Big Ten: Conference-Only Schedule

KDB

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Sark said:

We could stretch to a 6th win, but it’s highly unlikely. So, I’ll say 4 to 5 wins, if that is easier for you to understand.

I’m sick of this attitude.  You don’t get the culture here.  It’s childish and this is not the standard here.  

Leathernecks doesn’t need me to defend him but he’s as intelligent as we have got here.  He teaches chemistry and physics and has a degree in chemistry while he played a college sport.  And he knows his stuff about football.  He’s an amazing asset for our community.  I don’t get your need to belittle.  If you think you are so smart, there is plenty of stuff you have said that I thought about belittling you for, but in the end, I didn’t want to let down other posters by stooping to that.  

People here disagree.  But we do it with respect for the other person and for the most part handle it on the merits without passive aggressiveness and/or belittling language.   I disagreed with someone who I have the highest respect for over Mike Gundy.  It never got personal and we dm’d to make sure we were all good.  Also, flexibility and open mindedness is always a good trait.  I’ve had many opinions changed over the years because smart posters have persuaded me.  Others are the same.  

You seem to be used to a different standard of behavior from other boards.  Heck, maybe you created the atmosphere.  That ain’t happening here.  This is tight knit community.   My recommendation is you change your approach and attitude.  Whatever you’re doing, it’s not working.  Nobody wants to see passive aggressive or belittling tone and attitude.  I’m not saying everyone is perfect all the time and we all have bad days. Heck 2020 has done a number on all of our psyches.  But you are more in the pattern of passive aggressive or outwardly snarky behavior, not one offs on a bad day.  

You can take this as a lecture or you can take it as advice of how the culture here works.  

I must be in the vast minority and have huge homerism because I actually don't think the schedule played out that horrible.

• I like getting Wisconsin in week 1, they lost quite a bit and with practices interrupted by COVID and likely drastically reduced number of fans if any I think we have a fair chance to pull the upset.
  • Home game with Penn State, we are due for a win against Penn State, have come close.  This season it happens.
  • Home game with Illinois I feel confident we get the W
  • At OSU is a Loss
  • At Minny is likely a Loss
  • Home game with Michigan, similar as Penn State, we are due and have come close recently, we get over the hump this year
  • Home with Maryland is a W
  • At Rutgers is a W
  • At MSU, this is the season, W
  • Purdue in Btown is a W

I think 6-8 wins seems realistic this season.

Just now, Sark said:

Your disagreements with me have been highly personal.  The culture you claim exists isn’t practiced by you toward me, which is one of the reasons I seldom engage with you. No interest in personalizing anything but Leathernecks initiated it in his response and you followed. I was wrong to take the bait as, out of necessity, I’ve become accustomed to turning the other cheek. 

I’m not worried about you engaging with me.  You can pretend there’s isn’t a problem all you want. I’m not a moderator but I will predict you won’t last long here if you don’t modify your tone.  

You also have a knack for providing an opinion and treating it like fact, including items where you have no way of knowing the reality.  “Justin Smith is a better athlete than Jordan Geronimo.  Prove it that Geronimo is as good or better.”  Then you condescendingly attributed the counter opinion to an instagram photo showing Geronimo after lifting.  That’s essentially what you did the other day.  It’s like talking to a brick wall when you do that.  

2 hours ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I must be in the vast minority and have huge homerism because I actually don't think the schedule played out that horrible.

• I like getting Wisconsin in week 1, they lost quite a bit and with practices interrupted by COVID and likely drastically reduced number of fans if any I think we have a fair chance to pull the upset.
  • Home game with Penn State, we are due for a win against Penn State, have come close.  This season it happens.
  • Home game with Illinois I feel confident we get the W
  • At OSU is a Loss
  • At Minny is likely a Loss
  • Home game with Michigan, similar as Penn State, we are due and have come close recently, we get over the hump this year
  • Home with Maryland is a W
  • At Rutgers is a W
  • At MSU, this is the season, W
  • Purdue in Btown is a W

I think 6-8 wins seems realistic this season.

Well Minnesota's best WR opted out of the year so that will help our chances against them.  I also just saw that PSU top linebacker Micah Parsons has opted out of the season as well.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m sick of this attitude.  You don’t get the culture here.  It’s childish and this is not the standard here.  

Leathernecks doesn’t need me to defend him but he’s as intelligent as we have got here.  He teaches chemistry and physics and has a degree in chemistry while he played a college sport.  And he knows his stuff about football.  He’s an amazing asset for our community.  I don’t get your need to belittle.  If you think you are so smart, there is plenty of stuff you have said that I thought about belittling you for, but in the end, I didn’t want to let down other posters by stooping to that.  

People here disagree.  But we do it with respect for the other person and for the most part handle it on the merits without passive aggressiveness and/or belittling language.   I disagreed with someone who I have the highest respect for over Mike Gundy.  It never got personal and we dm’d to make sure we were all good.  Also, flexibility and open mindedness is always a good trait.  I’ve had many opinions changed over the years because smart posters have persuaded me.  Others are the same.  

