Nicest athlete you ever met in person ?

For me. Calbert Cheaney... when he played for the Denver Nuggets.  Had a great conversation about IU. I'm sure he does not remember.  But... I sure do.

What about you..... Hoosier Sports Nation ? Does not have to be an IU athlete.  Mark Grace was great as well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not met many but did talk to Kent Benson at Market Square Arena back in the 80's.  Since I grew up not to far from New Castle me and my older brother started a conversation about playing in the same sectional.  He was very nice and talked to us for awhile.  I also saw him in a Pizza Hut in New Castle when I was like 7 years old.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

For me. Calbert Cheaney... when he played for the Denver Nuggets.  Had a great conversation about IU. I'm sure he does not remember.  But... I sure do.

What about you..... Hoosier Sports Nation ? Does not have to be an IU athlete.  Mark Grace was great as well.

Been lucky in some areas of my life to meet some guys. In no specific order.

1) Coach Knight

2) Payne Stewart

3) Calbert...lived in Villas next to us

4) Jim Harbaugh

5) Greg Olsen

6) Mike Davis

7) Tom Crean

These are just a few. I would also say Eric Gordon, Michael Lewis, Sherron Wilkerson, Greg Oden.....great subject. Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne...few others.  

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have not met many but did talk to Kent Benson at Market Square Arena back in the 80's.  Since I grew up not to far from New Castle me and my older brother started a conversation about playing in the same sectional.  He was very nice and talked to us for awhile.  I also saw him in a Pizza Hut in New Castle when I was like 7 years old.

Loved when Kent showed up for IU games.  Stood against the wall. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It was at the old Christmas tournament in Indy when I talked to him.

And he probably does not remember the conversation with you. But like my conversation with Cheaney.... I remember it to this day.  Thanks for your contribution.  And.... please stay safe.

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

2) Payne Stewart

I was working a tanker mission down in the Gulf of Mexico when Jacksonville Center called us (Eglin AFB RAPCON) to see if we had anyone airborne that could fly an intercept mission. An F-16 had just come off from refueling on the tanker (KC-135). We turned the F-16 north and handed him off to Jax Center...

He intercepted Stewart's ill-fated plane...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I was working a tanker mission down in the Gulf of Mexico when Jacksonville Center called us (Eglin AFB RAPCON) to see if we had anyone airborne that could fly an intercept mission. An F-16 had just come off from refueling on the tanker (KC-135). We turned the F-16 north and handed him off to Jax Center...

He intercepted Stewart's ill-fated plane...

Darn. There are a few moments and Payne's death hit me hard. Growing up in Illinois....Payne was one of the first who came to Quad Cities Classic/Hardees Classic/John Deere....he met about a dozen of us who played golf and couldn't have been more gracious. He's the reason I wore red/white/blue golf shoes in high school because of his style.  

Payne, Walter, Dale....when they died those were the hard one's.

Regarding Payne's flight. IIRC they were already gone and it was on autopilot right? I don't know how that world works. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Darn. There are a few moments and Payne's death hit me hard. Growing up in Illinois....Payne was one of the first who came to Quad Cities Classic/Hardees Classic/John Deere....he met about a dozen of us who played golf and couldn't have been more gracious. He's the reason I wore red/white/blue golf shoes in high school because of his style.  

Payne, Walter, Dale....when they died those were the hard one's.

Regarding Payne's flight. IIRC they were already gone and it was on autopilot right? I don't know how that world works. 

Yep, it was on auto pilot, until they ran out of fuel.

I remember Payne for wearing that NFL golf attire. Always thought that was ultra-cool. I think he was wearing the Bears version when he won a major.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yep, it was on auto pilot, until they ran out of fuel.

I remember Payne for wearing that NFL golf attire. Always thought that was ultra-cool. I think he was wearing the Bears version when he won a major.

I think it was the 14th hole at Oakwood (where tourney was held) he came up in Packers stuff because of his NFL contract. He flew the green and was joking with us saying I know you Bears fans let my ball fly over the green because of what I wore today. If I had Bears stuff on you guys would be stopping the ball and throwing it on the green. Loved Payne.

I feel like I’m cheating a bit by participating in this thread, but here goes in no particular order...

JoJo White

Walter McCarty

Brian Scalabrine

Kendrick Perkins

Ricky Davis

Tony Allen

Gerald Green

Ryan Gomes

Dan Dickau

Eric Williams

David Ortiz

Calbert Chaney

Tommy Heinsohn

Those are the ones off the top of my head that stick out as being really nice and personable. 

Some of the best:

Ryne Sandberg (several times...although he is quiet)

Starlin Castro (his uncle bought me a beer at a AA game before he got called up and sat with us)

Reggie Miller

Pierre Garcon

Peyton Manning

Otis Wilson

Penny Hardaway (Orlando days)

Brooks Robinson

Steve Stone

...and I'm sure I'm leaving a few off

Worst:

Shaq (Orlando days)

Giancarlo Stanton

Aroldis Chapman

Toni Kukoc

The only athlete I've had anything approaching a conversation with was Joey Eloms. He was in one of my business classes. Super nice guy, even with me giving him some crap about how my high school beat his team in the sectional championship game. 💪😎

I also had brief interactions with Chris Gall and Andrae Patterson. Both very positive. Oh, and saying hi to Coach Knight one day as I walking out of Assembly Hall. He was entering the building in what appeared to be his outdoors-man gear. :)

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I feel like I’m cheating a bit by participating in this thread, but here goes in no particular order...

JoJo White

Walter McCarty

Brian Scalabrine

Kendrick Perkins

Ricky Davis

Tony Allen

Gerald Green

Ryan Gomes

Dan Dickau

Eric Williams

David Ortiz

Calbert Chaney

Tommy Heinsohn

Those are the ones off the top of my head that stick out as being really nice and personable. 

Not cheating at all.  Had to be great to be a part of the Boston Celtics, as you did. I am sure there tons of others.  However, I love your mention of Chaney.

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Some of the best:

Ryne Sandberg (several times...although he is quiet)

Starlin Castro (his uncle bought me a beer at a AA game before he got called up and sat with us)

Reggie Miller

Pierre Garcon

Peyton Manning

Otis Wilson

Penny Hardaway (Orlando days)

Brooks Robinson

Steve Stone

...and I'm sure I'm leaving a few off

Worst:

Shaq (Orlando days)

Giancarlo Stanton

Aroldis Chapman

Toni Kukoc

My son has a Cubs cap, signed by Ryne Sandberg.  You are right.  Sandberg did not say much as he signed the cap.

The Sandberg Game | The Signature Game of Hall-of-Famer Ryne Sandberg's Career 

Archived