IU Leading the Charge on NIL Rights

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/8/5/general-indiana-athletics-tabs-opendorse-ready-to-prepare-student-athletes-for-nil.aspx

Hey guys, haven’t posted much here in a while... Got a new job right before the shutdown this spring, and with everything getting cancelled and all the uncertainty, I just haven’t been able to get that hyped about anything sports-related recently.  (Not to mention the lack of activity on the recruiting front... If Kaufman doesn’t commit by the end of the week Archie is finished!!!)

But a buddy of mine sent me this article and I came here to check out what everyone thought, since this has been a hot topic on here.  Was surprised to see no thread about it yet.  Long story short, IU’s partnering with a company that will work with student athletes on endorsements and maximizing the value of their brands... Pretty strong statement from Dolson as one of his first actions as AD.  I know I’ve been critical of our “progressive” athletic department in the past, but it seems like that will pay off in this instance (literally).  Have to think this will be a big selling point on the virtual recruiting trail.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to get out in front of this or you fall behind. IU has the resources and marketing presence that it should absolutely leverage in assisting these young men as women earn from their likeness. You don’t want to be the school that is last to ask a girl to dance....if you do don’t be surprised if you get stuck with the “big” girl. I may not have liked the idea of all this but since the ship has sailed you either get aboard or be left behind...and lord knows we can’t afford to fall further behind the Dukes and UKs of the world. I’ve said this numerous times since it was announced..IU needs to establish a department for their athletics solely responsible for helping the players remain compliant yet assist them in maximizing their marketability. I mean you have the Kelly School of Business full of marketing and other business graduates that could assist the athletes in this endeavor...and so close to Indy...just seems like a huge advantage over other colleges that perhaps don’t have the same advantages in local, Size, expertise, and a whole state that is basketball obsessed and would support our players.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My question is can you already have something already setup for a player an offer this during the recruiting process. Do you have to wait once the players signed then setup the endorsement deal.

Good question.  I hadn’t considered that... would make a big difference in the sales pitch.

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/8/5/general-indiana-athletics-tabs-opendorse-ready-to-prepare-student-athletes-for-nil.aspx

Hey guys, haven’t posted much here in a while... Got a new job right before the shutdown this spring, and with everything getting cancelled and all the uncertainty, I just haven’t been able to get that hyped about anything sports-related recently.  (Not to mention the lack of activity on the recruiting front... If Kaufman doesn’t commit by the end of the week Archie is finished!!!)

But a buddy of mine sent me this article and I came here to check out what everyone thought, since this has been a hot topic on here.  Was surprised to see no thread about it yet.  Long story short, IU’s partnering with a company that will work with student athletes on endorsements and maximizing the value of their brands... Pretty strong statement from Dolson as one of his first actions as AD.  I know I’ve been critical of our “progressive” athletic department in the past, but it seems like that will pay off in this instance (literally).  Have to think this will be a big selling point on the virtual recruiting trail.

Just glad we are out in front of this and by all accounts leading the charge in the Big 10. Love it and I hope every kid makes as much as he/she can with their NIL. My only fear about the whole thing is the division it can create among teammates/friends when one is making much more than others.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just glad we are out in front of this and by all accounts leading the charge in the Big 10. Love it and I hope every kid makes as much as he/she can with their NIL. My only fear about the whole thing is the division it can create among teammates/friends when one is making much more than others.

Yeah that's a concern.  I'm sure Justin Smith would've been just fine with Romeo making 7 figures while he gets peanuts.  

I think it's brilliant.  I'm honestly not a huge fan of the NIL deal, but if those are the rules, then let's do everything within them to win. Maybe I'm just so IU focused, but I don't remember seeing anything like this with another school.  It's awesome if we're the first to announce something like this.  

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think the NCAA will put some kind of limit on how much a person can make and it won't be just a bidding war.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think the NCAA will put some kind of limit on how much a person can make and it won't be just a bidding war.

I doubt they'd get any traction attempting that kind of restraint of trade.  Either you are in or out.  Capping comp in that kind of setting will just get you sued.  Salary caps in the NBA are a whole different ballgame in that they are bargained for with the union and they have no dollar level restraint on endorsement deals that I'm aware of.

45 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I doubt they'd get any traction attempting that kind of restraint of trade.  Either you are in or out.  Capping comp in that kind of setting will just get you sued.  Salary caps in the NBA are a whole different ballgame in that they are bargained for with the union and they have no dollar level restraint on endorsement deals that I'm aware of.

I still don't see this as a total free market where a program can offer a player 500,000.

10 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

A program won't be able to offer them any money.

At this point, they should just do away with amateurism (like the Olympics) besides letting the schools pay the players themselves (since they're getting scholarships from them).

Would eliminate all the rules that are hard to police and apparently even harder to enforce. 

Seems absurd that the FBI has to waste time on this when there are real problems they could be dealing with. If all these archaic rules went away, they wouldn't have to and the NCAA could use it's time exclusively to run sports "leagues". Time to move college sports into the current day/age. 

