the Palace is no more!

13 hours ago, Coach1K said:

I can remember watching the Artest game on TV that was insane.

Yeah I was watching it live. The Pacers were destroying the Pistons and very much looked like the championship-contending team that they were that year -- until Artest's stupidity. I was sitting there going what, wait, he's running up into the stands? He's hitting a fan? The stupid Detroit fans are rushing the court and picking fights with the players? What the? It was crazy, and killed what very well could've been a championship run.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah I was watching it live. The Pacers were destroying the Pistons and very much looked like the championship-contending team that they were that year -- until Artest's stupidity. I was sitting there going what, wait, he's running up into the stands? He's hitting a fan? The stupid Detroit fans are rushing the court and picking fights with the players? What the? It was crazy, and killed what very well could've been a championship run.

I’ll never forget that night. We (Celtics) had a home game and the team was leaving for a road trip right after the game that included Indiana. I had just closed the locker room to the media and came back in when the highlights of what had just happened came on the TV. Everyone was stunned of course, and then Paul Pierce starting dancing and sort of celebrating because he wouldn’t have to have Artest defend him when they got to Indiana. 

Remeber at that time the Celtics and Pacers had played in the playoffs a few times and Pierce and Artest always had good battles. To be clear, Pierce’s little celebration was completely in a funny way, not actually mocking that people got hurt or anything. 

We had tickets to the Orlando game a few days later...only like 6 active players for that game...so sad for my dad. Fred Jones went off but it wasn’t enough. Yes that was a title contending team. What made them that was the toughness....the edge...talent...but also what caused it also to go up in smoke. Looking back Artest and S Jackson on the same team....wow that was a powered keg lol.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

I just remember all of my friends talking about it at school next day. I had the same reaction like what is he doing the fan must have said something that made him snap.

Somewhat off topic.

Spent a few days up in Northern Michigan this week on vacation.

While in  various stores and souvenir shops, saw a lot of Tigers stuff, some Lions merchandise, and a good amount of Red Wings.  And, of course a large amount of UM and MSU.

I saw zero, zip, nada, nothing Pistons related.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Somewhat off topic.

Spent a few days up in Northern Michigan this week on vacation.

While in  various stores and souvenir shops, saw a lot of Tigers stuff, some Lions merchandise, and a good amount of Red Wings.  And, of course a large amount of UM and MSU.

I saw zero, zip, nada, nothing Pistons related.

I’ve had pistons fans tell me that their entire fan base is fair weather.  And All other sports come first all things being equal. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’ve had pistons fans tell me that their entire fan base is fair weather.  And All other sports come first all things being equal. 

I’m guessing a lot of that has to do with where The Palace was located. It was pretty far outside the city. I’ve been to a couple games there and I’ve never seen Detroit. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’m guessing a lot of that has to do with where The Palace was located. It was pretty far outside the city. I’ve been to a couple games there and I’ve never seen Detroit. 

True but also feel like if the fans were true diehards you would never put the arena that far away in the first place. 

27 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

True but also feel like if the fans were true diehards you would never put the arena that far away in the first place. 

I don’t know, there are a ton of factors that go into where an arena is ultimately built. 

On 7/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

I remember watching the game live and posting in a game thread on the old Indy Star forums. It was such a great game until that moment happened then it was like...........yeah, what the heck just happened and I think we all knew the outcome was not going to be good.

At the time, I had no doubt that Pacers team was primed for a championship run (at least, prior to the malice within the palace). In hindsight, I do wonder if Ron was just bound to lose his mind somewhere else along the line if that night did not unfold the way it did.

Archived