At What Point......

5fouls

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That’s exactly (worded better and more succinct) what I’ve been saying. The only difference is you’re saying we should fire the coach if the title doesn’t come in the first 10 years, I’m saying if we’re consistently one of the top teams in the country but the title hasn’t come yet I wouldn’t fire the coach. 

Read my comments again. Did I imply we should fire the coach with 2 FF in 10 years? All I wanted to say was championship should be the barometer of success at IU. If I were the AD, I wouldn't let go of my coach just because he didn't get me a championship, instead he got me 2 FF. But of course I wouldn't be happy because in the end success at IU can truly be defined by winning championships, not FF. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Read my comments again. Did I imply we should fire the coach with 2 FF in 10 years? All I wanted to say was championship should be the barometer of success at IU. If I were the AD, I wouldn't let go of my coach just because he didn't get me a championship, instead he got me 2 FF. But of course I wouldn't be happy because in the end success at IU can truly be defined by winning championships, not FF. 

Well then we’re pretty much saying the same thing. 

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

If IU reaches the MSU level of success mentioned in this thread, with guys like K, Williams, Boeheim and Izzo retiring, he would probably have what will be considered a top 5 coach.  If you have a top 5 coach, with our resources, you'll win titles.  

Interesting take and it got me to thinking.  When RMK got into the "biz", 3 legendary coaches were at the end of their careers.  Wooden, Iba, and Rupp.

38 minutes ago, rico said:

Interesting take and it got me to thinking.  When RMK got into the "biz", 3 legendary coaches were at the end of their careers.  Wooden, Iba, and Rupp.

Someone did a post during the coaching search about there always being like 10-12 or 11-13 active coaches with a title. So we're losing the guys I mentioned plus just lost Pitino; there's a lot of room for new coaches to emerge. In many respects, due to timing, Archie working out given his age could be the most significant thing to ever happen to IU basketball. 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Someone did a post during the coaching search about there always being like 10-12 or 11-13 active coaches with a title. So we're losing the guys I mentioned plus just lost Pitino; there's a lot of room for new coaches to emerge. In many respects, due to timing, Archie working out given his age could be the most significant thing to ever happen to IU basketball. 

There is absolutely a changing of the guard that's going to happen over the next 5-10 years with guys like K, Roy, Pitino, Boeheim, Izzo, Cal, etc. moving on/retiring. The question is who is going to be the next crop of great coaches. The hope as an IU is that we snagged one of the next great coaches ahead of the curve before those other schools had a chance to jump in. 

It's not a guarantee, but from what I've seen from Archie I'm hopeful and think he has a chance to be one of those next guys. 

52 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There is absolutely a changing of the guard that's going to happen over the next 5-10 years with guys like K, Roy, Pitino, Boeheim, Izzo, Cal, etc. moving on/retiring. The question is who is going to be the next crop of great coaches. The hope as an IU is that we snagged one of the next great coaches ahead of the curve before those other schools had a chance to jump in. 

It's not a guarantee, but from what I've seen from Archie I'm hopeful and think he has a chance to be one of those next guys. 

The bigger question I have is how many of those top tier programs will fall off the map.  Ala UNLV, DePaul, Okie St., etc.....But Archie and Holtmann are in successful situations.

1 minute ago, rico said:

The bigger question I have is how many of those top tier programs will fall off the map.  Ala UNLV, DePaul, Okie St., etc.....But Archie and Holtmann are in successful situations.

True. I don't think Carolina is ever going away. They may dip, but they'll always be a destination job. Duke will be interesting. Mike White is their AD's son, and I think White could be one of the next super stars, but will Coach K insist on "his guy"? I could see Duke falling back. 

The interesting one to me is Syracuse. I could see them fall back kind of how UConn has. I know Ollie won that title his first year, but those were Calhoun's guys, it was also a bit of a fluke run, and they've fallen off since. But I could see Syracuse struggle after Boeheim goes. I think MSU is another one. They'll always compete in the Big Ten, but I think when Izzo leaves they fall back to the pack. 

As far as the Big Ten, it really is prime time for Archie if he can figure out how to lock down the state (within reason, you'll never get them all). This is why my only main question is how well will he recruit. If he can plant his flag in the ground and pull in Langford, Brooks and TJD then wow, it will send a clear message that IU is back and Archie is here to stay. Not saying that's the only way for Archie to do it, but that would really send a message. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

True. I don't think Carolina is ever going away. They may dip, but they'll always be a destination job. Duke will be interesting. Mike White is their AD's son, and I think White could be one of the next super stars, but will Coach K insist on "his guy"? I could see Duke falling back. 

The interesting one to me is Syracuse. I could see them fall back kind of how UConn has. I know Ollie won that title his first year, but those were Calhoun's guys, it was also a bit of a fluke run, and they've fallen off since. But I could see Syracuse struggle after Boeheim goes. I think MSU is another one. They'll always compete in the Big Ten, but I think when Izzo leaves they fall back to the pack. 

As far as the Big Ten, it really is prime time for Archie if he can figure out how to lock down the state (within reason, you'll never get them all). This is why my only main question is how well will he recruit. If he can plant his flag in the ground and pull in Langford, Brooks and TJD then wow, it will send a clear message that IU is back and Archie is here to stay. Not saying that's the only way for Archie to do it, but that would really send a message. 

I always thought Ollie was going to be the next Mike Davis even after winning the championship.  He did well for a couple of years and now is having a lot of trouble.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I always thought Ollie was going to be the next Mike Davis even after winning the championship.  He did well for a couple of years and now is having a lot of trouble.

Even if it was a fluke, what a great honor to win a national championship. Most coaches don't even get to FF in their entire career.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It also hasn’t helped that every major conference ditched UConn. The AAC is sort of like the old Conference USA, not exactly mid-major, but not the big boys either. 

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

This is EXACTLY how I've viewed Ollie.

...with maybe a pinch of Bruce Weber added.

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

It also hasn’t helped that every major conference ditched UConn. The AAC is sort of like the old Conference USA, not exactly mid-major, but not the big boys either. 

A lot of that is UConn's fault.  They sat back and watched it unfold before their eyes.

Archived