Avery Brown (2022)

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The Leland Walker height thing is pure balderdash. Archie and staff are in daily communication with Walker.  

The must important defensive attribute for defending other point guards is not being 6’3.  It’s having excellent foot quickness to stop the ball and make it difficult for the other lead guard to initiate.  You’ve got to keep the ball in front of you and stop it.  A defense that doesn’t have a single guy that can do that will have to then compensate for that deficiency.  So you try to avoid having that deficiency in the first instance.

We also know that Archie has told another smaller player in Smith that he doesn’t care how tall he is.  Maybe you want to mix and match personnel to have a roster with a taller guard coupled with a smaller one but the notion that a player can’t be recruited because he’s only 6’0 is false.  Besides, Walker is a top flight athlete from what I’ve seen and that kind of athleticism is an equalizer.  

Nice post

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Yogi did not struggle on D as an upperclassman. I was at the Iowa game his senior year when they switched him on to Peter Jok in the second half and he shut him down. Iowa was ranked 3rd In the nation at the time.
He did not take 2 years to adjust. He was the starting point guard for the BIG champs and number 1 seed in the tourney as a Freshmen. 

Yes if 2 players are equal you take the one with more height. Not many are equal to leland Walker. Yes length is nice but that does not mean you take someone that is not as good because they are a couple inches taller. Sounds like something Crean would do. I don’t believe Archie thinks that way. Rob Is barely 6 foot and is the best on ball defender on the team. Archie didn’t back off from him because of his height. 

His PER was not as a starting PG as a frosh.  He shouldn’t have started and only did because Crean made a promise to him during recruiting.  His PER was 13 which is low for a 5 star PG or low for a starting PG in general.  We could have walked out a lot of players as a starting PG and still won it.  Abell left because of the nonsense. His sophomore season led to a lot of fighting on the team mainly due to his immaturity.  Ask Sheehey how many times he would yell at him and the rest of the 2012 and 2013 class.  He started doing better on offense as an upperclassmen because losing helps you focus more.  However scouts views on his defense in college....not a good write up on that.  

17A9DDE1-CEB9-4899-A824-965DCCE57DB4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

His PER was not as a starting PG as a frosh.  He shouldn’t have started and only did because Crean made a promise to him during recruiting.  His PER was 13 which is low for a 5 star PG or low for a starting PG in general.  We could have walked out a lot of players as a starting PG and still won it.  Abell left because of the nonsense. His sophomore season led to a lot of fighting on the team mainly due to his immaturity.  Ask Sheehey how many times he would yell at him and the rest of the 2012 and 2013 class.  He started doing better on offense as an upperclassmen because losing helps you focus more.  However scouts views on his defense in college....not a good write up on that.  

17A9DDE1-CEB9-4899-A824-965DCCE57DB4.jpeg

I never saw Abell as a 1 more of a 2. Yogi was very solid as a freshmen he didn’t just start over a promise. He averaged 4 assist a game as a fresh. The team needed a true PG. it allowed Hulls to play more of his natural position as a 2 guard. his sophomore year the team was in a transition year and yogi really had to step up into more of a scoring role. Sheehey well he was good off the bench in that role but he was never going to be the man on a winning team. And he can say what he wants but Yogi shot 40 percent from deep that year on almost 7 attempts per game and averaged 4 assists.  
Was Yogi a great defender or known for his defense well no I don’t believe that but he was never a liability and at times he really stepped up and lead on the defensive end. 
And At the end of the day the man was a career 40 percent shooter from deep, Indiana’s All TIME assist leader, racked up 1,986 points in his career, and 2 time outright BIG Ten champ.

not bad for a short guard, taking 2 years to adjust, and being a liability on defense. Oh and he is doing just fine in the NBA. 

10 hours ago, Sark said:

Interesting that IT was his favorite player even though his NBA career ended several years before Avery was born.

