Memorable sports moments that you attended

jv1972iu

I was 14 years old. The guy who coached my Pony League team rented a bus and took a bunch of kids up to see the UCLA-Notre Dame basketball game in 1972. I witnessed the game that ND won, breaking the Bruins’ 88 game winning streak. Wish I had kept my ticket stub and program, as I am sure that they would be worth something.

For @Stlboiler23 I sat behind future Purdue recruit Eugene Parker on the ride. Great guy!

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I was 14 years old. The guy who coached my Pony League team rented a bus and took a bunch of kids up to see the UCLA-Notre Dame basketball game in 1972. I witnessed the game that ND won, breaking the Bruins’ 88 game winning streak. Wish I had kept my ticket stub and program, as I am sure that they would be worth something.

For @Stlboiler23 I sat behind future Purdue recruit Eugene Parker on the ride. Great guy!

That's a great one!  Walton versus??? Who was ND's center?  John??

Mine's kinda weird...

Was at the 7th game of the 1982 World Series in St Louis when the Cardinals beat the Milwaukee Brewers 6-3...

Weird because I'm a Cubs fan...but, I was stationed in SW Illinois, and love baseball, so I had season tickets to my teams' arch rivals in 81 and 82...I still have a piece of Astroturf from old Busch Stadium

Laclede's Landing was wild that night...

Also almost saw Hank Aaron hit I think it was home run 712...went to a Braves-Reds game in Riverfront late in the 1973 season...Hank didn't start but he came up in the 9th as a pinch hitter and hit one off the CF wall that missed going out by a foot. They were giving certificates to anyone at the games he hit one in at the time, so we were bummed...

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mine's kinda weird...

Was at the 7th game of the 1982 World Series in St Louis when the Cardinals beat the Milwaukee Brewers 6-3...

Weird because I'm a Cubs fan...but, I was stationed in SW Illinois, and love baseball, so I had season tickets to my teams' arch rivals in 81 and 82...I still have a piece of Astroturf from old Busch Stadium

Also almost saw Hank Aaron hit I think it was home run 712...went to a Braves-Reds game in Riverfront late in the 1973 season...Hank didn't start but he came up in the 9th as a pinch hitter and hit one off the CF wall that missed going out by a foot. They were giving certificates to anyone at the games he hit one in at the time, so we were bummed...

Aaron's 3000th hit was a ground ball dribbler to center.  Then later he teed off on a Don Gullett fastball....HR for hit 3001.  Gullett was one of Henry's favorite pitchers.  He only had 26 AB's against Gullett, but hit like .462 with 7 HRs.

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mine's kinda weird...

Tommy Herr was my assistant basketball coach in high school. It would get us really hyped when in the pregame talk of a big game you’d looked over and see him sporting the ‘82 World Series ring. 

My top 3...

#3: Duke-UNLV Final Four game when Duke beat UNLV. 

#2: 2002 Derek Lowe no-hitter at Fenway Park. Was the first Red Sox no-hitter at Fenway since 1965. 

#1: I was on the scoring crew for this game and was literally sitting at the scorers table right where Pierce hit the shot. It was awesome! 

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Tommy Herr was my assistant basketball coach in high school. It would get us really hyped when in the pregame talk of a big game you’d looked over and see him sporting the ‘82 World Series ring. 

2nd date I had with my future wife in 1983 was to see the movie "48 Hours." Coming out, we saw Herr getting mobbed by some kids. He didn't seem too thrilled...

One of his claims to fame was knocking in 100+ runs while hitting less than 10 HRs...

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

2nd date I had with my future wife in 1983 was to see the movie "48 Hours." Coming out, we saw Herr getting mobbed by some kids. He didn't seem too thrilled...

One of his claims to fame was knocking in 100+ runs while hitting less than 10 HRs...

I loved him as a coach and he was really good to me, but yeah he had a rep around our town of being a little aloof, etc. 

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

For HSN there must be many.  One for me was being present to see Pete Rose break Cobb's hit record.  Also saw Hammerin' Henry Aaron get his 3000th hit at Crowley Field.  So, football, basketball, hockey, golf...whatever.  Have at it guys.

Was at the NCAA tournament in 96 when Princeton beat the defending champion in UCLA.  Was at game 3 of the Pacers best of 5 series against the Magic and that was the first time the Pacers won a playoff series winning 3-0.  Was at game 4 of a Pacers series against the Celtics and it was a best of 5.  The Pacers came back late and won game for to force a game 5 which the Pacers should have won but was not allowed to if you know what I mean LOL!

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I remember one year Herr has like 110 RBI's and only hit 9 HR

Just now, IUFLA said:

8 HRs...I mentioned it above...

I loved watching those Cardinals and baseball in general back then because it was not about hitting homeruns or walking.  I loved watching team who had a good running game and who used speed to their advantage.  You just don't have that today in baseball.  I saw where the Yankees have score like 77% of their runs on homeruns.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I loved watching those Cardinals and baseball in general back then because it was not about hitting homeruns or walking.  I loved watching team who had a good running game and who used speed to their advantage.  You just don't have that today in baseball.  I saw where the Yankees have score like 77% of their runs on homeruns.

They were a running team...over 200 SBs every year. And that was before Vince Coleman got there...but, yeah, if you loved baseball, they were fun to watch. Excellent defensive club too

April 9, 1993.  Colorado Rockies first home game in the old Mile High Stadium…. home to the Denver Broncos.  Demand for tickets was so great that additional temporary seats were added.  Over 80,000 fans in attendance. And to date.… the largest crowd to ever attend a MLB game.

Eric Young was the lead off hitter.  And all he did was put the ball out of the park.  Home Run !   And I shed a tear.  

Archived