Article about NIL

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

College athletes are supposed to be students first athletes later. They get perks and stipends others don't. If they dont like it they don't have to play.

Totally agree and I think they are compensated more than fairly right now 

There are so many facets to student athletes, their brand, the university and the world in general.  We can't stand still and use the same measuring stick we did 30 years ago.  Its a different world, different priorities and different amount of money being made by a lot of people.  There is so much money being made by the NCAA, Universities, sponsors, etc.  The athlete has a right to be in the conversation since they are a reason for all of it.

Just my opinion

20 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

There are so many facets to student athletes, their brand, the university and the world in general.  We can't stand still and use the same measuring stick we did 30 years ago.  Its a different world, different priorities and different amount of money being made by a lot of people.  There is so much money being made by the NCAA, Universities, sponsors, etc.  The athlete has a right to be in the conversation since they are a reason for all of it.

Just my opinion

Agree. I’ve said this before, but the internet, ecommerce and social media have changed everything. If this came about 30 years ago an athlete would have needed a business (say car dealership) to sign them to a sponsorship deal and then the athlete would have to deliver some type of service (autograph signing, commercial shoot, etc.). 

Now an athlete can slap up a YouTube Channel, build an IG following, etc., and earn revenue built around the content they choose to produce. It’s more like building their own business around the brand leverage they can create, as opposed to shilling products for a local company who’s owner is a huge fan. . 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:11 AM, BGleas said:

Agree. I’ve said this before, but the internet, ecommerce and social media have changed everything. If this came about 30 years ago an athlete would have needed a business (say car dealership) to sign them to a sponsorship deal and then the athlete would have to deliver some type of service (autograph signing, commercial shoot, etc.). 

Now an athlete can slap up a YouTube Channel, build an IG following, etc., and earn revenue built around the content they choose to produce. It’s more like building their own business around the brand leverage they can create, as opposed to shilling products for a local company who’s owner is a huge fan. . 

Agree with all you say and you didn't even mention paying players.  The proof is in what is happening today.  The new is reporting daily on how much money would be lost by the Power Conferences is they don't play football.  So much so, they are doing everything they possible can to have a season.  Billions of dollars are at stake every year in college sports.  To me, players or an organization for them, should have a voice in how that money is distributed.  And it doesn't even have to be about paying players as you mentioned in your comment.  It could be a simple as allowing them to sell their brand, make money off their name, or be paid to play somewhere.  Everyone seems to have a finger in the pie except the players who everyone is making the money off of.  Room, board and an education isn't the same slice of the pie it was 30 or 40 years ago.

Archived