Former player unhappy with Calapari

Wait, just once minute ! UK  pays Cal  only $ 400K... one of the highest paid BBHC.... if not the highest paid.  And he' not giving up part of his salary, as coaches across the country are either voluntarily or not, having their salary reduced. One would think Cal could give up $400K.... and not even notice it.

Thanks for the link, Scott. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/not-a-great-week-for-kentucky-s-john-calipari/ar-BB16VQnI?ocid=msedgdhp

Seem a few players are starting to see through what Calapari is selling.  Weynan Gabriel even went on social media to tell a recruit not to go to UK.

No one can doubt the number of players Cal has gotten an NBA contract. But it's those fringe guys who get lost in the shuffle and we won't ever hear from again. Cal didn't develop AD or John Wall....those guys were getting contracts either way but which 3 star has Cal ever sent and excelled in the league? None would be my guess.

My fear is we have another one down there right now who given this season and uncertainty around it might just be another guy we never hear from again......because right now all the NBA has on him is 10 minutes per game, 8th guy in rotation....and 2 points and 1 board per game averages.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No one can doubt the number of players Cal has gotten an NBA contract. But it's those fringe guys who get lost in the shuffle and we won't ever hear from again. Cal didn't develop AD or John Wall....those guys were getting contracts either way but which 3 star has Cal ever sent and excelled in the league? None would be my guess.

My fear is we have another one down there right now who given this season and uncertainty around it might just be another guy we never hear from again......because right now all the NBA has on him is 10 minutes per game, 8th guy in rotation....and 2 points and 1 board per game averages.

Man what I wouldn’t give now that Smith is gone to have Keion play for us. He is a good player and plays very hard...he just isn’t being utilized at UK.

Gabriel went from top 15 McDonald's All American to undrafted.  Lots of coaches can prepare kids for the NBA as good or better than PayPal Cal.  

You hear that, blue chip recruits?  Don't expect Cal to do anything magical to develop you for the NBA.  He's just another slick used car salesman with access to cash.

If UK ball and IU ball were stocks, I’d be a buyer of IU and a seller of UK.  IU is doing it the hard way, trying to build a strong foundation.  Once it’s laid—and I’d argue it’s on its way—the yearly additions will go much smoother.   You may have to still squint your eyes to see it, but this could be a competitive program at a high level year in year out.  Watch out if the ‘21 and ‘22 classes go as well as we hope, and Archie is optimistic.  

UK is running an incoherent program with spastic changes constantly.  No continuity builds up and it’s difficult to win big that way as they are finding out.  You never know when their shenanigans with agents will be exposed.  Ditto for a Nike investigation.  It would be malpractice for the NCAA to not be deep undercover on that now.  Adidas was competing with Nike when all that came out.  They weren’t spending money freely without the need to.  Nike undoubtedly was in a bidding war with them.   Their only chance right now is to get overwhelming talent and that’s not happening any time soon.  Plus guys like Tony Davis with his dad’s hand out aren’t growing on trees.   

The Emory envelope culture is a greater tradition in Kentucky than horse racing or bluegrass.  

On 7/19/2020 at 3:10 PM, milehiiu said:

Wait, just once minute ! UK  pays Cal  only $ 400K... one of the highest paid BBHC.... if not the highest paid.  And he' not giving up part of his salary, as coaches across the country are either voluntarily or not, having their salary reduced. One would think Cal could give up $400K.... and not even notice it.

Thanks for the link, Scott. 

400k is a drop in the bucket for Cal. How common is it for a marketing firm to be hired by a University and also be responsible for paying the coach? Sure it sounds smart for the University because they don't have to put up the big bucks. But something doesn't sound kosher about it either. It's almost like they can do some under the table things the University can claim deniability. Just like with the shoe companies now .

I can’t stand Scumapari, and think that even I could have “developed” players like Wall and Davis into NBA prospects, but I don’t read a lot into this guy complaining about Cal. Every year there are McDonalds All Americans that don’t make it to the lotto, or meet expectations, and I would guess that 90+% of them largely blame their coach.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:52 PM, Brass Cannon said:

Well if this season gets Cancelled maybe we can get Brooks to transfer. Gotta think not wanting to sit a year is what kept him there. 

No thanks. Brooks in my opinion is vastly overrated. We need shooters. 

I hope he stays down there where your cousin is also your sister.

8 minutes ago, Dart said:

Should be renamed to "Every score Keion Brooks Jr made in 2019-2020" but all jokes aside he is pretty good and could have his breakout year

IMHO. Brooks has got game.  And Dart.  Thanks for becoming a Hoosier Sports Nation member.  Looking for great things from you going forward.

I may be in the minority on Brooks but I always liked him as a player.  He plays with aggression.  However, I do question his basketball IQ and self awareness for him to think he was a better fit at UK over IU.  He would have been featured at IU and able to get comfortable and show his ability, including motor and physicality.  At UK he’s a number and will always be competing with the latest new flavor.  It’s tough to get comfortable and featured that way.  

Archived