Lander's in Bloomington

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Crean's team always seem to lose their legs at the end of the season due to the long practices Crean put them through especially at the end of the season.

I thought the last couple years they played better toward the end of the year and didn't look as tired.  But i could be wrong. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

I thought the last couple years they played better toward the end of the year and didn't look as tired.  But i could be wrong. 

You might be right but I was thinking about the 2013 team which seemed to wear down at the end of the season.  I heard about the 3 hour practices the day before a game and that their walk throughs being as intense as regular practices.

Just now, IU Scott said:

You might be right but I was thinking about the 2013 team which seemed to wear down at the end of the season.  I heard about the 3 hour practices the day before a game and that their walk throughs being as intense as regular practices.

Yeah i agree with you there.  He was notorious for long hard practices even on game days or the day before

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The one thing you can though when he was here.  our guys didn't fade toward the end of the season.  They still had the legs and lungs to play, for those that were healthy enough to play that is

I just remember him yelling at the opposing players on the side line like a clown while they were shooting FTs.  Very unprofessional for someone on our staff.  I vaguely remember Ben Howland doing it to one of our guys when we played them in the round of 32 in Sampsons first season.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to remember an interview that TJD did a few weeks ago (maybe over a month) where he said that he vacated #4 so Lander could have it, and he was happy to go to 23.

Makes me wonder if TJD is setting up Lander to feed the post more! :cheers:

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I seem to remember an interview that TJD did a few weeks ago (maybe over a month) where he said that he vacated #4 so Lander could have it, and he was happy to go to 23.

Makes me wonder if TJD is setting up Lander to feed the post more! :cheers:

Smart man

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 4:22 PM, IowaHoosierFan said:

The one thing you can though when he was here.  our guys didn't fade toward the end of the season.  They still had the legs and lungs to play, for those that were healthy enough to play that is

Yes...but people complain about the rotations...but don’t consider how it keeps guys fresh and the defensive intensity high throughout the game....guys have legs at the end of games...and most importantly at the end of the season. I know we sometimes get frustrated by the rotations but I will say this...in a couple years when we have a much deeper and stronger bench you will be excited to throw punch after punch at teams.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:28 PM, IowaHoosierFan said:

My recollection is that Crean took a TON of heat from the fan base for his teams getting worse toward the end of the year, with 2011 and 2016 sticking out as outliers. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes...but people complain about the rotations...but don’t consider how it keeps guys fresh and the defensive intensity high throughout the game....guys have legs at the end of games...and most importantly at the end of the season. I know we sometimes get frustrated by the rotations but I will say this...in a couple years when we have a much deeper and stronger bench you will be excited to throw punch after punch at teams.

I felt that Crean's team wore out by the end of the year and the 2013 year is proof of that.  He was famous for his 3 hour practices the day before the game and all the analysts always talked about how hard their walk throughs were as well

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My recollection is that Crean took a TON of heat from the fan base for his teams getting worse toward the end of the year, with 2011 and 2016 sticking out as outliers. 

My thing besides the up and down recruiting and inconsistence seasons is that his teams were undisciplined and lax with the ball. Way too many turnovers and not just forced turnovers...the kind you should have not be making late in the season. They just didn’t learn..and even upper class man. Driving baseline constantly getting trapped with no where to go...jumping in the air to pass...taking horrible passing angles and let’s not go there with the defensive intensity. Anyways they stuff by the end of the year still happening and worse still happening into junior and senior players got old. Pull your hair out crazy.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Deflections were to heavily emphasized as well. We’d Get 3 deflections on a possession but end up giving up a wide open 3.  

Crean gets a lot of heat for deflections, but that’s a very common thing for a basketball coach to track pretty closely. I’ve heard Pitino does that as well. My college coach wouldn’t even come into the locker room at halftime until our assistant had tabulated the first half deflections for each player and the team total. 

Archived