His dad was a fan of IT.  As Avery grew... Arvery's dad insisted on Avery watching IU greats, and in particular IT.  And IT became Avery's favorite. That's how that came about.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 5 championships said:

I never saw Abell as a 1 more of a 2. Yogi was very solid as a freshmen he didn’t just start over a promise. He averaged 4 assist a game as a fresh. The team needed a true PG. it allowed Hulls to play more of his natural position as a 2 guard. his sophomore year the team was in a transition year and yogi really had to step up into more of a scoring role. Sheehey well he was good off the bench in that role but he was never going to be the man on a winning team. And he can say what he wants but Yogi shot 40 percent from deep that year on almost 7 attempts per game and averaged 4 assists.  
Was Yogi a great defender or known for his defense well no I don’t believe that but he was never a liability and at times he really stepped up and lead on the defensive end. 
And At the end of the day the man was a career 40 percent shooter from deep, Indiana’s All TIME assist leader, racked up 1,986 points in his career, and 2 time outright BIG Ten champ.

not bad for a short guard, taking 2 years to adjust, and being a liability on defense. Oh and he is doing just fine in the NBA. 

He had a bad PER as a Frosh. That’s efficiency.  It was bad for a starting PG for the #1 team in the country.  Going back in history, I would have wanted another starting PG during Yogi’s frosh and Soph years.  

He was a liability on defense.  It was the scouts biggest knock on him during college.  Do you think they do that for fun?  Just make up reports about him because well they don’t like him.  

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

He had a bad PER as a Frosh. That’s efficiency.  It was bad for a starting PG for the #1 team in the country.  Going back in history, I would have wanted another starting PG during Yogi’s frosh and Soph years.  

He was a liability on defense.  It was the scouts biggest knock on him during college.  Do you think they do that for fun?  Just make up reports about him because well they don’t like him.  

You can use PER all you want which some of those stats have there use but I let my eyes do a lot of the determining. I thought Yogi was just fine as a defender. Part of being a scout is determining how someone will translate at the next level. Which I can see a concern for him trying to guard much more advanced guards in NBA. That quote was from one individual. People have different opinions and are wrong on players a lot.  He’s done well enough as a backup to earn multiple contracts. Good convo though I don’t mind being challenged. Let’s get back to Avery Brown. 

15 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The Leland Walker height thing is pure balderdash. Archie and staff are in daily communication with Walker.  

The must important defensive attribute for defending other point guards is not being 6’3.  It’s having excellent foot quickness to stop the ball and make it difficult for the other lead guard to initiate.  You’ve got to keep the ball in front of you and stop it.  A defense that doesn’t have a single guy that can do that will have to then compensate for that deficiency.  So you try to avoid having that deficiency in the first instance.

We also know that Archie has told another smaller player in Smith that he doesn’t care how tall he is.  Maybe you want to mix and match personnel to have a roster with a taller guard coupled with a smaller one but the notion that a player can’t be recruited because he’s only 6’0 is false.  Besides, Walker is a top flight athlete from what I’ve seen and that kind of athleticism is an equalizer.  

It’s not.  It’s why he hasn’t been offered.  Miller wants a taller PG. Look at the ones he has offered so far.  Walker and Smith are in the second group to the IU staff.  

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

You can use PER all you want which some of those stats have there use but I let my eyes do a lot of the determining. I thought Yogi was just fine as a defender. Part of being a scout is determining how someone will translate at the next level. Which I can see a concern for him trying to guard much more advanced guards in NBA. That quote was from one individual. People have different opinions and are wrong on players a lot.  He’s done well enough as a backup to earn multiple contracts. Good convo though I don’t mind being challenged. Let’s get back to Avery Brown. 

Oh the eye test.  You are blind then.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

It’s not.  It’s why he hasn’t been offered.  Miller wants a taller PG. Look at the ones he has offered so far.  Walker and Smith are in the second group to the IU staff.  

I won't pretend to know what Archie wants, but I'm certainly not going to read anything in to him not offering those guys. Has Archie ever offered a player that lowly ranked since coming to IU? If he ever does, it certainly shouldn't be this far out. 

