Lander's in Bloomington

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Crean gets a lot of heat for deflections, but that’s a very common thing for a basketball coach to track pretty closely. I’ve heard Pitino does that as well. My college coach wouldn’t even come into the locker room at halftime until our assistant had tabulated the first half deflections for each player and the team total. 

I think it’s an important thing to keep track of.  But it can’t be the sole focus of a defense. And it seemed like they were. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think it’s an important thing to keep track of.  But it can’t be the sole focus of a defense. And it seemed like they were. 

Agree. There can definitely be a negative to the stat because you can find yourself gambling or fouling just to try and get a finger tip on a ball, etc. 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. There can definitely be a negative to the stat because you can find yourself gambling or fouling just to try and get a finger tip on a ball, etc. 

I think in general I think stats are too simplified with taking into account result.  

Im always reminded of Roy Hubert against the heat.  He was getting blocks but they always ended up in a heat players hands for an open 3.  

Ive always felt Blocks should be in 3 categories. Recovered, Reset, Deadball. 

Deflections I would judge based on if the opposing team is less likely to score after one. 

8 hours ago, Sark said:

It was never the prime objective for Crean, but it’s a metric that forces an offense reset and is a negative to the shot clock. That’s why he and other coaches care about it and track it. Read up on Pitino’s views as he summarizes it much better than Crean ever did.

Yeah, I know the importance of the stat. Like I said, my college coach wouldn’t even enter the locker room at halftime without the first half deflections tabulated from our assistant. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been yelled at during halftime for not having enough deflections. 

8 hours ago, Sark said:

It was never the prime objective for Crean, but it’s a metric that forces an offense reset and is a negative to the shot clock. That’s why he and other coaches care about it and track it. Read up on Pitino’s views as he summarizes it much better than Crean ever did.

It may never have been the key point of the defense but sure as heck looked like it 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I know the importance of the stat. Like I said, my college coach wouldn’t even enter the locker room at halftime without the first half deflections tabulated from our assistant. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been yelled at during halftime for not having enough deflections. 

Deflections I think are important in the right context like you said. I look at them in the same context that say a manager would his salesmen. It isnt always the results that they are only tracking. Sure that’s the goal and that’s important in the end...but mostly you want to track behaviors. If they are making quality calls/convos, asking the right questions, following up, asking for the referral so on and do forth. The things that lead to sales...because if they aren’t doing those things and you aren’t measuring for them...it’s hard to say if they are doing a good job sometimes because some times the results don’t match reality of what is happening. Just like with deflections...it’s a hallmark/behavior of good defense. Being in the right position, being alert, being active. If guys are doing that steals and forced low percentage offense will be the likely end result...not always but it’s far more likely. Sometimes teams get lucky and the ball bounces to an open man...sometimes teams get bailed out by hot shooting but they typically return to the mean of you stick with it. That’s why it’s measured and important. 

6 hours ago, H00sier said:

I’ve said before and say it again, Coach Miller’s teams seem to get stronger towards the end of year, which as stated above was something Coach Crean’s teams always seemed wore out.

Good team and coaches peak at the right time.  Izzo is famous for his team peaking right around tournament time.

Archived