You seem to be used to a different standard of behavior from other boards.  Heck, maybe you created the atmosphere.  That ain’t happening here.  This is tight knit community.   My recommendation is you change your approach and attitude.  Whatever you’re doing, it’s not working.  Nobody wants to see passive aggressive or belittling tone and attitude.  I’m not saying everyone is perfect all the time and we all have bad days. Heck 2020 has done a number on all of our psyches.  But you are more in the pattern of passive aggressive or outwardly snarky behavior, not one offs on a bad day.  

You can take this as a lecture or you can take it as advice of how the culture here works.  

I guarantee the person you are arguing with came over here from rivals and he started with an user name of Ordfan.  He was condescending just like Sark who knew all and thought he was smarter than anyone else on the board.  He kept getting banned but kept coming back with a new user name.  it did not take long for people to realize that that he was back under a new name.  This is the reason I wanted the mods to do something about him because he ruined the board over at rivals and don't want to see that happen here.  Like I said you can put him on ignore but if others keep going back and forth with him it still clutters the board and you can see it.

Been gone all day after the announcement this morning. Maybe it's the optimistic side in me but seeing people say 3-4 wins to me is just off. Sure at Wisconsin, at Ohio St are probably losses but we can certainly beat Illinois and we've been so close vs Penn St. I have us 2-2 before bye. When did Minny become some gauntlet? Their best player opted out. 

The final 4 are all wins....Maryland, Rutgers, Sparty, and Purdue. 

So to me we have 5 wins locked up (4 I just said plus Illinois).....and games vs Penn St, Michigan at home and at Minny is the difference in our season. I'd like to think we get at least 1 of those. We have what 17-18 returning starters?

Again maybe it's the optimistic side in me but I see 6 wins minimum and a good chance for 7.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Been gone all day after the announcement this morning. Maybe it's the optimistic side in me but seeing people say 3-4 wins to me is just off. Sure at Wisconsin, at Ohio St are probably losses but we can certainly beat Illinois and we've been so close vs Penn St. I have us 2-2 before bye. When did Minny become some gauntlet? Their best player opted out. 

So to me we have 5 wins locked up (4 I just said plus Illinois).....and games vs Penn St, Michigan at home and at Minny is the difference in our season. I'd like to think we get at least 1 of those. We have what 17-18 returning starters?

Again maybe it's the optimistic side in me but I see 6 wins minimum and a good chance for 7.

Preach!

We return almost everybody from an 8 win team that a lot of advanced metrics placed in the top 25 last year.

If we don't beat at least one of OSU, PSU, Mich, Wis, and Minn, I'll be a little disappointed.  We should be able to hang with at least 3 of those teams. 

10 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Preach!

We return almost everybody from an 8 win team that a lot if advanced metrics placed in the top 25 last year.

If we don't beat at least one of OSU, PSU, Mich, Wis, and Minn, I'll be a little disappointed.  We should be able to hang with at least 3 of those teams. 

Same here....lot needs to happen between now and next month but I'm still not convinced we can't give Wisconsin all they can handle. They are class program and obviously very, very good but no home crowd. Turnover on their roster. Who knows??

Just now, Sark said:

They lost a couple of key people on offense in Cepheus and Taylor, but they always find good backs and their O line is big and physical. On D they have 9 starters back and a dominant D line. We'llneed a lot of breaks to beat them, especially since big physical teams tend to give us so much trouble.

I dont believe for an instant we will need a lot of breaks. 

Now.. UW shows up and plays their best game at home, yeah we can't beat them. 

BUT they show up and play average, and we bring it... we will beat them.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs with wording, but I dont believe we are "a lot of breaks away" from beating them. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Bucket game should be a good one. I like our chances to bring it back to WL. But your first 6 games are brutal. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Same here....lot needs to happen between now and next month but I'm still not convinced we can't give Wisconsin all they can handle. They are class program and obviously very, very good but no home crowd. Turnover on their roster. Who knows??

We have a really solid team all around and the best depth I can remember. I really think Penix is going to be what pushes us over the top. I do think Wisconsin will be our 2nd toughest game, but if we can get a couple early stops and put up some early points, we'll have a shot. I don’t like our odds coming from behind.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I dont believe for an instant we will need a lot of breaks. 

Now.. UW shows up and plays their best game at home, yeah we can't beat them. 

BUT they show up and play average, and we bring it... we will beat them.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs with wording, but I dont believe we are "a lot of breaks away" from beating them. 

I think to beat OSU we'd need a lot of breaks, but I don't put Wisconsin in their category.

I don’t know how to put it without sounding inappropriate, but once Penix starts punching people in the mouth, all bets are off.

He can take us from needing a lot of breaks to not needing many/any breaks.

Archived