Report: Zions step dad took 400K

Yeah, Knight and K seemed to patch things up a long time ago. Though with that said, Knight and K’s relationship really has nothing to do with wether K is dirty or not. Those two things are completely separate. 

I don’t know how anyone can look at the Duke program and think there aren’t shady things going on? The question is what does K know vs. what he doesn’t know. Understanding how smart K is and his background, I’m sure things are set up through Nike, etc., in a way that K can have his head buried in the sand and truly claim he has no idea. 

But, is that really a defense when your best players family moves into a multimillion dollar home near campus and they’re all driving super expensive cars out of nowhere? Does K have a responsibility to look into that?

i actually really don’t know. What is K supposed to do at that point? Is he supposed to report Zion and his family to the NCAA? That’s not to realistic for a multitude of reasons. So what does he do? Probably exactly what he’s done, keep his head buried. 

My problem with K is how sanctimonious he plays it in the media, all holier than thou when clearly his players are getting paid large numbers and his program and legacy are benefitting from it big time. 

I don’t know what the answer is. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, Knight and K seemed to patch things up a long time ago. Though with that said, Knight and K’s relationship really has nothing to do with wether K is dirty or not. Those two things are completely separate. 

I don’t know how anyone can look at the Duke program and think there aren’t shady things going on? The question is what does K know vs. what he doesn’t know. Understanding how smart K is and his background, I’m sure things are set up through Nike, etc., in a way that K can have his head buried in the sand and truly claim he has no idea. 

But, is that really a defense when your best players family moves into a multimillion dollar home near campus and they’re all driving super expensive cars out of nowhere? Does K have a responsibility to look into that?

i actually really don’t know. What is K supposed to do at that point? Is he supposed to report Zion and his family to the NCAA? That’s not to realistic for a multitude of reasons. So what does he do? Probably exactly what he’s done, keep his head buried. 

My problem with K is how sanctimonious he plays it in the media, all holier than thou when clearly his players are getting paid large numbers and his program and legacy are benefitting from it big time. 

You just expressed my views succinctly. 

I think it’s naive of anyone - Duke fans or otherwise - to claim Duke runs an actually clean program, there have already been past issues. That said, I don’t know how involved or uninvolved K is in some of the shady stuff — I’d bet he’s by and large uninvolved himself —
but the coach is responsible for the program, and that’s where you get into lack of institutional control, failure to monitor, etc - you can’t just dig your head in the sand 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You know, the really sad thing to me is, if he does know, complicit or not, it didn't have to be that way...

Coach K has the coaching chops, the reputation, and all of the advantages Duke basketball enjoys (brand name, rabid fan base, national recruiting scope which he helped build) to win with less than one and done talent. As a matter of fact, looking at his recent record, going for the one and done players might not have been the best road for him. The easiest maybe, but not the best...

Bennett and Wright have proven that you don't necessarily have to have one and done talent to win a National Championship...I'm sure Coach K rivals both in coaching strategy...But I think he's kinda lost his way on how to maintain the program that he built...

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think it’s naive of anyone - Duke fans or otherwise - to claim Duke runs an actually clean program, there have already been past issues. That said, I don’t know how involved or uninvolved K is in some of the shady stuff — I’d bet he’s by and large uninvolved himself —
but the coach is responsible for the program, and that’s where you get into lack of institutional control, failure to monitor, etc - you can’t just dig your head in the sand 

Like I have said many times he and Cal are like mob bosses where they out out a hit but have enough distance to not get charged.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, the really sad thing to me is, if he does know, complicit or not, it didn't have to be that way...

Coach K has the coaching chops, the reputation, and all of the advantages Duke basketball enjoys (brand name, rabid fan base, national recruiting scope which he helped build) to win with less than one and done talent. As a matter of fact, looking at his recent record, going for the one and done players might not have been the best road for him. The easiest maybe, but not the best...

Bennett and Wright have proven that you don't necessarily have to have one and done talent to win a National Championship...I'm sure Coach K rivals both in coaching strategy...But I think he's kinda lost his way on how to maintain the program that he built...

The thing is though, K has almost always had one and done talent, there just wasn’t a one and done model. I’m not sure K has really changed at all in terms of who he recruits, the environment around him changed. 

So in the mid-to-late 2000’s around him you have the advent of the one and done model by the NBA, Coach K becoming the USA coach which raised his “cool”profile with recruits, and Cal turning the system upside down a bit with his arrival at UK in 2010. 

I think K went a couple years where the recruits he typically always got weren’t coming as often, so then you have to decide if you’re going to stay in the game or get out, and we have seen what choice was made. 

32 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It doesn't matter if his hands are personally clean.  He knows it's happening so he's playing with fire. He doesn't have to he personally involved for his program to be sanctioned. I think it's extraordinarily arrogant for him to just assume his program won't get in trouble for blatant crap like this.

The obvious answer is to put the message out that if you're dirty, we won't play. Find a dirty program to play for, but K obviously values winning over running a clean program and he obviously thinks he'll get away with it.  Given the rule changes coming, about allowing players to be paid, he may be right. Disgusting. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The thing is though, K has almost always had one and done talent, there just wasn’t a one and done model. I’m not sure K has really changed at all in terms of who he recruits, the environment around him changed. 

