Best Baseball Play by Play Guy

IUFLA

40 minutes ago, rico said:

I enjoyed John Miller on Sunday Night Baseball.

I always did too...And I always wondered why ESPN replaced him and Joe Morgan...

Not the first or last time ESPN made a dumb decision though...

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Same. Piggyback on conversation in other thread....just ESPN ESPNing. 

Yeah, and with some of Sage Steele's comments the last few days, she might be the next to go.

She's one of my favorites ever, but she's not toeing the company line...good for her...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, and with some of Sage Steele's comments the last few days, she might be the next to go.

She's one of my favorites ever, but she's not toeing the company line...good for her...

Besides her Carmel/IU ties and local to Indy when she first got started she's to me one of the best voices going. Strong, articulate, and always prepared. Maybe this is all part of Fox/BTN to get let ESPN keep on doing their stupidity and get Sage to Fox.

I'd love to see Sage do the national Fox show on game days (college football and hoops). Maybe my dream of Sage and Gus Johnson calling a game from Carnegie Hall of Hoops still has a chance to happen?

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe my dream of Sage and Gus Johnson calling a game from Carnegie Hall of Hoops still has a chance to happen?

That would be a Dream Team...

One of my favorite images from this year was Sage being overcome with emotion when RMK made his return...

Dammit (sniff)...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That would be a Dream Team...

One of my favorite images from this year was Sage being overcome with emotion when RMK made his return...

Dammit (sniff)...

That's the thing. To keep it in line with thread....what one play by play announcer or anchor can honestly look in the camera each night and say ESPN is doing things the right way? If it wasn't for the $....I'd have to believe 75% or more of the vets there just have to shake their head. Dan Patrick has been quietly laughing over the past couple months on his show and of course Clay Travis (and others) have been suggesting this model breakdown for years. 

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Back in the day I liked Al Michaels doing Monday Night baseball on ABC.  I also liked listening to NBC's baseball crew with Joe Garagiola and Tony Kubek and Bob Costas.

I remember ABC's "Monday Night Baseball" as being quite comical.  Keith Jackson and Howard Cosell doing baseball games?

1 hour ago, rico said:

I remember ABC's "Monday Night Baseball" as being quite comical.  Keith Jackson and Howard Cosell doing baseball games?

Yeah, it was. Cosell had to dominate everything he did. Jackson did too, but to a much lesser extent, and he WAS the play by play guy, so he should have done most of the talking...Cosell was good doing boxing, and interviews (he would ask the uncomfortable questions) but I thought he was a disaster in the booth on both Monday Night Baseball and Football...

Cosell was the first "non-jock" to really do color commentary, and in my eyes has kind of led us to where we are today in sports journalism, particularly ESPN's brand. More shows by commentators who never played but think they're experts on the game and trying to make you believe they "know what it's like" while trying to generate controversy. More non-jocks" in the booth (remember Denis Miller and Tony Kornheiser?) taking away from the game itself.

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, it was. Cosell had to dominate everything he did. Jackson did too, but to a much lesser extent, and he WAS the play by play guy, so he should have done most of the talking...Cosell was good doing boxing, and interviews (he would ask the uncomfortable questions) but I thought he was a disaster in the booth on both Monday Night Baseball and Football...

Cosell was the first "non-jock" to really do color commentary, and in my eyes has kind of led us to where we are today in sports journalism, particularly ESPN's brand. More shows by commentators who never played but think they're experts on the game and trying to make you believe they "know what it's like" while trying to generate controversy. More non-jocks" in the booth (remember Denis Miller and Tony Kornheiser?) taking away from the game itself.

Wow. Forgot how bad MNF booths were back in the late 90's. Dennis Miller to save the day? Haha. Almost had him out of my memory. Haha.

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I used to like Gifford, and Meredith had an irreverence that was great.  You knew you had a big game.

But they had some disasters.  Kornheiser and Miller? What were they thinking?  OJ. Terrible.  Didn’t they try Namath for like 5 minutes?  Dan Dierdorf sounded like a nag.  They are in a mess again now too. Booger MacFarland is like a sleep aid. 

Some of the really nice broadcasters did radio play by play for local teams.  Bob Uecker is still kicking.  Marty. Jack Buck.  I used to get Ernie Harwell (he would say stuff about fans and make up a hometown for them “nice lollipop for the youngster from Saginaw”).   There’s something really special about that concept of the long time local broadcaster who becomes synonymous with the team and the city.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

And it felt like 90% of the games were from Dodger Stadium or Yankee Stadium. Drysdale would be in there too.  I thought he was pretty good.  

Ya got to remember that back in those days Monday was usually an off day.  ABC didn't get much of a selection.  I was always game for a Yankees/Royals or Dodgers/Philly or Pittsburgh back in those days.

Archived