IU Leading the Charge on NIL Rights

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DWB said:

I suspect in 99% of the cases, a college player's image and persona isn't all that valuable to a company. Using someone's image is one thing, using him as a spokesperson is whole 'nother ball of wax.

Some companies will gladly pay some minor amount to support the players on a team, but coughing up $¼ mil or $½ mil to one kid, is highly unlikely, especially if the kid doesn't have a personality needed to "sell" something. Will there be exceptions? Sure, but I'd be surprised if it's prevalent (except for SEC football)

This isn’t about kids making millions in most cases, but most of these kids can absolutely bring in thousands, if not 10’s of thousands a month in deals. Influencer marketing is a full-fledged industry on its own. Companies pay “yoga mom’s” with 50,000 Instagram followers a couple grand a month to be brand ambassadors.

Get 4-5 companies to do that and all of the sudden you’re making 6-figures and if your accounting is setup right it’s almost tax-free, all while having your room and board paid for. How many college kids are making six figures at 18 -20 years old with almost zero expenses? Play your cards right, make smart investments, and you’re in a fantastic position coming out of school. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This isn’t about kids making millions in most cases, but most of these kids can absolutely bring in thousands, if not 10’s of thousands a month in deals. Influencer marketing is a full-fledged industry on its own. Companies pay “yoga mom’s” with 50,000 Instagram followers a couple grand a month to be brand ambassadors.

Get 4-5 companies to do that and all of the sudden you’re making 6-figures and if your accounting is setup right it’s almost tax-free, all while having your room and board paid for. How many college kids are making six figures at 18 -20 years old with almost zero expenses? Play your cards right, make smart investments, and you’re in a fantastic position coming out of school. 

I guess if this is the kind of thing we are talking about then I might be more in favor of this.  If it is just making money off of social media like a YouTube page.  What I don't want to see is big companies who has alumni of a certain school trying to outbid for top kids.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess if this is the kind of thing we are talking about then I might be more in favor of this.  If it is just making money off of social media like a YouTube page.  What I don't want to see is big companies who has alumni of a certain school trying to outbid for top kids.

The top 1% will have those big sponsorship opportunities, I’d imagine. I just meant how the rest of the athletes could still really take advantage of this new process. 

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I do really apologize for my actions tonight because I don't know why I was such an a-hole tonight. I don't know if the stress f the last few months has caught up to me  but that is no excuse.

No apologize needed.  As most of Hoosier Sports Nation knows the trials you have gone through during this pandemic. Truly appreciate that you are still with us considering what you have gone through, and have shared with us.Just know you are a treasured member of HSN. and remain in my prayers for you. 

• 1 month later...

Archived