It would be nice to see kids attending schools based on their preferences (coach, fandom, style of play, etc) instead of going to the highest bidder. I know all of the highest bidder stuff wouldn't go away, but if it is out in the open it would diminish IMO. The shoe companies would still have the largest say, but wealthy alumni could counter that to a degree.

I wonder if kids might stay in school longer if they're making good money and the overall game might improve.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know but I still think there is a limit on how much a player can make from endorsements

If there is a max.....it will take two seconds for certain coaching staffs, in order to land stars, to start helping put together endorsement guarantees that exceed the max.

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Good luck on the NCAA trying to enforce a cap if there is one.

What I am saying is that I don't see this being a biding war with a scenario.  Say the Koch's brother one of the wealthiest families in the country and a WSU boosters.   They go out and offers all of the top 10 players in the country 5million to promote their companies.  Then those players go to Mark Cuban to see if he can beat their offer and go to IU.  Those players go to Phil Knight to see if he can match those offers to go to Oregon.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What I am saying is that I don't see this being a biding war with a scenario.  Say the Koch's brother one of the wealthiest families in the country and a WSU boosters.   They go out and offers all of the top 10 players in the country 5million to promote their companies.  Then those players go to Mark Cuban to see if he can beat their offer and go to IU.  Those players go to Phil Knight to see if he can match those offers to go to Oregon.

Its called the free market and if a kid has that kind of purchasing power, good for them.  But guys like the Koch bother and Mark Cuban are not going to through that kind of money around. Otherwise they would be doing it now with pro athletes, which they are not.

It might change the recruiting landscape some, but kids still want to win and get the exposure to make the leap to the next stage where the real money is.  I think its the fringe one and done's that you will see trying to get paid through the NIL.

Just my opinion, what do i know, i live in the middle of an Iowa cornfield 

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Its called the free market and if a kid has that kind of purchasing power, good for them.  But guys like the Koch bother and Mark Cuban are not going to through that kind of money around. Otherwise they would be doing it now with pro athletes, which they are not.

It might change the recruiting landscape some, but kids still want to win and get the exposure to make the leap to the next stage where the real money is.  I think its the fringe one and done's that you will see trying to get paid through the NIL.

Just my opinion, what do i know, i live in the middle of an Iowa cornfield 

No one knows what will happen and it is just pure speculation but I just don't see a free market and will have a a maximum.  I think the NCAA could put a maximum and say if you go over the amount you will be ineligible to play.

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

At this point, they should just do away with amateurism (like the Olympics) besides letting the schools pay the players themselves (since they're getting scholarships from them).

Would eliminate all the rules that are hard to police and apparently even harder to enforce. 

Seems absurd that the FBI has to waste time on this when there are real problems they could be dealing with. If all these archaic rules went away, they wouldn't have to and the NCAA could use it's time exclusively to run sports "leagues". Time to move college sports into the current day/age. 

It would be nice to see kids attending schools based on their preferences (coach, fandom, style of play, etc) instead of going to the highest bidder. I know all of the highest bidder stuff wouldn't go away, but if it is out in the open it would diminish IMO. The shoe companies would still have the largest say, but wealthy alumni could counter that to a degree.

I wonder if kids might stay in school longer if they're making good money and the overall game might improve.

I've been saying the same thing for a while now. I was happy when the NCAA announced that they would allow players to earn money for NIL. I think it will keep more of the players that aren't certain 1st round picks in school rather than not getting drafted and having to go overseas.

I still don't see this as a total free market where a program can offer a player 500,000.

As others have said, a program can't offer the $$$.  Beyond that, I fail to see how the NCAA could enforce any 3rd party endorsement limits once Pandora's box is open.  They start tinkering with eligibility by instituting arbitrary limits, they'll be immediately sued and I don't see them winning that one.  Pure restraint of trade.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No one knows what will happen and it is just pure speculation but I just don't see a free market and will have a a maximum.  I think the NCAA could put a maximum and say if you go over the amount you will be ineligible to play.

Setting a maximum amount a player can receive from a sponsor will lead to lawsuits against the Ncaa.   The purpose of the California legislation that started this whole thing was to allow student athletes to earn what they are worth.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I suspect in 99% of the cases, a college player's image and persona isn't all that valuable to a company. Using someone's image is one thing, using him as a spokesperson is whole 'nother ball of wax.

Some companies will gladly pay some minor amount to support the players on a team, but coughing up $¼ mil or $½ mil to one kid, is highly unlikely, especially if the kid doesn't have a personality needed to "sell" something. Will there be exceptions? Sure, but I'd be surprised if it's prevalent (except for SEC football)

I know but I still think there is a limit on how much a player can make from endorsements

There is a limit. That limit is how many companies are what a player to endorse them and how much those companies are willing to pay. In other words, it's the players' market values.

Archived