Yogi really improved a lot as he went along but man he drove me nuts early on. Defense was terrible I don’t know how anyone can defend him on that...he also had a bad habit of dribbling into trouble and leaving his feet to pass....got much much much better as he got older to the point he was almost a complete pg on offense...but his defense even now in the nba is why he hasn’t broken through with major minutes...let’s be real he can run a second unit but his size and defense keeps him from being elite....Now as far as Walker and Smith etc and what Archie wants...I will leave that up to him I have no clue what’s in his head. I do know Like Bob said....you have to have quickness of foot to stop penetration first and foremost as a pg...it is the most important defensive attribute for a guard imo. Arm length seems to be something big too as it lets guys get hands on passing lanes and driving lanes and contest shots....size is not the end all be all for a pg...but if you look at elite ones in the nba...few if any are 6’0...it can definitely help you separate good from great If you have all else equal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I won't pretend to know what Archie wants, but I'm certainly not going to read anything in to him not offering those guys. Has Archie ever offered a player that lowly ranked since coming to IU? If he ever does, it certainly shouldn't be this far out. 

I am not going off of offers.  Want to see what happens with their first choices before going this route. See Brown and others they have offered as a better fit for their system. 

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Brown's progression is going to be very interesting to watch.  Miller went out of character and offered someone unproven early.  But usually when he is early on someone he is right.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2022-point-guard-avery-brown-has-a-big-time-breakout-coming/?

I’m watching his videos...omg...I mean how in the world is that kid a sophomore and even more so how is he only scoring like 6pts a game with 4 assist. Someone should have a convo with his coach about his role...wowzer. I hope getting in early helps this one looks to be special.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 9:29 PM, dgambill said:

I’m watching his videos...omg...I mean how in the world is that kid a sophomore and even more so how is he only scoring like 6pts a game with 4 assist. Someone should have a convo with his coach about his role...wowzer. I hope getting in early helps this one looks to be special.

He reclassified down to 2022, and he is going to have a huge role the next two years on what is a very good prep school team.  I think it was a good sign that he indicated IU was pushing hard still because Bruiser was his point man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

He reclassified down to 2022, and he is going to have a huge role the next two years on what is a very good prep school team.  I think it was a good sign that he indicated IU was pushing hard still because Bruiser was his point man.

Just reading the article I get this sneaky suspicion he really likes IU and could be our first commitment of 2022.... ignore this I was thinking of C.J. Gunn

Edited by IUfaninIllinois
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/2022-avery-brown-building-bonds-with-indiana-missouri-others

This is one player I hope we get in the 2022 class.  Not a big time scorer but is a true PG and a great leader.

We are on some good point guards. Gotta think we take multiple from that class. Rob and Khristian will be gone. Lots of minutes to go around.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We are on some good point guards. Gotta think we take multiple from that class. Rob and Khristian will be gone. Lots of minutes to go around.

I think the top 2 we are after is Thorton and Brown and woud like 1 of those two.  Then it woud be good to get another PG who is willing to come in and not worry about playing time right away.  I doubt that Brown and Thorton would both come because they probably see themselves as starters right away.

I can definitely see us getting him and I could even see us taking him in 2021.  He already released down so it likely wouldnt be hard for him to move back up.  He likely wont be a big minutes player his freshman year due to his scoring but he would be good as a second year guy or maybe even redshirt then pair with another guard in the 2022 class like Thornton, Trejuan Holloman or Leland Walker.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This recruitment I think is going to be even bigger with the recent pg news of Thornton decision, Walker pending without an offer, and Gibbs-Lawhorn going out of state. Hope to hear more news soon.

I have heard interviews with him and saw some highlights and he seems like a true leader on the court

• Like 3

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have heard interviews with him and saw some highlights and he seems like a true leader on the court

Anyone willing to sacrifice scoring in this day and age with the skills he possesses and willing to take a different role to better his team is a leader in my book! Really like the kid.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...