Love 'em. Or, hate 'em.

Late starting games ?

The good news for many Illini BB fans is that their road game on Saturday, Dec. 9 against UNLV is on ESPN2. The bad news is that the game STARTS at midnight E.S.T.  !

Checking IU's Schedule :

Indiana Hoosiers - 2017-18 Men's Basketball Schedule

We have no games stating that late.  But two that start at 9 p.m. E.S.T.  The first is against Illinois which is on Christmas Eve.  The second is at Nebraska on a Tuesday night, in February.

The tv gods are kinder to IU.  However, for me, I would rather have games that started earlier.  Bobby Knight used to get upset with late starting games just to accommodate a tv audience.  Not a fan, of Illini BB.... but feel for many of their fans with the midnight start.  I think that is ridiculous. 

The only thing that bothers me about the late start is when the first game inevitably runs into the start of the second game. Not sure why TV can't figure out how to space the games out properly, doesn't seem like it should be that difficult. It especially irritates me when the first game is a blowout and we have to site there and watch some coach trying to prove a point constantly foul and call timeouts for 5 minutes when the game is clearly over. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The only thing that bothers me about the late start is when the first game inevitably runs into the start of the second game. Not sure why TV can't figure out how to space the games out properly, doesn't seem like it should be that difficult. It especially irritates me when the first game is a blowout and we have to site there and watch some coach trying to prove a point constantly foul and call timeouts for 5 minutes when the game is clearly over. 

AGREED! In addition, it's always some team like Purdue, Duke or Kentucky that I'd rather not have to watch.

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Late starting games ?

The good news for many Illini BB fans is that their road game on Saturday, Dec. 9 against UNLV is on ESPN2. The bad news is that the game STARTS at midnight E.S.T.  !

Checking IU's Schedule :

We have no games stating that late.  But two that start at 9 p.m. E.S.T.  The first is against Illinois which is on Christmas Eve.  The second is at Nebraska on a Tuesday night, in February.

The tv gods are kinder to IU.  However, for me, I would rather have games that started earlier.  Bobby Knight used to get upset with late starting games just to accommodate a tv audience.  Not a fan, of Illini BB.... but feel for many of their fans with the midnight start.  I think that is ridiculous. 

As I'm in the central time zone, I personally don't mind later starts. Gives me time to finish up with work and kids stuff. A 9pm EST is 8pm for and works perfectly.

I wouldn't want to be the players coming home after a late road game however...

45 minutes ago, Reacher said:

AGREED! In addition, it's always some team like Purdue, Duke or Kentucky that I'd rather not have to watch.

As I'm in the central time zone, I personally don't mind later starts. Gives me time to finish up with work and kids stuff. A 9pm EST is 8pm for and works perfectly.

I wouldn't want to be the players coming home after a late road game however...

I think living in the Mountain Time Zone, as I do, is the best time zone of all.  Just as you like the Central, I love the Mountain.  Eight pm starts begin at 6pm for me.... and allow me the opportunity then to watch a late game, without going past midnight.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Late starting games ?

Checking IU's Schedule :

Don't forget the Duke game was at 9:00. 

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I actually prefer the 9 o'clock games.  It's about the time each night when I can finally take a seat and watch.

Nine is reasonable.  But not midnight.  Hope, IU does not schedule teams West of the Colorado river for that very reason.  Or if they do, insist that they are day games on weekends. 

I do appreciate your thoughts.  And thank you for your input.  As I realize some people have work and family things that would conflict with watching an earlier weekday game. 

I’m usually up at 545am during the week. I hate the late weeknight games. I’ll stay up an watch IU regardless, but I hate it! As a previous poster said, the earlier games always run over, so the late game is even later. On weekends I’m good, I’ll watch all night if they are on. Hell, I’ve even watched replays of games I didn’t see, at 2am.

Archived