Best Baseball Play by Play Guy

IUFLA

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Some of the really nice broadcasters did radio play by play for local teams.  Bob Uecker is still kicking.  Marty. Jack Buck.  I used to get Ernie Harwell (he would say stuff about fans and make up a hometown for them “nice lollipop for the youngster from Saginaw”).   There’s something really special about that concept of the long time local broadcaster who becomes synonymous with the team and the city.  

Oh, have I heard my share of Jack Buck/Mike Shannon games. They were great together. Even though I despise the Cardinals, I do have to say they were excellent.

My 2nd favorite Jack Buck call (first was Kirby Puckett's 1991 WS Game 6 game winner..."We will see you, tomorrow night!)...

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, have I heard my share of Jack Buck/Mike Shannon games. They were great together. Even though I despise the Cardinals, I do have to say they were excellent.

My 2nd favorite Jack Buck call (first was Kirby Puckett's 1991 WS Game 6 game winner..."We will see you, tomorrow night!)...

By the way, two things...

That was Ozzie Smith first major league home run hitting left handed (it was 7th year in the bigs)...

And poor Tom Niedenfuer...he gave up The Wizard's homer, and 2 days later would give up Jack Clark's bomb at Dodger Stadium in game 6 to seal the deal for the Cardinals. To this day I'll never understand why Lasorda didn't walk "The Ripper." 

The aforementioned Jack Clark Home Run in Game 6 of the 1985 NLCS...As I said, I could never understand why they pitched to Clark with 1st base open...

But Lasorda did have one of the great lines afterwards...

"After he hit the home run, even my wife knew we should have walked him."

8 hours ago, rico said:

^^^^Sean is a great announcer period.  I had forgot about him.

The things I loved about that game were Sid Bream, after 5 knee surgeries, chugging toward home with every ounce of determination that he could muster...

Plus, Frankie Cabrerra, another "no name" player making a name for himself in baseball's post season...

Gene Larkin

Brian Doyle

Sandy Amoros

Dusty Rhodes

Don Larsen

That's what makes baseball great...bit players coming up and doing great things in the spotlight...doesn't happen much in other sports...

On 7/19/2020 at 7:19 PM, IUFLA said:

A very underrated (in my opinion) Sean McDonough...And another great finish to an NLCS...

One of the other things I love about baseball...Sometimes, it's the really little things...

Watch the way Bream, who was not the fleetest of foot, cuts the 3rd base bag...textbook...and he beats the throw by a whisker...

Possibly the difference between going to the World Series or going home...

Archived