2020-21 Season -- Allocating the Minutes

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

disagree.  There is no reason kids can't play 27-30 minutes a game as the starters

I agree because it seems today is even slower pace of play than it was in the 80's and 90's.  Just watch some older games and the pace was faster because teams would get into there offense and take the first good shot.  Today it seems like most possessions go deep into the shot clock and have to take bad shots at the end of the clock.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

There is a huge difference in zero rest and getting 25% of the game off.

Now i know why other don't want to engage with you in discussion.  Even when someone provided facts about 2 of the most recent teams having kids playing close to or over 30 minutes a game, you still stick to your point regardless.

With that said, you win.  I am tired of running into this wall.  Please respond, get your last word/post and move on

Just put him on ignore

3 hours ago, Sark said:

And there are plenty of coaches that go less

And none of them have won an NCAA Championship since 1996...

That's right...the last team to win the crown without at least one player (and most had 2 or 3) averaging over 30 minutes per game was Kentucky in 1996...coached by some Italian dude...

every time i enter the the subbing conversation i have the same stance...18-22 year old college athletes should be able to play a lot of minutes with short breaks.  there is a difference in talent level between your top 7 and 8-13 most of the time.  play to win.  don't sub guys just to sub.  if you do, don't sit them long.  play the best guys big minutes.  get the other guys experience when the game is already decided.  

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

every time i enter the the subbing conversation i have the same stance...18-22 year old college athletes should be able to play a lot of minutes with short breaks.  there is a difference in talent level between your top 7 and 8-13 most of the time.  play to win.  don't sub guys just to sub.  if you do, don't sit them long.  play the best guys big minutes.  get the other guys experience when the game is already decided.  

That was my main complaint with Crean because he would just sub to be subbing.  Like I said in another thread I remember watching a couple of games from the 12-13 season.  In two of them once he started subbing after about 4 minutes he never had all 5 starters in the game at the same time in that half.  He also did that in the second half as well so the starters played a total of around 9 minutes together the whole game.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

27-30 minutes shouldn't be a problem for kids.  That is 5-8 minutes per half they are not playing.  And its not like we play a super hyper Coach Crean style offense where we're running and gunning the whole game.  We're a fairly slow offensive paced team in my opinion.  We run the clock down a lot before we take out shot.  Keep your starters on the court.  Let them get a feel for the game and get into a rhythm.  To many time did i see a player hit a couple big shots, get immediately yanked out of the game to sit the bench for extended periods of time.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

27-30 minutes shouldn't be a problem for kids.  That is 5-8 minutes per half they are not playing.  And its not like we play a super hyper Coach Crean style offense where we're running and gunning the whole game.  We're a fairly slow offensive paced team in my opinion.  We run the clock down a lot before we take out shot.  Keep your starters on the court.  Let them get a feel for the game and get into a rhythm.  To many time did i see a player hit a couple big shots, get immediately yanked out of the game to sit the bench for extended periods of time.

Also you have a TV timeout every 4 minutes so it shouldn't be hard to play 15-16 minutes per half.  I think it was the 92 game against UCLA in the elite 8 where after 12 minutes we still had the starters in.  Henderson was playing great especially rebounding and blocking shots and looked exhausted but RMK did not take him out right away.

Archived