DD is ripping Archie and IU basketball

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah, Dakich is exactly what an IU head coach should look like 🙄

Dan is all about Dan, and if a mouth had eight sides, he’d find a way to talk out of all of them.

Been said on here many times before, but IU made Dakich. Without his scholarship, and the opportunities he has been given because of it, he has a platform to spout off on. Had he not been an IU athlete, he’d just be another guy working in the steel mills up in Gary.

It is amazing the doors IU basketball opens for ex players...can’t be underestimated for future recruits.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DD is the definition of bitter.

He's always thought more of himself than he should. His coaching career was lackluster in a lackluster conference where, in ten seasons, he had a winning record only 4 times and finished with a losing record in each of the last five seasons. You notice there is not outcry to hire him as a head coach or assistant coach anywhere. Burnt bridges, big ego, and little talent do not equal options. 

Seems pretty clear it all went downhill when he expected to get the IU job and it didn't happen. The whole "IU guy" thing was flushed. Now he's media. The only thing he has left is to manufacture controversy. Watch - in a month or two he'll praise Archie. The fact is, DD is a small, two-faced, bitter little man. He will eventually get run out of his radio gig as he continues to find ways to get suspended, and as noted earlier, he will burn his bridges.

2 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

DD is the definition of bitter.

He's always thought more of himself than he should. His coaching career was lackluster in a lackluster conference where, in ten seasons, he had a winning record only 4 times and finished with a losing record in each of the last five seasons. You notice there is not outcry to hire him as a head coach or assistant coach anywhere. Burnt bridges, big ego, and little talent do not equal options. 

Seems pretty clear it all went downhill when he expected to get the IU job and it didn't happen. The whole "IU guy" thing was flushed. Now he's media. The only thing he has left is to manufacture controversy. Watch - in a month or two he'll praise Archie. The fact is, DD is a small, two-faced, bitter little man. He will eventually get run out of his radio gig as he continues to find ways to get suspended, and as noted earlier, he will burn his bridges.

His excuse about his time at BG is that he lost his two best players every year in those last 5 years.  That might be correct so why does he not look at the injuries IU has had in the 3 years that Archie has been here.  Even though I dislike his radio persona, I think he knows the game well and when just talking about basketball I don't mid him.  Whatever he has done it has allowed him to make enough money to buy a house on Geist Reservoir.

Dan has burned just about every bridge at IU. IU invited all players back, besides Dan Dakich for Knight's return. 

I no longer live in the Indy area, but even when I did I quit listening to his show a couple years before I moved.  He is nothing but a troll and shock jock anymore. 

I think he does a solid job as an analyst. Pretty honest assessments and not a homer for anything but good hoops. That’s where I stop...

if it were Alford in Btown Instead of CAM after year 3, he’d be sniffing his coin purse (sack) and praising how greatly they’ve improved over the past 3 seasons. 

The dude searches his own name on Twitter. 

3 hours ago, Sark said:

Not sure what the EMMS share price and de-listing have to do with Dakich’s job, since his ratings are solid and he has the ESPN platform. They aren’t going out of business or even heading that way. I know some IU fans don’t like him because he’s not a homer, but I think he does a good job on tv. Rarely hear the radio show but always thought he was able to get good guests, especially for a show from Indy.

You are one of the most negative posters to grace this wonderful site in a year, seems like 85-90% are confrontational. Don’t get me wrong, a negative/different side keeps things interesting. 

35 minutes ago, Sark said:

This wasn’t negative, I just didn’t know what the Emmis stuff had to do with Dakich. But I think the point about people not liking him because he’s not an IU homer has been made. If he was, he wouldn’t have many critics at all.

It’s not because he isn’t a homer, it’s because he’s completely disrespectful and hypocritical in the way he treats Archie, some of the players, and in the past Crean. Constantly calling Archie ‘lil Archie’, screams of a pettiness and jealousy and a man that’s crying because his guy didn’t get the job. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It’s not because he isn’t a homer, it’s because he’s completely disrespectful and hypocritical in the way he treats Archie, some of the players, and in the past Crean. Constantly calling Archie ‘lil Archie’, screams of a pettiness and jealousy and a man that’s crying because his guy didn’t get the job. 