So in the mid-to-late 2000’s around him you have the advent of the one and done model by the NBA, Coach K becoming the USA coach which raised his “cool”profile with recruits, and Cal turning the system upside down a bit with his arrival at UK in 2010. 

I think K went a couple years where the recruits he typically always got weren’t coming as often, so then you have to decide if you’re going to stay in the game or get out, and we have seen what choice was made. 

I agree with that..

There's always been "cheating" in college basketball recruiting...And I don't think changing the NBA entry rules will have much of an effect...The whole model is being turned on its head with the advent of the G League and the opportunities overseas...I hope our staff has the long term vision to compete in that environment...So far, I'm encouraged...But the landscape will change again soon...

17 minutes ago, Sark said:

I was just curious as to why Knight continues to be so fond of and respectful of him when some consider him to be a cheater. Knight was a serial rule follower yet he’s a huge fan of a known cheater? Strange.

I think it's a little bit late in Coach Knights life to vilify him for any of his personal relationships...

I have a childhood friend who served time in prison for drugs... Don't like what he did, but he's still my friend...

1 minute ago, Sark said:

That’s not analogous. Knight has always had respect for MK and has never questioned his ethics. But I understand what the real issue is here.

Quite analogous...

At this point in his life, Coach Knight has bigger obstacles to overcome than worrying about whether rumors of Coach K's alleged indiscretions are true or not...

1 hour ago, Sark said:

That’s not analogous. Knight has always had respect for MK and has never questioned his ethics. But I understand what the real issue is here.

You have no idea whatsoever if Knight has ever questioned his ethics.  There are a range of possibilities that you’re not privy to.  He may not know or care at this stage what K is involved with.  He may be following what IUFLA aptly described (about his own friend) that he doesn’t agree with everything K is involved with, but K is still his guy.  Maybe he realizes K has become a huge figure and he likes the narrative of being his mentor and enjoying that.  For all you know he cries himself to sleep wondering where he went wrong with K.  

Your posts are consistently flawed in that you make pronouncements on a variety of subjects as if they are fact.  Most rational posters use wording that recognizes limitations that the truth is not always available.  

Beyond all that, your thesis that Knight likes K so that proves K is clean is one of the most poorly reasoned theories I’ve seen.  

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Coach K is a modern day John Wooden...plays the same game. 

3 hours ago, Sark said:

I was just curious as to why Knight continues to be so fond of and respectful of him when some consider him to be a cheater. Knight was a serial rule follower yet he’s a huge fan of a known cheater? Strange.

Again, so what? You don’t think Knight is friends with people that have done bad things? Knight himself has done several bad things. Knight is great friends with Tony LaRusso, yet LaRusso has managed some of the biggest steroid abusers in MLB history. Knight’s fondness for Coach K has literally nothing to do with whether or not Coach K cheats. 

27 minutes ago, Sark said:

Those “rumors” were around well before Knight began to slip away, yet Knight never soured on Coach K at all.

And?

You act as if Coach Knight associating with Coach K is some kind of scarlet letter...as if when it's Coach Knight's turn to go, St Peter will say, "Well, well...associated with Mike Krzyzewski...tsk, tsk...you may want to dress cooler."

Others have pointed out that you really don't have a point here, so I won't...

22 minutes ago, Sark said:

Just thought it was strange that Knight would be so close to an alleged cheater even though there’s zero proof he’s cheated. Maybe that’s why he’s always been so close to him. Hmm.

Ah, I see now...you're actually defending Coach K by saying that RMK wouldn't associate with a cheater. Or he associates with him because none of the allegations have ever been proven.

I'm not sure you have a point there either...

12 minutes ago, Sark said:

You have it backward. I’m wondering why Knight would associate with a known cheater. Just surprised no one can provide an answer. I have a point but it obviously doesn’t fit the agenda some people have, which I know angers them.

I still associate with my friend that went to prison. I don't say it was a "mistake" because he was a grown man, he broke the law, he knew the consequences, he got caught, and he paid the price. Greed, whether it be for money, notoriety, or pride is a powerful motivator. He knows how I feel because I've told him.

If It's ever proven that Coach K knew what was going on (and Knight's own words on John Wooden provides his insight on that...look it up), I'm quite sure Coach Knight would still be there for him...just like I'm still there for my friend...

There are some sins that on a personal relationships level are unforgivable in my mind..."cheating" while recruiting high school kids (or selling marijuana for that matter) isn't one of them... 

Mods you say just put posters on ignore if you don't like how people post.  I did just that but we can still see others who are arguing with that poster.  So please do something about Sark because he is ruining this board like he has since he has been here.  I guess if everyone would just put him on ignore we would not have this constant bickering with him.  It is obvious he had something for coach K or Cal because he is always on here defending the scums of coaching.  It is obvious he is a troll and not an IU fan so van him already.

5 hours ago, Sark said:

Well, when I was a student in the mid-70’s, I knew of at least one player who drove around campus in a Corvette, which I don’t think he could afford. 

Was RMK aware? I don’t know. Did he not have control over everything going on in his program? Maybe. Might he not have been as squeaky clean as portrayed? 

Hmmm...

Archived