Report: Zions step dad took 400K

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

So let me play this out...he took money, it was some unconnected person with Duke, Duke says “had no idea!” And everyone goes back to normal?

You forgot the part when the NCAA apologizes to Coach K and Duke for any inconvenience or embarrassment they may have encountered. The apology settlement will include allowing Coach K to handpick all three, rather than two, of the refs that call each of their games. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

Great last sentence:

The rank hypocrisy is becoming clearer every day, and if Duke comes under the microscope, there will be no way to hide the glaring truth that the entire corrupt enterprise is not due to a few bad actors, but to the bogus, thieving nature of the NCAA's "legal" system of exploitation.

40 minutes ago, Maud'Dib said:

And what a shocker how quickly the story disappeared from espn website.  Literally the same day it was posted.  Hmmmm 

Was typical listening to Golic and Wingo on this today. Golic Sr. and Wingo were off, so it was Golic. Jr. and Jason Spitz (I might have his name wrong), and they basically just left it as Duke probably had no idea and assuming they didn’t then it’s a non-story, just a kids Dad getting paid off the system designed to exploit his son. 

Crazy how often ESPN buries these stories. They barely uttered a peep on the UNC academic scandal several years ago. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Crazy how often ESPN buries these stories. They barely uttered a peep on the UNC academic scandal several years ago. 

ESPN's president is a UNC grad. There was nothing about the scandal up until it ended, then it was breaking news. Typical and totally expected. 

Coach K went to West Point.  Say what you want, but he’s highly intelligent.  He knows how to rig it to not be in the chain of money.  He will never go down.  99.9999 solid on that.  He won’t goof it up.  He had a period where his teams were slow and stiff.  To change course, he made a decision to wade into corrupt waters, just like John Wooden, to close out his career using the mercenary model.  

Pretty sad state for a school that is an academic giant.    

43 minutes ago, Sark said:

Do you think K learned all of that from his mentor and close friend, Bob Knight? Knight is devoted to K, by the way.

Seriously?  45 years have passed since they worked together on a college staff.  K is very obviously a legend in his own right and functions as his own man.  The notion that he would have to be running this through Knight is ridiculous on its face.

You’re in fantasy land if you think Duke is operating on a fair plane.  Players have been getting paid going back to at least Corey Magette. 

But don’t worry, he will remain inviolate.  I’m sure we will see quite a bit of sanctimony from him in the meantime. That’s his move.   

1 minute ago, Sark said:

Just wondered if you thought he learned it from Knight. Why do you think Knight, a serial rule follower, continues to think so highly of K? Strange that he’d be so fond of a known cheater. Same goes for Archie and Cal.

I’m not a psychologist or mind reader so I have no idea about the basis of their friendships.  I do know that both relationships go back to formative years.  I’m loyal to my friends from way back as most people are.  The way you’re piecing together your argument is up to you but I’m not buying any of it as indicative of anything beyond what I said above.  

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Coach K went to West Point.  Say what you want, but he’s highly intelligent.  He knows how to rig it to not be in the chain of money.  He will never go down.  99.9999 solid on that.  He won’t goof it up.  He had a period where his teams were slow and stiff.  To change course, he made a decision to wade into corrupt waters, just like John Wooden, to close out his career using the mercenary model.  

Pretty sad state for a school that is an academic giant.    

The thing is that his 2010 team was not overly talented but still won a championship so why did he feel he had to start cheating.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not a psychologist or mind reader so I have no idea about the basis of their friendships.  I do know that both relationships go back to formative years.  I’m loyal to my friends from way back as most people are.  The way you’re piecing together your argument is up to you but I’m not buying any of it as indicative of anything beyond what I said above.  

Actually after the 92 final four RMK and coach K had some problems so it is not like they have been best friends for all of these years.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that his 2010 team was not overly talented but still won a championship so why did he feel he had to start cheating.

There were issues at Duke before then, but what changed was Cal going to UK. That changed the landscape in terms of the recruiting competition and how it was done. Cal waltzed into North Carolina and pulled John Wall from Duke and UNC before he ever coached a game at UK. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

There were issues at Duke before then, but what changed was Cal going to UK. That changed the landscape in terms of the recruiting competition and how it was done. Cal waltzed into North Carolina and pulled John Wall from Duke and UNC before he ever coached a game at UK. 

You would think that since he is probably one of the top 3 coaches of all time would have enough confidence in his coaching that he would be up for a challenge.  Just don't understand him think he had to change because it has been proven that this route does not translate into a lot of championships.  He was a dominate coach who is one of the best so there would be no need to cheat.  I guess it is like Bill Belecheick who does not need to cheat but he still does it anyways.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You would think that since he is probably one of the top 3 coaches of all time would have enough confidence in his coaching that he would be up for a challenge.  Just don't understand him think he had to change because it has been proven that this route does not translate into a lot of championships.  He was a dominate coach who is one of the best so there would be no need to cheat.  I guess it is like Bill Belecheick who does not need to cheat but he still does it anyways.

USA basketball changed some things for him too. But in K’s defense, while you clearly don’t need one and dones to win titles, he did win a title with a one and done led team. 

But Cal going to UK really changed things IMO. K always had competition for recruits, but all of the sudden Cal was pulling 3-4 top 15ish guys per class. That changed things. 

Just now, BGleas said:

USA basketball changed some things for him too. But in K’s defense, while you clearly don’t need one and dones to win titles, he did win a title with a one and done led team. 

But Cal going to UK really changed things IMO. K always had competition for recruits, but all of the sudden Cal was pulling 3-4 top 15ish guys per class. That changed things. 

NO doubt and the one and done rule change him as well because he used to be able to keep his star players for 4 years.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:10 PM, milehiiu said:

Sold out for just $400k?   Zion was worth at least twice more.   Just kidding .   LOL  This is just pathetic.

No you are right...worth way more...but do you think this was the only payoff lol. Yeah everybody had their hand in the cookie jar on this one.

Archived