time I hear somebody mention the Lake Monroe incident, I keep thinking it’s the previous one.  

I am sure there will be a Lake Monroe incident post soon where I will immediately think it’s the boys from Deliverance again but it will be some other conflict.  

• Like 2

Guys popular or not the mods are going to step in if/when this starts going off the rails into people's political or socially divisive views. Really, that includes getting into any racial discussion.

It's an incident, it's getting investigated, all fair for discussion, but let's not get into another discussion of race here. This isn't the board for that discussion -- regardless what you post, you will piss people off here. This just isn't a board for race-relations discussion.

• Thanks 1

What has been underreported is if this event took place on private property.  I have rather strong feelings about trespassers as one burned down the house (unoccupied at the time) on our family farm.   I'm curious as to how some of you feel about trespassing, or whether it even matters in this incident.

5 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

What has been underreported is if this event took place on private property.  I have rather strong feelings about trespassers as one burned down the house (unoccupied at the time) on our family farm.   I'm curious as to how some of you feel about trespassing, or whether it even matters in this incident.

The property issue needs to be cleared up. Have dealt with trespassing plenty of times. Sometimes a simple misunderstanding, a few times other hunters blatantly poaching on our land. Many a broken/stolen deer stands and no trespassing signs, ratchet straps.  Had one stand chained and locked to the tree with a door with padlock over the steps and still stolen. Finally caught the guy and dealt with it. Trespassers are like cockroaches. 

That said, unless these people were seriously provoked they overreacted bigtime. I dont respect people that cant handle themselves.

24 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Trespass in general, I don't get my hackles up. It's all about intent to me. Someone wanting to take a nice little stroll in the woods, enjoying nature, no problem. Burn a house, steal deer stands, hunt Genzing... Nope. They need to come ask if they can burn my house, steal my stand or pick my zing first. 

*** As to this incident... I think I'd like to wait from more evidence.

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Trespass in general, I don't get my hackles up. It's all about intent to me. Someone wanting to take a nice little stroll in the woods, enjoying nature, no problem. Burn a house, steal deer stands, hunt Genzing... Nope. They need to come ask if they can burn my house, steal my stand or pick my zing first. 

*** As to this incident... I think I'd like to wait from more evidence.

Woukd it be.ok to eat your porage, try out your favorite chair and maybe take a nap in your bed?

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

To me did he know or should he have known he was trespassing?  Were there signs up and he blatantly ignored them? 

Edited by dbmhoosier

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Woukd it be.ok to eat your porage, try your out your favorite chair and maybe take a nap in your bed?

Obviously you are talking about the one's that picked out of my other "Gensing" patch. I'd let them nap quietly while I rummaged through their VW Micro bus.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That's fair.  I was coming here to say that we've heard one side of the story thus far.  I'm not surprised there are racist idiots in Indiana, but after Jussie Smollett, I'm content to let this story play out completely before assuming guilt or innocence.

Duke LaCrosse team says hello.....

16 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Liell said she and Booker are calling on Holcomb to consider taking guns away from DNR officers and “significantly” limiting their jurisdiction.

Um, what?  Most counties in Indiana only have 2 conservation officers per county often working alone and they have to deal with armed people regularly during hunting seasons. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm not a lawyer, but I know we have a few here...or maybe someone in or familiar with law enforcement knows...

But watching that video, and I assume it was viewed by the officers once they arrived, could the DNR officiers have made an arrest? 

One that would stick?

2 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Whatever charges may be filed will depend greatly on whether many reported details not on the video can be corroborated. 

That's gonna be a he said, she said deal more than likely...

I posed my question above because Mr Booker's attorney said DNR should have arrested somebody on the spot...

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's gonna be a he said, she said deal more than likely...

I posed my question above because Mr Booker's attorney said DNR should have arrested somebody on the spot...

I agree. It will be complicated, at best, if the only reliable evidence is the video. That does show an apparent assault/battery. But, even then, we don't see the preamble to all the commotion.  wasn't responding to your post specifically because I don't have the background to provide a good answer.

If a crime was committed, in the eyes of the law, it doesn't really matter a ton what the provocation was.  Other lawyers can chime in, but I'm struggling to think of the words or phrases that would make what appeared in the video (if deemed a crime) permissible.

If there were actions that provoked, perhaps that's a different story, but still - the point pretty much holds true.  A crime is a crime.