Scholarships

So I talked to an NCAA coaching friend of mine today and I asked him what happens if players get an extra year of eligibility because of covid. He said if the season is half the season players get no eligibility back but if players play less than half the season then they get their eligibility... it is up to the SCHOOL on whether they will pick the incoming recruits or the “super senior”. What I found was interesting was he specifically said Wisconsin will pick the new recruits over the “super seniors” I think a school will base it off of leadership and skill level... let’s just hope at least a half a season is played so we don’t have to worry about it.

4 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

So I talked to an NCAA coaching friend of mine today and I asked him what happens if players get an extra year of eligibility because of covid. He said if the season is half the season players get no eligibility back but if players play less than half the season then they get their eligibility... it is up to the SCHOOL on whether they will pick the incoming recruits or the “super senior”. What I found was interesting was he specifically said Wisconsin will pick the new recruits over the “super seniors” I think a school will base it off of leadership and skill level... let’s just hope at least a half a season is played so we don’t have to worry about it.

That’s pretty crappy if no season gets played.  Seniors will get no senior season or recruits have to change plans.  

Doubt that holds, Coaches will get some strings pulled.  

A lot of smart seniors would use that to get a graduate degree. I think most schools would honor the scholarships of incoming recruits. The point of a scholarship is not necessarily to let them play for 4 years but to pay for 4 years of school. The school would have honored their commitment even if the kid has eligibility. It would be more damaging to a program to lose 4 years of a kid then 1. Not to mention could send a bad message to other recruits you might not honor their commitment.

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

A lot of smart seniors would use that to get a graduate degree. I think most schools would honor the scholarships of incoming recruits. The point of a scholarship is not necessarily to let them play for 4 years but to pay for 4 years of school. The school would have honored their commitment even if the kid has eligibility. It would be more damaging to a program to lose 4 years of a kid then 1. Not to mention could send a bad message to other recruits you might not honor their commitment.

I agree. Granted my son was not division 1 but his school did offer  to give him another year of eligibility. He did not take it but stayed there to start grad school.  Coach said if he changes his mind there is a spot.  I know it's a big difference when you are talking scholarship but the premise is the same 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think this is an absolute spot on assessment 

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

I believe everyone does

That really hurts future classes...less spots to go around with the log jam. Kids that are a junior that would be normally gone will still get another year too meaning less spots. Coaches that have not over loaded classes and with better planning could have an advantage. Good thing Archie has saved a few scholarships.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

That really hurts future classes...less spots to go around with the log jam. Kids that are a junior that would be normally gone will still get another year too meaning less spots. Coaches that have not over loaded classes and with better planning could have an advantage. Good thing Archie has saved a few scholarships.

Let’s just hope there is at least half a season

Archived