Actually I don't like homer announcers and that is the main reason the last few games I have watched the Cubs broadcast over the Reds.  DD is just an angry old man who thinks he invented the game and anyone who doesn't agree with him is an idiot.  Actually if he is doing a game I don't mind him talking basketball, it is when he takes shots at people that I don't care for.  In the past other fans and coaches has had problems with him as well.  Izzo called him out on at least one occasion and their crowd can't stand him.  Also I know he has had run ins with Iowa's coach McCaffery and their fans.

38 minutes ago, Sark said:

This wasn’t negative, I just didn’t know what the Emmis stuff had to do with Dakich. But I think the point about people not liking him because he’s not an IU homer has been made. If he was, he wouldn’t have many critics at all.

Not at all. The point was he is the only announcer and radio personality that goes out of his way to run down IU and especially Indiana fans. All his crap about assembly call and the shots at the program gets old. Point people make is he uses his Indiana ties and the fact that there are a ton of Indiana fans in his listening audience to drum up ratings by tearing down the University and creating a frenzy over his comments. He thinks the Skip Baylass/Steven A stuff will grab ratings...but honestly he would have a ton more support and listeners if he just was objective....and people are right...he is an @ss to most of his callers. Objectivity...it shouldn’t be hard...and it isn’t difficult to see Archie walked into a team devoid of any talent at all and is making steady improvement. We may not be 70-early 90s Hoosiers but this team Archie is putting together is on the right track.

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just got into my car a few minutes ago and 1070 was on and it was in a middle of a DD rant on Archie.  Talked about how the local media is afraid of Archie and don't know why they give him a pass on his first 3 years.  Said Archie hasn't done a thing his 3 years and he does not hold players accountable and talked about how he has not developed his players.  Went on to say that when he first saw Archie was the new head coach and thought to himself that is this what Indiana basketball has become.  I think he was talking about how small he was and did not look like a guy to lead IU basketball.  I don't know what started this rant or why he is even talking about IU basketball right now but he just comes off as a bitter old man.

He also ripped IU for letting Crean go after how he brought the team from where it was and how much Crean won here.  Also talked how good of a shape IU basketball was in when Crean left.  I guess he did not take in the fact that Archie's first year that the top 3 players left to go pro in OG, TB and JBJ.

Three quick comments:

DD couldn't stand Crean, wouldn't even let his son walkon there.  It changed, when Crean gave DD tickets and an interview on his show.

DD is probably pissed that Archie gave an interview Jeff Goodman daughter and still won't go on hia show.

Lastly, he is probably a little ticked by the recent podcast from Hoosierhysterics when they talkd to Pat Shoulders and they debunked DD.

My favorite IU broadcaster has probably been Kitchel when he used to do color with Laz after Chuck Marlowe moved on.  He dissected the game with a very critical eye.  Laz did the same to a degree.  I prefer that over the homer. 

I don’t get Dakich’s fixation on Archie’s height.  That’s nice that Dakich is 6’5. Good for him.  He thinks height is a virtue.  But height is irrelevant to how a coach does his job.  Archie’s height is on par with Izzo, K, Crean, Dean Smith, Dag Gum Roy, Pitino, need I go on?   It’s Dakich being classless and boorish.  So if someone calls him Jock Itch, he surely can take it.  

Regarding the press corps, Crean didn’t have it any rougher. Crean got a free pass his first couple of years.  And the idea that Archie inherited a turnkey operation for success is fantastical.  I’m not against the press being more probing (besides Rabby) but it’s mostly the same cast of characters in the media that Crean dealt with.  

And it’s true that as optimistic as we want to be, it’s still left to the imagination how much success we are on the verge of enjoying.  That’s an open question even if we are seeing promising signs.  If we do, Dakich will surely jump on the bandwagon and start slurping up the kool aid.  His thought process is all over the place and he’s frequently  contradicting himself, sometimes in the same screed.  

