2020-21 Season -- Allocating the Minutes

7 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I always like to take a shot at this once the roster is set.  The overarching thing that I expect to happen is for Indiana to go smaller.  What do you guys think?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-2020-21-lets-play-allocating-the-minutes/

I know it is not important but have they put out a roster with players numbers

Isn't it great (for once) to debate how to allocate minutes to 10-11 players that have proven they play "team ball" vs Me ball?

So many scenarios to consider. ie: If Race can improve his offense, I could see him taking Joey's minutes completely. Race is faster, just as tough, and has a real nose for where the ball will be.

Between all of the guards, I think Al is at risk of losing a bunch of minutes, if Jerome continues to progress like he did at the end of the season. Add in Rob, Armaan (the wild card IMO), Kristian, Jordan, and Anthony you could have a VERY tough bunch. "Hurryin' Hoosiers" could definitely make a comeback in style of play. My only concern is...can TJD play that many minutes at full throttle? I doubt it. If Race could really step up his offensive game, he could be TJD's scoring backup.

I can also make an argument for a 4 guard line up, when TJD is taking a blow.  After watching Leal and Galloway hit about 50 NBA three's a piece in a video, and if that can translate to game situations (jury is out), why the hell not play 4 guards? Talk about opening up some driving lanes for Rob & Kristian...

Just an Old Fart's 2¢

On 7/24/2020 at 7:44 PM, The Daily Hoosier said:

I always like to take a shot at this once the roster is set.  The overarching thing that I expect to happen is for Indiana to go smaller.  What do you guys think?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-2020-21-lets-play-allocating-the-minutes/

The 2 players I am most intrigued about are Hunter and Geronimo. Both remain wild cards.

I have high hopes and expectations for Hunter. Geronimo, as an athletic defense-first guy who is developing his outside scoring is a legit frosh wild card. 

I think Aarman gets more minutes, the kid is solid and, now, experienced.

6 minutes ago, Sark said:

Assuming it’s a long season, you manage minutes to keep guys fresh. Over 30 is short term gain for long term pain.

Better clue Tony Bennett and Jay Wright into that...

Virginia had 3 over 30 and 3 more over 20 mpg in their championship year

Villanova had 2 over 30 and 4 more over 27 in their last championship year

I'd personally like to see Archie shorten the bench and have 2-3 over 30...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Better clue Tony Bennett and Jay Wright into that...

Virginia had 3 over 30 and 3 more over 20 mpg in their championship year

Villanova had 2 over 30 and 4 more over 27 in their last championship year

I'd personally like to see Archie shorten the bench and have 2-3 over 30...

I guarantee you that under RMK most of the starters played well over 30mpg.

Some people including me think players should be able to play bigger minutes today but they seem to try limit minutes.  To me how the game is played today that players should play bigger minutes than they use to but it seems like they want to play to many players today.  I looked back at our last 3 championship teams and see how many minutes the starters played.  Actually 19766 surprised me when I saw Buckner played the least minutes of the starters.  Also with that team and how many blowouts they had that probably influenced mpg.

May-33

Abernathy-32

Benson-34

Wilkinson-28

Buckner-24

Thomas-35

Wittman-34

Kitchell-22  Came off the bench for 7 games

Turner-21  His would be more but was benched in the middle of the season

Tolbert-34

Alford-37

Smart-26

Calloway-30

Thomas-30

Garrett-28

I kept going through the season and got to 78-79 and there were 4 guys over 30 mpg

Woodson-36

Tolbert-33

Carter-33

Wittman-37

My question is why can't players play this kind of minutes today.  Supposedly kids are in way better shape in in way better physical condition yet they have a hard time playing 25+ minutes.  On offense where a lot of teams have 3 guys standing in the corner and on the wing with the other two doing a pick and roll it is easier defensively.  You are not moving as much and going off screen after screen.  Offensive players you are standing around more and not moving and coming off screens.  To me the pace of play is way slower today where people play more half court basketball and run the 30 second clock down on a lot of possessions.

10 minutes ago, Sark said:

Archie has never coached that way, though, and he’s not at a level of those guys. He’s not lengthening minutes. I watched Crean burn out several good teams by not spreading minutes out more. Why repeat those fiascos?

His last two Dayton teams had 2 guys over 30 in 2017, and 3 over 30 in 16...

Life lesson #1

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging...

4 minutes ago, Sark said:

No doubt. Miller wants to keep guys fresh for a long season, and it makes tons of sense. If minutes start creeping up for some guys it will be because he has no other choice. But he’ll pay a price in a league as competitive as the Big 10, which is why I think he spreads it out the way he does.

disagree.  There is no reason kids can't play 27-30 minutes a game as the starters

1 hour ago, Sark said:

No reason you can’t play all five starters 40 minutes. You’ll pay a price for it, but it can be done. Managing minutes is about keeping guys fresh over the course of a long season, and that’s how Miller wants to do it. Crean sucked at it, but his issue went beyond game minutes. Knight was good, even as he rode the best guys hard. But he limited practices a great deal as the season progressed. 

There is a huge difference in zero rest and getting 25% of the game off.

Now i know why other don't want to engage with you in discussion.  Even when someone provided facts about 2 of the most recent teams having kids playing close to or over 30 minutes a game, you still stick to your point regardless.

With that said, you win.  I am tired of running into this wall.  Please respond, get your last word/post and move on

Archived