At What Point......

5fouls

26 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Juwan has the size, is athletic and is a great rebounder. The last 2 years he was plagued with nagging injuries. He's started to break out this year and if he continues an upward trend then there's definitely a chance. If he's 1st or 2nd team Big Ten, he will be getting interest from the pros....it's just a given these days.

I'm just saying that I do think this is something we'll be talking about by the end of the season. Maybe I'm being too literal about your OP, but saying there's 'no way' is a bit of a stretch....he's easily the best player on this team right now. 

This will be my last post on this topic because I don’t want to derail the thread anymore.  But of the players that made first and second team all-Big 10 last year, only one player left early for the NBA, and only one player was drafted.  That player was Caleb Swanigan.  Miles Bridges made the second team and also would’ve been drafted in the first round, but decided to stay for another year.  Making an all-conference first or second team, or being the best player on a college team, has no bearing on whether a player will get drafted.  I was being literal when I said there’s no way Juwan will be in the conversation for the draft after this season.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of talk in the thread about Archie being the right guy.  He may very well be.  But, circling back to the original premise of the thread, answer this.

In your opinion,. 10 years from now, what will Archie have to have accomplished to be unquestionably stamped as 'the right guy'?

My knee jerk answer in my head was a national championship.  But upon reflection, I see the depth of this question, and I believe it deserves more consideration than just winning a national championship as the answer to your query. So, upon deeper consideration, I am going to say..... a winning level on a consistent basis. Kind of like when Knight was in his heyday.  Most if not all IU fans, expected a winning season.  We knew we would be good. We knew we would be a top 10 team.  The only question going into a new season, was just how good we would be that year.   Yes.... winning.  On a consistent basis is my answer. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of talk in the thread about Archie being the right guy.  He may very well be.  But, circling back to the original premise of the thread, answer this.

In your opinion,. 10 years from now, what will Archie have to have accomplished to be unquestionably stamped as 'the right guy'?

At least one championship. I don't care much about FFs even if it's great to have. At the end of the day, it's the next banner. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

A national championship would definitely stamp him as the right guy, but I think making that the criteria is short sighted. 

I’ve posted this numerous times over the years, but I think it’s been a while, but for me what I’d like to see is a coach that makes IU a legit Big Ten Title contender consistently. I’ve always held strong that the tournament can be a crap-shoot, weird things can happen. But if IU is consistently, legitimately competing for Big Ten titles then that shows me a consistently contending program. That shows that you’re consistently ranked high, consistently competing for high seeds in the tournament, and most likely recruiting really well. 

With that said, if we win 4 Big Ten Titles over 10 years, finish second another 2-3 times and top 4 the remaining times yet don’t get past the Sweet Sixteen, or only have 1 Elite 8, then no I’m not saying the coach should get a pass. 

I just think that if we have a coach that can stay competitive at the very top of the Big Ten consistently, then all the other things we all want (Big Ten Titles, Final Fours, NCAA Title contention, etc.) will come. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Would you be happy if he had these results in 10 years:

0 NC's

1 NCAA Runner Up

2 FFs

1 EE

3 S16's

3 NCAA's - First weekend exits

3 B1G Titles - 2 of those shared

3 2nd place B1G

1 3rd place B1G

2 4th place B1G

1 5th place B1G

Average 26.5 wins per season

9 minutes ago, IUaic said:

0 NC's

1 NCAA Runner Up

2 FFs

1 EE

3 S16's

3 2nd place B1G

1 3rd place B1G

2 4th place B1G

1 5th place B1G

Just to clarify, is below what you mean?

0 National Titles

3 total Final Fours (1-2 in the Final Four round and 0-1 in the Title game)

1 Elite 8 in addition to the 3 Final Fours (so 4 Elite 8 appearances going 3-1)

I understood the rest. If the above is accurate, then in my opinion Archie can be our coach for a very long time. To me National Titles, Final Fours, etc., are about at-bats as a high seed, and that list tells me Archie can get us the necessary chances as a high seed to eventually hang a banner. It’s not guaranteed, but we’d be contending consistently. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My thing is that I am tired of the roller coaster rides since the mid nineties. When I watched the teams in the mid 80s to that point when I was a kid Indiana was almost always going to make the NCAA tourney. IU was competitive year in and year out. The times we missed the big dance at least we made the NIT finals (84-85 season). I'm tired of the recent trend of winning a big ten/sweet 16 run only to miss tourney next season etc.

