Big Ten 2020-21 Power Rankings

Let the debate begin.  What is your order?

I'll list my order here so you don't have to click through if you don't want to.  The roster changes for every team are in the link if you want to see that before opining.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/big-ten-mens-basketball-power-rankings-post-nba-draft-entry-decision-deadline/

1. Illinois

2. Wisconsin

3. Iowa

4. Michigan State

5. Michigan

6. Indiana

7. Rutgers

8. Purdue

9. Maryland

10. Penn State

11. Ohio State

12. Northwestern

13. Minnesota

14. Nebraska

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Let the debate begin.  What is your order?

I'll list my order here so you don't have to click through if you don't want to.  The roster changes for every team are in the link if you want to see that before opining.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/big-ten-mens-basketball-power-rankings-post-nba-draft-entry-decision-deadline/

1. Illinois

2. Wisconsin

3. Iowa

4. Michigan State

5. Michigan

6. Indiana

7. Rutgers

8. Purdue

9. Maryland

10. Penn State

11. Ohio State

12. Northwestern

13. Minnesota

14. Nebraska

Iowa

UW

UI

IU

Michigan

MSU

Rutgers

OSU

Purdue

Maryland

Northwestern

PSU

Minnesota

Nebraska

17 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

They might be, but until I see them defend at a high level I am skeptical.  It is tough to compete at the top of the B1G without defense.  I also don't see anyone on the roster to help Garza in the frontcourt.

Nunge is 6'11 and looked jacked before was hurt last year.

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Parrish updated his 25 & 1, yesterday.

His BIG teams :

MSU  (4)

Iowa (6)

Illinois (7)

Wisconsin (11)

Ohio State (17)

Rutgers (21)

Indiana (23)

I just don't see OSU being in the top 25 and I don't think MSU will be the top team in the big ten.

My Power Rankings

1) Covid-19

2-14) Everyone but Purdue

15) Purdue

Even if there is a season, Covid-19 is sure to wreak havoc on the way it plays out.  There will be teams whose season is cratered by the virus, and other teams will take advantage.  I put Purdue last because I like putting Purdue last.

I would not put Iowa at the top.  I do like Weiskamp a lot and they are talented.   But, they have too many letdowns under Fran. That’s why I will take Wisconsin.  They are difficult to beat and they’ve got gritty kids with a refuse to lose attitude.  I would put Wisconsin first, then Illinois, then Iowa.

Michigan should be solid in the front court and Michigan State is a bit of a wildcard.  Michigan has front court guys that play incredibly hard.  I question their backcourt, but I love the intensity of Johns, Livers, and Franz Wagner.  For MSU, I do like Rocket Watts who I think takes a big step up.  But they lose a ton and will have a freshman big guy they will need to step up. Winston and Tillman are massive losses.  They were the heart and soul.  Ranking them 4th overall is lunacy.  On paper, I’d bunch Rutgers, Michigan, Michigan State, and IU on that second level.  IU has a shot to get ahead of both of Michigan teams.  Rutgers’ brand name hurts them with predictions but on the court they are a tough team.  

At the bottom, I’d put Nebraska, Penn State and Northwestern.  Minnesota has some veteran transfers coming in so I’d put them a step ahead of those three.  They could be on a level with Maryland and might even be better than the Terrapins.  Then you could bunch Purdue and Ohio State a level above them.  Ohio State has some fresh blood coming in, some with experience, but losing Carton and the Wessons is tough.  Purdue is so-so on paper but I’d expect Painter to keep them competitive. 

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Michigan State is a bit of a wildcard

For MSU, I do like Rocket Watts who I think takes a big step up.  But they lose a ton and will have a freshman big guy they will need to step up. Winston and Tillman are massive losses.  

Don't forget they have Joey Hauser coming in too. I think Marcus Bingham and Gabe Brown will step up and keep MSU in the Top 3 of the B10.

And I agree.i think Rocket Watts is going to be a star.

I also think Northwestern will surprise. I think Pete Nance will develop into a star and the Kopp kid is very tough. 

