Avery Brown (2022)

Just now, IU Scott said:

17 assist in one game is impressive but the 6.6 points and 42% shooting not so much

He was a sophomore last season.  I don't worry too much about stats at that age.  I don't know, but I bet Vic didn't average any more than 6.6 as a sophomore in high school.

8 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

A couple questions here... 

1. Indiana is almost never the first major offer so what changed with this kid... someone in his range (because rankings do matter in offers) is where Indiana always waits to make an offer especially with them having way more targets at that position for 2021 and 2022. 
2. is this someone who is low because of his points but could skyrocket as he develops with the reclassification? 
3. what’s your first impressions of him?

Saw this tidbit on Brown after Penn State offered (May of this year)

"Avery: I would say my leadership and my ability to put my team in the best position to win basketball games separates me from any guard in the country. I pride myself of my work ethic and I truly want to be the greatest."

I think Archie values leadership, especially from a PG, as much as anything... 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

There is concern he is too small.  

Ha was Yogi to small? Oh that’s right he is Indiana’s all time assist leader now. If you can play you can play. Archie being a good small guard himself I doubt he would think like this. Leland Walker is going to be really good for whoever gets him.

Edited by 5 championships

Though from the East Coast. I've been told Avery and his dad have followed the Hoosiers for years. They both love the Candy Stripes.  And his knowledge of IUBB is surprisingly deep.... favorite player was I. Thomas.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Man this one is going to cause some controversy if we emphasize this kid over some of our home grown talent. Forwards and centers are one thing...but this state is always full of a slew of talented guards. No matter what I trust Archie to know what he wants at the point...Rob and now Lander...hard to argue.

5 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Ha was Yogi to small? Oh that’s right he is Indiana’s all time assist leader now. If you can play you can play. Archie being a good small guard himself I doubt he would think like this. Leland Walker is going to be really good for whoever gets him.

Yep.  It's the size of the Heart of a Hoosier, when it comes to IUBB.  Regardless of what state they come from.

6 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Hey it’s what they think.  Archie may have been small but most college coaches want bigger PGs like in the 6’1” and above range. The shortest PG Archie has offered so far was 6’0”.  Most are 6’1” and above. 

Yogi took two years to acclimate and he still struggled on D as a short PG.  You also have to think packline D and length and height to defend. You need length to guard the 3. 

Edited by IU_Realist

The Leland Walker height thing is pure balderdash. Archie and staff are in daily communication with Walker.  

The must important defensive attribute for defending other point guards is not being 6’3.  It’s having excellent foot quickness to stop the ball and make it difficult for the other lead guard to initiate.  You’ve got to keep the ball in front of you and stop it.  A defense that doesn’t have a single guy that can do that will have to then compensate for that deficiency.  So you try to avoid having that deficiency in the first instance.

We also know that Archie has told another smaller player in Smith that he doesn’t care how tall he is.  Maybe you want to mix and match personnel to have a roster with a taller guard coupled with a smaller one but the notion that a player can’t be recruited because he’s only 6’0 is false.  Besides, Walker is a top flight athlete from what I’ve seen and that kind of athleticism is an equalizer.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I’m intrigued by all the PG offers for this class. IF we have a season (successful) I wonder if anyone would pop early? Like this school year. 

PS I’m all in on Leland Walker and Braden Smith. Just a personal opinion. 

I like to see Thornton and Smith

1 hour ago, Sark said:

Interesting that IT was his favorite player even though his NBA career ended several years before Avery was born.

Sounds like his parents had an influence there. I know I grew up on Pete Marovich and Jack Nickalus tapes and their careers were basically over by that time...some of my best memories were practicing their instructional videos with my dad.

Edited by dgambill

3 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Hey it’s what they think.  Archie may have been small but most college coaches want bigger PGs like in the 6’1” and above range. The shortest PG Archie has offered so far was 6’0”.  Most are 6’1” and above. 

Yogi took two years to acclimate and he still struggled on D as a short PG.  You also have to think packline D and length and height to defend. You need length to guard the 3. 

Yogi did not struggle on D as an upperclassman. I was at the Iowa game his senior year when they switched him on to Peter Jok in the second half and he shut him down. Iowa was ranked 3rd In the nation at the time.
He did not take 2 years to adjust. He was the starting point guard for the BIG champs and number 1 seed in the tourney as a Freshmen. 

Yes if 2 players are equal you take the one with more height. Not many are equal to leland Walker. Yes length is nice but that does not mean you take someone that is not as good because they are a couple inches taller. Sounds like something Crean would do. I don’t believe Archie thinks that way. Rob Is barely 6 foot and is the best on ball defender on the team. Archie didn’t back off from him because of his height.