Once Archie gets "his guys" I expect consistent NCAA tourney appearances. Constantly battling for BIG10 championships. Deep runs in the NCAA tourney every few seasons (final four caliber teams that have realistic shot at championship). No dramatically down seasons that Crean had where we are not even an NIT caliber team or are not competitive. Basically I want to feel we have a chance to win every night even if we aren't ranked in the top 10 that season. Bring in Indiana's top basketball talent. All of this while running a clean program with kids going to class/graduating.

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just to clarify, is below what you mean?

0 National Titles

3 total Final Fours (1-2 in the Final Four round and 0-1 in the Title game)

1 Elite 8 in addition to the 3 Final Fours (so 4 Elite 8 appearances going 3-1)

I understood the rest. If the above is accurate, then in my opinion Archie can be our coach for a very long time. To me National Titles, Final Fours, etc., are about at-bats as a high seed, and that list tells me Archie can get us the necessary chances as a high seed to eventually hang a banner. It’s not guaranteed, but we’d be contending consistently. 

Yes. That is how I meant it to be. Thank You

47 minutes ago, IUaic said:

0 NC's

1 NCAA Runner Up

2 FFs

1 EE

3 S16's

3 2nd place B1G

1 3rd place B1G

2 4th place B1G

1 5th place B1G

Yes.

That to me looks like we'd be legit title contenders in 5 of those years. Respectable in 4 years. And one mediocre year, but we still make the tournament. 

That actually looks like MSU-level success.

EDIT: Wait, are those MSU's result over the last 10 years? I just looked it up and they're very similar. If so, what's my prize? 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Yes.

That to me looks like we'd be legit title contenders in 5 of those years. Respectable in 4 years. And one mediocre year, but we still make the tournament. 

That actually looks like MSU-level success.

That is exactly who it was. I knew it had been 10+ since Izzo's National Title, but now going on 18 years.

I would absolutely be okay with Michigan State level of success.  And, what that clearly points out is that, despite our banners, if you put our last ten years next to theirs, IU is not anywhere close to being a program at the level where it is okay not to bring home championships.  

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

being competitive in the big ten every year and winning a few championships.  Also making a couple of final fours in that time frame and hopefully another banner.

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would absolutely be okay with Michigan State level of success.  And, what that clearly points out is that, despite our banners, if you put our last ten years next to theirs, IU is not anywhere close to being a program at the level where it is okay not to bring home championships.  

If the next 10 years is like UW and MSU the last 10 years I will be happy.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

God please...I never want to see my team play the style of ball Wisconsin plays.  I agree on level of success but that would be a painful 10 years to watch.

I really enjoyed watching the way UW played the last few years. They pretty much played the way RMK teams played for most of his time at IU.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I really enjoyed watching the way UW played the last few years. They pretty much played the way RMK teams played for most of his time at IU.

We're definitely seeing things through a different lens, but that's OK.  One of the more painful games I watched this year was part of the Wisconsin-Virginia game. That's just ugly to me. Lots of futility and too much fouling allowed. I just like a more free-flowing game. Don't get me wrong. I still like good defense. I just don't like the constant hand-checking I see in Wisconsin's defense and it ticks me off that they get away with so much of it.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We're definitely seeing things through a different lens, but that's OK.  One of the more painful games I watched this year was part of the Wisconsin-Virginia game. That's just ugly to me. Lots of futility and too much fouling allowed. I just like a more free-flowing game. Don't get me wrong. I still like good defense. I just don't like the constant hand-checking I see in Wisconsin's defense and it ticks me off that they get away with so much of it.

The Kaminsky-Dekker teams did not play they way. Those two years Bo Ryan released the hounds a bit, and they were actually able to get up and down much more than in years past. 

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes, this years team is not very good but I like watching teams work the ball for a good shot.  I get tired of watching teams run the dribble drive and no off the balls screens.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

RMK teams until the late 80's did RMK open up the offense. The last half of 81 he let Isiah loose but he did not do that for everyone.

IU was more offensively efficient than what some might think due RMK's "defense" mind set.  

Heck, if I can wait 30 years for IU football to beat OSU and Michigan in football, I can wait a few years for Archie to get things rolling with the basketball team. I like where I think we are heading in basketball. I think we got the right guy, and now we just need to sit back and enjoy watching our team steadily improve each year.

Archived