Memorable sports moments that you attended

jv1972iu

Saw IU drive down the field in the last two minutes in 1967 against Iowa.  Harry Gonso passes to Jade Butcher with seconds to go for winning td.  Of course, Iowa was horrible that year, but I didn't know that.  I only knew the Hoosiers weren't known for last second, come from behind football wins.  😁

1990 Indiana High School Basketball Championship game, where most of the 41,000 people in attendance were there because of Damon Bailey.  And, the young man lived up to the hype, putting his team on his back and scoring BNL's last 11 points to secure the victory.

image-asset.jpeg?format=500w

5 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Saw IU drive down the field in the last two minutes in 1967 against Iowa.  Harry Gonso passes to Jade Butcher with seconds to go for winning td.  Of course, Iowa was horrible that year, but I didn't know that.  I only knew the Hoosiers weren't known for last second, come from behind football wins.  😁

I was a student at the time. And went to every home game.  1967 was a magical season for our Hoosiers.  IU went 8-0 before losing their only game that season. Finishing the regular season 9-1.  Another thing I remember about that season... there was a popular song out at the time, called "Keep the Ball Rolling".  And there was a sign board on 37 heading North out of B-town. That had the words keep the ball rolling.  And the record got updated each and every Monday, after every victory.

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was in the stands when Ty Cobb got his first major league hit on August 30, 1905.   

That would have been three weeks after Cobb's mother killed his father.  I believe it was a double, if memory serves me.   😋  Rumor is that Amanda Cobb had a "thing" for you, which led to her husband's untimely death.    😳

Also was at the 1990 NCAA tournament at the RCA Dome and saw Purdue get beat in the second round to Texas.  After the game Keady went off on the refs and got fined because he thought his player was fouled on the last play but it was a clean block.  I was right behind the goal where the PU drove for the winning layup but it was blocked.

To me every year I went to the tournament was a memorable moment for me. I went in 89,90,93,96, 99 and 2003.

23 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Was at the KY Derby in 1977 for Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew.  Didn't actually see much, since I was sitting in the infield with friends, including my future wife.  😊

I love going to Churchill Downs.  But, for Derby, I prefer to watch it on tv.  Too many people.

22 hours ago, 5fouls said:

1990 Indiana High School Basketball Championship game, where most of the 41,000 people in attendance were there because of Damon Bailey.  And, the young man lived up to the hype, putting his team on his back and scoring BNL's last 11 points to secure the victory.

I was one of the 41,000 in attendance...Great game

12/7/1990. IU vs Niagara. My first ever game at Assembly Hall. I was 11. 

First ever MLB game. LAD in Cincy. Pete Rose a playing manager.  Summer of 1985.  I was 6. 

Attending every home playoff game including the World Series during the Rockies run through Rocktober in 2007. This includes the last regular season game that clinched a one-game playoff with the Padres. And that one-game playoff which the Rockies won in 13.  That was an amazing time.  

The Pinstripe Bowl in NYC  vs Duke and meeting my favorite IUFB player ever Antwaan Randle El completely at random as he entered the stadium with us common folk!

2005 AFC Championship at Mile High. Steelers beat the Broncos.  Wife is a big Steelers fan and we share a mutual disdain for the donkeys. 

While these games aren't the most high profile, they are all meaningful and memorable to me in their own right. 

I was 7. I sat in the nosebleeds with my dad and I loved it. Everyone in the building knew that shot was going in, my dad told me years later.. pretty cool. Reggie was a leader and that dude had BALLS. 

I was also at the Butler vs Duke NC game. Very cool. When there's one in Indy again... try and go. I bought mid level tix for 115 a piece off a WVU fan. Thought it was fair. 

I was 10 years old in Comiskey Park in 1969 and saw Walt "No Neck" Williams hit a single and the scoreboard exploded.  I told my Dad,  "There's something wrong with the scoreboard.  It only explodes for home runs."  As soon as the words fell out of my mouth the PA announcer tells us they exploded the scoreboard because man had just landed on the moon and they wanted to celebrate it.

Box score that day: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA196907201.shtml

Archived