New approach/offense in 2020-21

We lost two players of any real significance, both of whom were erratic and didn’t aways play hard.

We replaced them with a 5* point guard and three other top 150 kids.

We return a 5th year senior, a 4th year senior who will be starting for his 3rd year, a junior pg who has started for the better part of two years, a 4th year junior and a 3rd year sophomore, oh and our best player, a sophomore who was one of the best freshmen in the Big Ten last year.  

In this day and age of college basketball, I’ll take that experience. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/3/2020 at 1:58 PM, KoB2011 said:

Well, I said it for one. Other than having a higher vertical (maybe), what about Smith is more athletic than Geronimo? 

I just watched some Geronimo clips, and I’m quite comfortable saying he’s more athletic than Justin Smith, especially when you take into account that Smith’s athleticism doesn’t translate all that much to the actual game. 

Geronimo is much more explosive and appears to have length on Smith as well. When Geronimo dunks it’s like he’s on a 9ft rim and barely trying. 

I think some of the arguments do not make any sense in this thread.

Take a team with 12 players one year: 3 Fr, 3 So, 3 Jr, 3 Sr. At the end of the year, the 3 seniors graduate and are replaced by 3 freshman.

The team has the same experience at the start of the next season as it was at the start of the previous.

In recruiting, you are recruiting freshman. Unless you have only one and done players, you will be replacing seniors with freshman. Does not mean the team is getting younger.

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I just watched some Geronimo clips, and I’m quite comfortable saying he’s more athletic than Justin Smith, especially when you take into account that Smith’s athleticism doesn’t translate all that much to the actual game. 

Geronimo is much more explosive and appears to have length on Smith as well. When Geronimo dunks it’s like he’s on a 9ft rim and barely trying. 

Was wondering when someone would respond to that athleticism comparison. It’s not even close, IMO. Geronimo is an explosive dunker, a lengthy, mobile wing, whereas Smith is a strong, tough kid who can get in your face, but he’s not going to explode past you “downhill,” or fly over and dunk on you in transition. They’re different players, but everything I’ve seen (and heard) of Geronimo has him  clearly more athletic. 

1 hour ago, NY hoosier said:

Don’t want to be part of the problem, rather the solution, but Why do you guys argue this stuff? Boredom? Passion?? Just interested, and I know I don’t have read it, but it’s like a car wreck!

Because the poster who they are arguing with is just her to troll and take the other side of the argument.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Was wondering when someone would respond to that athleticism comparison. It’s not even close, IMO. Geronimo is an explosive dunker, a lengthy, mobile wing, whereas Smith is a strong, tough kid who can get in your face, but he’s not going to explode past you “downhill,” or fly over and dunk on you in transition. They’re different players, but everything I’ve seen (and heard) of Geronimo has him  clearly more athletic. 

Well said. Geronimo has that VO, Troy Williams explosiveness, maybe even more than Troy. Smith doesn’t have that. 

1 hour ago, NY hoosier said:

Don’t want to be part of the problem, rather the solution, but Why do you guys argue this stuff? Boredom? Passion?? Just interested, and I know I don’t have read it, but it’s like a car wreck!

I tried to look away, i tried not to take a video and be that guy and make it worse.  I've posted like 10 times in 2 months because I've been so busy remodeling a house and this is how I break away from my grind?  I'm so tired of cardboard and Styrofoam,  loading the truck and going to the recycle center.  

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Anyone remember when The Movement was going to relegate Watford, Hulls, jones, and some guy named Oladipo to the bench?

It did....a bench in the g-league/europe, a bench in (poland?), a bench sumwhere else over seas and a bench in a few different cities in the NBA.  😏:coffee:

13 hours ago, BGleas said:

Smith for 90% of the game besides in wide open breakaways played like he had my vertical haha never in my life have I seen so many missed layups from a guy that could just about jump over the rim but played on the ground in traffic for most of the game? Weird. 

14 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

To be fair, I tried to have that discussion but Sark refuses to state how he is measuring athleticism. I didn't want to make a lengthy post only for him to move the goalposts.... 

On 8/3/2020 at 10:07 PM, snowling said:

"Thompson’s leadership is a hopeful indicator for a team turning a corner from somewhat inexperienced to veteran. Thompson, Brunk, Durham, Phinisee, Jackson-Davis, and even Armaan Franklin and Jerome Hunter, have significant experience now."

I think this is the key point in the argument. You will almost always have players leave. They can't stay forever. When marginal players leave and the core gets older, that can only be a benefit.

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

"Thompson’s leadership is a hopeful indicator for a team turning a corner from somewhat inexperienced to veteran. Thompson, Brunk, Durham, Phinisee, Jackson-Davis, and even Armaan Franklin and Jerome Hunter, have significant experience now."

I think this is the key point in the argument. You will almost always have players leave. They can't stay forever. When marginal players leave and the core gets older, that can only be a benefit.

We are younger probably on the average age of our team (Haven't ran the math, just guiessing), but the experience of the starters is definitely older in my opinion

Archived