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Don't forget they have Joey Hauser coming in too. I think Marcus Bingham and Gabe Brown will step up and keep MSU in the Top 3 of the B10.

And I agree.i think Rocket Watts is going to be a star.

I also think Northwestern will surprise. I think Pete Nance will develop into a star and the Kopp kid is very tough. 

Good points.  It’s tough to bet against Izzo, especially down the stretch.  

I'll tell you another kid I think will eventually shine...Joe Toussaint...You could see the athleticism, intensity, and explosiveness last year...He made a lot of mistakes (read: turnovers), but if the game ever "slows down" for him and he can get his 3pt shot over 35%, watch out...

1. Wisconsin - maybe not the most talented but the best and deepest TEAM in the BIG....Ceiling 1. Floor 4.

2. Iowa - A lot to like about this squad. Garza will be NCAA player of the year. Biggest question - Defense and anyone in the front court besides Garza?? Nunge at 6”11 and can stretch the floor will provide solid back up minutes and Iowa Offense will override the troubles on Defensive side... Ceiling 1. Floor 5. 

3. Illinois - Best 1-2 punch In the League with Ayo & Cockburn.. Will need one or both of the freshmen guards to step up....Ceiling 1. Floor 5. 

4. Michigan State - Very well coached obviously. Big year coming for Rocket Wats who takes over the lead guard role from Winston after showing lots of promise last year. Aaron Henry takes the next step into All Big ten..Will need another guard to emerge...Ceiling 1. Floor 5.

5. Indiana - Archie Millers best team to date Although I think Romeos team could rival this one if 3/4 of the team didn’t get hurt that year. Look for TJD to stretch the floor more and average a double double this year. The brunkyard dog and the continued emergence of Race Thompson anchors one of the leagues best frontcourts. Two upperclassmen guards lead the way in the back court with Al and Rob. Is this the year Rob finally stays healthy and makes a leap in production? If so look out! Ultra talented 5 star Lander looks to provide solid help behind them/along side them. Just how much will he provide is the big and intriguing question. Then you have the do it all Franklin who has a great frame and competitive edge. Lots to like about him entering his sophomore campaign. Maybe the biggest question of them all. With Justin Smith gone who will emerge from the wing? With a full summer under his belt does Jerome Hunter look like the top 50 player he was before the injury? If so IU could likely Slid into the top 4.. lots to like about the squad! But lots of question to be answered. Really high ceiling... Ceiling 1. Floor 6. 

6. Rutgers - their 2 dynamic guards are back plus the arrival of top 50 big man.. it’s hard to play at Rutgers!!... Ceiling 3. Floor 8. 

7. Michigan - Livers is back with Wagner. Solid core group but huge losses with Teske and Simpson. I’m not sold on Howard as a coach....Ceiling 4. Floor 8.

8. Purdue - Interesting team. What can expect from Newman? I really liked him coming out of high school. Ivey will be a really good player but just a freshmen this year. Williams will be a force down low but can he play more extended minutes? Hunter JR will provide steady minutes at the guard spot. PU really needs Wheeler to turn the corner. More of a rebuilding year but could be really good next year...Ceiling 5. Floor 10.

9. Ohio State - A lot of unknowns here. Lots of roster turnover. Will be Holtmanns least talented team since he arrived at OSU... Ceiling 7. Floor 10.

10. Maryland - No more Sticks Smith and no more Bruno. Could place them ahead of OSU but I like Holtmann a lot more than Mark. He seems to need ultra talent at Maryland to be able to compete. Usually underperforms with the talented at Maryland....Ceiling 7. Floor 11.

11. Penn State - With Stevens and Watkins gone back to more of a reality for PSU. Sad that the couldn’t experience the tourney last year!...Ceiling 9. Floor 13.

12. Minnesota - Carr is about all they got. Pitino not a good coach... Ceiling 10. Floor 13.

13. Northwestern - After what looked like a program that Collins has turned around things have went backwards. They could be better than Minnesota and slid into the 12 spot...Ceiling 11. Floor 13.

14. Nebraska - Needs lots of work... Ceiling 13. Floor 14.

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

1. Wisconsin - maybe not the most talented but the best and deepest TEAM in the BIG....Ceiling 1. Floor 4.

2. Iowa - A lot to like about this squad. Garza will be NCAA player of the year. Biggest question - Defense and anyone in the front court besides Garza?? Nunge at 6”11 and can stretch the floor will provide solid back up minutes and Iowa Offense will override the troubles on Defensive side... Ceiling 1. Floor 5. 

3. Illinois - Best 1-2 punch In the League with Ayo & Cockburn.. Will need one or both of the freshmen guards to step up....Ceiling 1. Floor 5. 

4. Michigan State - Very well coached obviously. Big year coming for Rocket Wats who takes over the lead guard role from Winston after showing lots of promise last year. Aaron Henry takes the next step into All Big ten..Will need another guard to emerge...Ceiling 1. Floor 5.

5. Indiana - Archie Millers best team to date Although I think Romeos team could rival this one if 3/4 of the team didn’t get hurt that year. Look for TJD to stretch the floor more and average a double double this year. The brunkyard dog and the continued emergence of Race Thompson anchors one of the leagues best frontcourts. Two upperclassmen guards lead the way in the back court with Al and Rob. Is this the year Rob finally stays healthy and makes a leap in production? If so look out! Ultra talented 5 star Lander looks to provide solid help behind them/along side them. Just how much will he provide is the big and intriguing question. Then you have the do it all Franklin who has a great frame and competitive edge. Lots to like about him entering his sophomore campaign. Maybe the biggest question of them all. With Justin Smith gone who will emerge from the wing? With a full summer under his belt does Jerome Hunter look like the top 50 player he was before the injury? If so IU could likely Slid into the top 4.. lots to like about the squad! But lots of question to be answered. Really high ceiling... Ceiling 1. Floor 6. 

6. Rutgers - their 2 dynamic guards are back plus the arrival of top 50 big man.. it’s hard to play at Rutgers!!... Ceiling 3. Floor 8. 

7. Michigan - Livers is back with Wagner. Solid core group but huge losses with Teske and Simpson. I’m not sold on Howard as a coach....Ceiling 4. Floor 8.

8. Purdue - Interesting team. What can expect from Newman? I really liked him coming out of high school. Ivey will be a really good player but just a freshmen this year. Williams will be a force down low but can he play more extended minutes? Hunter JR will provide steady minutes at the guard spot. PU really needs Wheeler to turn the corner. More of a rebuilding year but could be really good next year...Ceiling 5. Floor 10.

9. Ohio State - A lot of unknowns here. Lots of roster turnover. Will be Holtmanns least talented team since he arrived at OSU... Ceiling 7. Floor 10.

10. Maryland - No more Sticks Smith and no more Bruno. Could place them ahead of OSU but I like Holtmann a lot more than Mark. He seems to need ultra talent at Maryland to be able to compete. Usually underperforms with the talented at Maryland....Ceiling 7. Floor 11.

11. Penn State - With Stevens and Watkins gone back to more of a reality for PSU. Sad that the couldn’t experience the tourney last year!...Ceiling 9. Floor 13.

12. Minnesota - Carr is about all they got. Pitino not a good coach... Ceiling 10. Floor 13.

13. Northwestern - After what looked like a program that Collins has turned around things have went backwards. They could be better than Minnesota and slid into the 12 spot...Ceiling 11. Floor 13.

14. Nebraska - Needs lots of work... Ceiling 13. Floor 14.

i see this a lot the same, except Christ I can't stand Wiscy and, on emotion, would push them down to 3 or so, you know, just because...

I have IU at 5 as well, but have UM at 6. Rutgers though will be right there, imo. They're downgraded on the name, but they're turning into a pretty solid squad. I don't trust Iowa's D, but they're very talented. 3 or 2, imo.

PU - who cares?

Archived