Nicest athlete you ever met in person ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Those that really stood out to me

Dwayne De Rosario - 

When he was a star with the Houston Dynamo, his youngest played on my middle child’s soccer team, and he coached the team on and off (with my oldest who was then playing for the Houston Dynamo Academy) and hung out with us — and we went to his son’s birthday party at his house — couldn’t have been more of a “normal” down to Earth guy, and he was the MLS POY, a real star at the time.

Vic 

He participated in one of Crean’s camps as a player - coach. My middle child got to go one on one with him in front of the whole camp - Vic jumped over him and dunked on him. Smiling the whole way. Of course he hung around and gave everyone autographs, signed my son’s basketball - my son said he wanted to give it to his grandmother and Vic loved that, just as enthusiastic, outgoing and friendly in person as the guy you see on tv.

Eric Gordon —

Met him at a Rockets game, was in the front row behind the team bench, he looked at me and I pointed to the IU logo on my shirt - he laughed. Talked to him later, very unassuming, he’s a “chill” guy

Patrick Ewing 

Was at a DC-area mall with my wife, mid 90’s. We’re walking through the men’s section of a shoe store and this guy is sitting down with his legs extended and his legs went all the way across the aisle - we were like what the heck is the guy 10 feet tall? Then I recognized him as Ewing. I’m not big on just walking up to stars, don’t like invading their space, but I said hello and that I loved his game even though I’m a Pacers fan - he laughed and we joked for a bit, another laid back nice guy.

The flip side - second hand

Reggie Miller — I’ve never met him, and he’s hands down my favorite player ever (even over PG!). Friend of mine bumped into him at a bar, tried to strike up a conversation with him. Said Regg just looked at him like he was an idiot and walked away. Lol. But then if you’re a star and people just have to just walk up to and try to talk to you that must get really annoying, hats off to those who put up with it.

It's funny how everyone has different experiences...I met Reggie a couple times and he was nice and personable...even gave me an autograph. I have heard he can be stand offish though by others. .However, both of my interactions with him were "at the office" so to speak...once pregame and once on his way out of the arena post game...he might just be more open to being approached while ""at work".

I am shocked to read you had a good experience with Patrick Ewing, as I have always heard he didn't like being approached...maybe you caught him on a good day.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The conversation:

”Hey Pete. So, do you like to gamble?” 

Well, the first time I was 10 and he crushed my thought that professional athletes were heros who appreciated fan worship, especially from kids...

The second time I went with the impression that he was an a-hole and leopards never change their spots...

Which was confirmed...

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Dan Dakich

I'm kidding............

As a kid, I got Pete Rose's autograph.  Got my picture taken with Dave Concepcion.  Later in life, met Joe Morgan and got picture with him. 

Had a brief, but nice conversation with Ken Griffey Sr's wife at a hotel after my young son wandered up to her and asked if she worked there.  Ken was at the hotel as well, but I did not get a chance to talk to him.

Met several athletes at a couple of charity golf functions at Fuzzy Zoeller's course in Sellersburg.  Fuzzy, of course was there. Actually bumped into Fuzzy once at the grocery store as well.   A whole bunch of senior tour guys were at the events.  John Daly was at one.  He was an absolute mess.  Alford was there for one and was a prick.  Kelvin Sampson was arrogant. 

I don't know that any of them stood out to me as guys I would go out of my way to say 'What a nice guy'.   

I know you are kidding about Dakich, but I got to meet him once when I was a kid.  He was extremely nice to me as a kid.  I remember him being really funny.  It made such an impression on me that I almost included him when I typed out my list but I figured most people would just think I was being sarcastic.  

In chronological order:

1. Dick Butkus (came into a florist where I worked in high school) nicer than his reputation
  2. Fran Tarkington (wrote a book and did an autograph signing in my book dept in MN. Complimented me on the organization and setup of the autograph session)
  3. Johnny Mennard (Indy car driver in the 90's) came into I store I owned and had a nice chat.

Not a topic of this thread, but I've met several "famous people" (mainly hollywood types) and they were all arrogant a$$holes.

6 minutes ago, DWB said:

In chronological order:

1. Dick Butkus (came into a florist where I worked in high school) nicer than his reputation
  2. Fran Tarkington (wrote a book and did an autograph signing in my book dept in MN. Complimented me on the organization and setup of the autograph session)
  3. Johnny Mennard (Indy car driver in the 90's) came into I store I owned and had a nice chat.

Not a topic of this thread, but I've met several "famous people" (mainly hollywood types) and they were all arrogant a$$holes.

I was at a wedding once, the marriage of Beech Aircraft and Cessna children, they brought in some celebs, including Don Johnson, dressed like he was off the set of Miami Vice. He tried to kiss my wife. I almost decked him, right there in the middle of the wedding. He went back-peddling away like the little snot he is — btw, he’s a real little guy, end of the day it was comical 

29 minutes ago, DWB said:

In chronological order:

I have no problem swaying away from the topic.  Thanks for your contribution.  In terms of Dick Butkus.  Never met the man. Did watch many of his games.  On the field... he was one tough SOB.  And my understanding that off the field... Butkus was a gentle giant.  Just as you reported.

DICK BUTKUS: Hardest Hits

Back in the early 80's I won a golf excursion to the Grand Traverse Resort in Traverse City, Michigan. That weekend they were having a tennis fundraiser and the featured stars were Wayne Rogers and Charleton Heston. There were a couple of pro tennis players there but I can't remember who they are. Mr' Rogers and Mr. Heston were two of the nicest guys you could ever meet. They were very approachable and spent several minutes talking to my wife and I. We got plenty of pictures and both of their autographs. A great way to top off an outstanding golfing weekend. 

Biggest jerks, Mario and Michael Andretti. 

My dad worked for Mauck supply in Jasper for a few years in the 90's. So I have met Matt Mauck who quarterbacked LSU to the 2003 championship on numerous occasions.  Think he is a dentist in Denver now. 

Also player against Jay Cutler and Curtis Painter in high school. 

Unrelated but fun to play around with. At one time LSU had a quarterback that I share a first and last name with and we are the same age. 

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My dad worked for Mauck supply in Jasper for a few years in the 90's. So I have met Matt Mauck who quarterbacked LSU to the 2003 championship on numerous occasions.  Think he is a dentist in Denver now. 

Also player against Jay Cutler and Curtis Painter in high school. 

Unrelated but fun to play around with. At one time LSU had a quarterback that I share a first and last name with and we are the same age. 

Meet Aurora Dentist Dr. Matt Mauck | D'Amico & Mauck, DDS

That's Aurora, Colorado.  Just East of Denver.

Actually played for the Denver Broncos at one time.

And Jay Cutler.... came out of nowhere to replace Jake Plummer as a starter at QB for the Denver Broncos.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived