DD is ripping Archie and IU basketball

I just got into my car a few minutes ago and 1070 was on and it was in a middle of a DD rant on Archie.  Talked about how the local media is afraid of Archie and don't know why they give him a pass on his first 3 years.  Said Archie hasn't done a thing his 3 years and he does not hold players accountable and talked about how he has not developed his players.  Went on to say that when he first saw Archie was the new head coach and thought to himself that is this what Indiana basketball has become.  I think he was talking about how small he was and did not look like a guy to lead IU basketball.  I don't know what started this rant or why he is even talking about IU basketball right now but he just comes off as a bitter old man.

He also ripped IU for letting Crean go after how he brought the team from where it was and how much Crean won here.  Also talked how good of a shape IU basketball was in when Crean left.  I guess he did not take in the fact that Archie's first year that the top 3 players left to go pro in OG, TB and JBJ.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess he did not take in the fact that Archie's first year that the top 3 players left to go pro in OG, TB and JBJ.

Did Dan take into fact that Crean's last year Coach Crean had missed the tournament for the fifth time in nine years ?  And though IU started the season out number three in the nation..... finished Crean's last season at 18-16 ?

Coach Miller has been at IU for just three years. And if it had not been for the pandemic, all experts had IU in the tournament in his third year at IU. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Did Dan take into fact that Crean's last year Coach Crean had missed the tournament for the fifth time in nine years ?  And though IU started the season out number three in the nation..... finished Crean's last season at 18-16 ?

Coach Miller has been at IU for just three years. And if it had not been for the pandemic, all experts had IU in the tournament in his third year at IU. 

I don't know what started this rant but it just comes off as a bitter old man.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know what started this rant but it just comes off as a bitter old man.

Was a time. Years back. Used to listen to Dan every day.  Stopped when he would hang up on callers for what seemed to me no reason at all... and then call them names after hanging up on them.  Needless to say. I have not listened to his show for years.

Only explanation I can offer.  Ratings must be down.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I just got into my cat a few minutes ago and 1070 was on and it was in a middle of a DD rant on Archie.  Talked about how the local media is afraid of Archie and don't know why they give him a pass on his first 3 years.  Said Archie hasn't done a thing his 3 years and he does not hold players accountable and talked about how he has not developed his players.  Went on to say that when he first saw Archie was the new head coach and thought to himself that is this what Indiana basketball has become.  I think he was talking about how small he was and did not look like a guy to lead IU basketball.  I don't know what started this rant or why he is even talking about IU basketball right now but he just comes off as a bitter old man.

He also ripped IU for letting Crean go after how he brought the team from where it was and how much Crean won here.  Also talked how good of a shape IU basketball was in when Crean left.  I guess he did not take in the fact that Archie's first year that the top 3 players left to go pro in OG, TB and JBJ.

Shaq And Cat GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

5 minutes ago, Sark said:

Not sure what the EMMS share price and de-listing have to do with Dakich’s job, since his ratings are solid and he has the ESPN platform. They aren’t going out of business or even heading that way. I know some IU fans don’t like him because he’s not a homer, but I think he does a good job on tv. Rarely hear the radio show but always thought he was able to get good guests, especially for a show from Indy.

Direct question.  And, I hope you can provide a direct answer.

Should he be ripping on Archie like this, in July of all times, when we know nothing about how the team will perform this season, if they even get a chance to show it?

My answer is no.  He's clearly simply looking to stir the pot and increase ratings.

5 minutes ago, Sark said:

I didn’t hear it, so it’s hard for me to comment on it. What did he say that was so bad?

I did not hear it either.  Just going off what Scott put in the original post and it sounds like Dakich was spewing nonsense to rip on Archie while giving props to Crean.

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

I added to my response. Not sure if what Dakich said was nonsense or not, but they’re points that have some validity, I think. As for timing, it’s a slow summer with no sports, so I guess he needs to find something to discuss. Better that than apathy.

Regardless of anything else he may have said, Crean did not leave the team in good shape.  The roster was a hodge-podge of pieces that did not fit and we had a serious issue with APR.

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...he's lost all credibility.  Good luck getting Archie to talk to you, Danny-Boy.

I think some of his problem with IU is that he can't get anyone from IU on his show.  The problem is that is just not his show but IU don't let their coaches and players do many local interviews.

I clicked on this thread and I just knew that the only person that would defend Jockitch would be Sark! 

His routine is so old when it comes to IU. Sure when he does other games or when he is in studio discussing other schools it’s all good but he is awful when it comes to IU...so biased!

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Regardless of anything else he may have said, Crean did not leave the team in good shape.  The roster was a hodge-podge of pieces that did not fit and we had a serious issue with APR.

I got into my car and I don't know why he was talking about it or how long he had been talking about.  the first thing I heard was more about the local media on how they have given him a free pass for the last 3 years.  He made it sound like Crean did not get the same treatment but I would bet if you go back Crean was not getting ripped by the local media in year 3.  Then he went on to say how Archie has not proved anything in his 3 years which is not really accurate unless he didn't think we would be in the tournament this past year.  I totally disagreed that Crean left the program in great shape because he left out the fact that the top 3 players eft to go pro.  What really upset me on his personal attacks on Archie by saying just looking  at him he does not look like what IU coach should look like.  

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I clicked on this thread and I just knew that the only person that would defend Jockitch would be Sark! 

His routine is so old when it comes to IU. Sure when he does other games or when he is in studio discussing other schools it’s all good but he is awful when it comes to IU...so biased!

Hadn't seen that but what a surprise, maybe Sark is DD

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Wouldn't be the first time an IU HC refused to go on Dan's show.  After a while Kevin Wilson refused to go on Dan's show.

DD is the Mike Wells of reporting when it comes to IU reporting....just no credibility and I’m not sure he has been right about anything either have written...ever!

7 minutes ago, Sark said:

Jockitch? That’s what you call him? And you confirmed my point that the reason most fans with IU loyalties don’t like him is because he’s not a homer.

It isn’t about being a homer...it’s about being objective! Please don’t even start! I actually really like Robbie Hummel probably more than anyone and he is far far from being an IU homer...geez man.

and yes I call him that because he is so irritating to listen to...basically on the same level as having jock itch...I mute him and turn on the radio for all his games.

Yeah, Dakich is exactly what an IU head coach should look like 🙄

Dan is all about Dan, and if a mouth had eight sides, he’d find a way to talk out of all of them.

Been said on here many times before, but IU made Dakich. Without his scholarship, and the opportunities he has been given because of it, he has a platform to spout off on. Had he not been an IU athlete, he’d just be another guy working in the steel mills up in Gary.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Voluntarily, or were you being held captive?

Lol...I transferred for my job and lived in Murray Ky. Great hunting and fishing and Kentucky Lake....then met my wife and lived in Paducah...but yeah it wasn’t ideal. Could have been worse...could have moved to Illinois lol. Now I’m in South Florida and it’s no comparison lol...only bad thing is I gave up UK fans for Yankee and Red Sox fans lol...but they aren’t half as bad as BBN.

The only thing I can think of why he would be taking about IU today is that Archie did a zoom call yesterday with the local media.  Maybe he did not really like what Archie said or he just don't like him personally.  DD kept talking about wanting IU to get back to the old IU mentality of hard work, integrity, no non sense or not using  gimmicks  What is funny the very person who instilled those qualities is the same person he says he despises today.  He mad mouths RMK on how he treated him and others yet he wants that mentality back at IU..  I am not saying I don't want those qualities back at IU but I find DD saying it to be hypocritical.

Archived