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Was a time. Years back. Used to listen to Dan every day.  Stopped when he would hang up on callers for what seemed to me no reason at all... and then call them names after hanging up on them.  Needless to say. I have not listened to his show for years.

Only explanation I can offer.  Ratings must be down.

This is my exact experience with DD radio covering any topic: I couldn’t stand how rude he was to callers (even those that deserved it). Just not a dude I’d enjoy sitting next to at a bar so why listen to him in a car. 

DD is still sour about not being the head coach at IU for longer than his tenure was.     Oh and the fact that he assumes he's right and never wrong gives him a big head on his shoulders.

DD will hang up on callers and voice his displeasure after hanging up.  JMV will discuss the situation on live broadcast but will not curse or talk down about the caller afterwards because every caller is entitled to an opinion as is DD or JMV.  DD just voices his opinion very different and he lets his feelings get the best of him more times than not.   How many times has he been suspended?  A few that I can recall over the last 5 or 6 years.  I do not recall JMV being suspended due to his radio.  I will always continue listening to JMV on 1070 the fan and never DD on 1070 the fan. 

It's all part of the gig. There is a reason why his numbers are so strong and his audience continues to grow. DD on the radio is no different than an actor playing a character on TV. All attention and publicity is good when it comes to talk radio. Just look at the fact that we have several threads discussing him. Its all part of it. Off air he is much different but if that was his routine on air he would be unemployed. the Homer routine only goes so far and alienates more than it brings in. 

I agree. It's his job now to stir things up. The problem is his petty personal attacks on Archie Miller and others. If you call a grown man lil' Archie, it has nothing to do with his coaching or recruiting abilities. It's a personal attack you would expect from a 4th grader.

Interesting notes: If you compare their college stats Archie was the better player. If you compare their coaching stats - Archie is a better coach. If you compare their actions and how they treat others, Archie is a better person.

Any way you slice it, Archie Miller is better than bitter danny dakich

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t get Dakich’s fixation on Archie’s height.  That’s nice that Dakich is 6’5. Good for him.  He thinks height is a virtue.  But height is irrelevant to how a coach does his job.  Archie’s height is on par with Izzo, K, Crean, Dean Smith, Dag Gum Roy, Pitino, need I go on?   It’s Dakich being classless and boorish.  So if someone calls him Jock Itch, he surely can take it.  

Height didn't help DD be a better player or coach than AM.

image.png.074475a0bb06ab3fe12e33f0d01bea49.png

image.png.125fbad776caa7f62742aaa604db37cf.png

Despite playing 300+ more minutes, DD was outscored by AM by almost 600 pts and only had 8 more rebounds than 'Lil Arch. His size got him 2 block shots in those 1292 MP.

image.png.34636508f524302f75c347ced83134a7.png

image.png.a99f55d98b6816553470f6d0a1761049.png

No comparison on their coaching records, but a few things stand out to me. According to DD, AM hasn't done anything at IU, yet his winning % at IU .561 is better than DD's career winning %. AM's lowest SOS is 4.06 while DD's highest is 2.43 (excluding his 7 game stint as interim IU coach), yet AM still won more games at a higher %.

Dan Dakich on Being a Member of the Media on Make a GIF

56 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I agree. It's his job now to stir things up. The problem is his petty personal attacks on Archie Miller and others. If you call a grown man lil' Archie, it has nothing to do with his coaching or recruiting abilities. It's a personal attack you would expect from a 4th grader.

Interesting notes: If you compare their college stats Archie was the better player. If you compare their coaching stats - Archie is a better coach. If you compare their actions and how they treat others, Archie is a better person.

Any way you slice it, Archie Miller is better than bitter danny dakich

Didn't see your post before I made mine, but great minds...

Maybe DD is a Lou Pinella fan and that is where he gets the Lil from.  Archie should go on his show and have at it.  Not sure why he doesn't.  

I remember some time this summer DD had Roy Williams on, a proven cheater, and he just kissed up to him, callling him one of the greats.  The guy cheata with academics, etc.....and you preach doing the right thing....and then had the segment he did.....

Archived