UL post game thread

Indykev

15 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I wonder if the shooting problems we have this year aren't similar to Yogi's freshman year. I love the Clif Marshall addition but the big changes in strength these guys went through this summer have to have affected their shots, combine that with having to work so much on the new systems and the guys just haven't been able to get their shots going. As I said just wondering?

Rob stunk last year. Who was a good shooter before this year that now is struggling?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Shooting refers to jump shots, not dunks and layups. I'm assuming Davis is one of the last people you want taking one of those?

Not really. As I watched De'Ron over four years in high school.  He can do everything.

De'Ron Davis Does it All...

And , as I stated, probably not a fair comparison.  In that Archie has chosen De'Ron to stay close to the bucket.  Unlike Crean... who asked De'Ron to work on his corner three and followup three, his Senior year in high school.  Because of that... De'Ron has more skills than he has shown under Archie.  Believe me.,after watching De'Ron, since he was in the 8th grade... he can work from the outside.  However, I am with Archie, in that his greatest skill is inside.  Just because De'Ron is working under "Archie Ball" this year, does not mean he can't, or is not capable to work from the outside. In fact, I suspect if Crean were still coaching IU, you would be seeing De'Ron working from the outside, just as Thomas Bryant did last year. Bryant was great from the outside. But... is that where a BIG should be working, most of the time ?

It's all in the way a coach views where his Bigs should be positioning.  Granted, if Crean were still our HC... De'Ron's stats perhaps would not be as great as they are today. Yet.. under Crean, last year.... they were not all that bad, when Crean had De'Ron working from the outside, more than what Archie has done with De'Ron this year.

We can debate who is killing IU more between the senior guards, but the bottom line is both have been pretty bad this season to varying degrees and different times. As long as we play two guards big minutes where neither is a good shooter, neither is particularly great at penetrating, neither are really good distributors and neither force turnovers, this team won’t be very good. 

But with all that said, RoJo shooting 30% from 3 is absolutely crushing this team. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We can debate who is killing IU more between the senior guards, but the bottom line is both have been pretty bad this season to varying degrees and different times. As long as we play two guards big minutes where neither is a good shooter, neither is particularly great at penetrating, neither are really good distributors and neither force turnovers, this team won’t be very good. 

But with all that said, RoJo shooting 30% from 3 is absolutely crushing this team. 

Agreed.  And I suspect, as the season goes along... we will see Archie making changes along those lines.  Either in use of personnel or in game strategy. 

I welcome Mile’s point.  Davis has been really good with his back to the basket.  He’s been a load for even the best competition to handle down there.  He has just pounded some highly skilled and long bigs around like rag dolls.  And I like his motor.  I think he’s exactly where he needs to be right now and couldn’t be more pleased with him.  

I think in time, his conditioning, flexibility etc, will improve and he will be quicker to the ball on rebounds.  He will get the rebounding average up in time.  It reminds me of DJ White.  These are rugged, strong guys, but they aren’t necessarily super quick to the ball on rebounds.  You compare them with a guy like Alan Henderson.  Alan was a freak on the boards.  He understood angles and could anticipate where the ball would go.  But, he was also more wiry and long and could just get to the ball.  Like the early DJ White, Davis is a work in progress.  

I do think Archie is using him really well.  I’m bullish on him, but he should be thinking about spending all four years in college.  I hope he understands that.  Guys of his type are undervalued right now.  His best bet is to carve out a niche role at the next level but to get as much explosion and quickness that he can. 

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I welcome Mile’s point.  Davis has been really good with his back to the basket.  He’s been a load for even the best competition to handle down there.  He has just pounded some highly skilled and long bigs around like rag dolls.  And I like his motor.  I think he’s exactly where he needs to be right now and couldn’t be more pleased with him.  

I think in time, his conditioning, flexibility etc, will improve and he will be quicker to the ball on rebounds.  He will get the rebounding average up in time.  It reminds me of DJ White.  These are rugged, strong guys, but they aren’t necessarily super quick to the ball on rebounds.  You compare them with a guy like Alan Henderson.  Alan was a freak on the boards.  He understood angles and could anticipate where the ball would go.  But, he was also more wiry and long and could just get to the ball.  Like the early DJ White, Davis is a work in progress.  

I do think Archie is using him really well.  I’m bullish on him, but he should be thinking about spending all four years in college.  I hope he understands that.  Guys of his type are undervalued right now.  His best bet is to carve out a niche role at the next level but to get as much explosion and quickness that he can. 

I don't think at this point we need to worry about him playing 4 years in college.  Jahlil Okafor can't even see the floor on a mediocre team, and he's a similar but more talented in almost way player to Davis.  He's got to get a lot quicker and show some range if he ever wants to play in the NBA. 

Archived