Bad HoF selections

rico

3 hours ago, rico said:

Just as I suspected...they guy that wrote that, Graham Womack (wonder if he's any relation to Dooley?) was born in 1983. If he'd have been alive for that A's mini-dynasty he'd know why Fingers and Hunter are in the HOF. 

Hunter won over 20 games 5 times on a row, had 5 WS rings with 2 different teams, and pitched a perfect game...Christ, what else did the guy have to do?

Fingers and Bruce Sutter (the Sandberg game not withstanding 😁) were the dominant closers of their respective eras back when closing was getting more than 3 outs...

Nuff said...

17 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just as I suspected...they guy that wrote that, Graham Womack (wonder if he's any relation to Dooley?) was born in 1983. If he'd have been alive for that A's mini-dynasty he'd know why Fingers and Hunter are in the HOF. 

Hunter won over 20 games 5 times on a row, had 5 WS rings with 2 different teams, and pitched a perfect game...Christ, what else did the guy have to do?

Fingers and Bruce Sutter (the Sandberg game not withstanding 😁) were the dominant closers of their respective eras back when closing was getting more than 3 outs...

Nuff said...

These "younger" guys don't understand how the game was played back then.  I always marvel at the Dodgers' Mike Marshall season of '74.  He was a reliever and led the NL with 21 saves.  Pretty paltry number by today's standards.  But the dude saw action in 106 games, finished 83 of them, and freakin' pitched 208 innings.  

10 minutes ago, rico said:

These "younger" guys don't understand how the game was played back then.  I always marvel at the Dodgers' Mike Marshall season of '74.  He was a reliever and led the NL with 21 saves.  Pretty paltry number by today's standards.  But the dude saw action in 106 games, finished 83 of them, and freakin' pitched 208 innings.  

I remember a story in one of umpire Ron Luchiano's books about Hunter's control. Said he'd start the game throwing it on the outside corner, right on the black. When he had the ump calling those strikes, he'd little by little start moving more off the plate. Said he'd sometimes have you calling strikes a foot outside, but the minute you called one a ball, he went right back to the black...

4 hours ago, rico said:

Closers back then would come in the game in the 7th inning a lot of times.  The other day watching the Cubs/Cardinals game from 84 Bruce Sutter came in with 1 out in the 7th and pitched through the 9th.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I remember a story in one of umpire Ron Luchiano's books about Hunter's control. Said he'd start the game throwing it on the outside corner, right on the black. When he had the ump calling those strikes, he'd little by little start moving more off the plate. Said he'd sometimes have you calling strikes a foot outside, but the minute you called one a ball, he went right back to the black...

Sounds like what Gregg Maddux use to do

Hunter and Fingers were as no brainer as it gets.  That author needs some humility to study the game before his time.  I’m aware of stuff before my time and he should too if he dares to write that article.  By the same token, there are plenty of dufeses that can roll out there and get 30 saves and it doesn’t mean much today.  It’s all handled completely differently.  Context matters.  

Over the years, there have been some hall of famers in baseball and football that have gotten on my nerves.  I never would have considered Harold Baines.  Nice player.  He could be in the hall of very good.  But to put him in the Hall with the absolute legends in there?  Not to me.  There are other examples.  

I don’t recall any face palms for basketball.  Most seem worthy. 

Archived