Bruiser Flint leaving IU ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would not be surprised but the timing is a little off.  I don't think it would have to do with the flare up on the bench last year because that happens all the time.  Did UK lose a coach because it is odd that he would go there if they have a full coaching staff.  I am wondering if Archie is not happy that we have not been able to get any of the east coast guys that Flint was recruiting.  It will be hard to find a replacement in this pandemic and this late of a date.

IMO you don’t want someone to leave, but it’s inevitable to happen and you view it as an opportunity to improve, address some areas that are weaknesses, and bring in a renewed excitement and a fresh perspective, etc. 

I never worry much about assistants leaving. 

6 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Enter guyton.  Or moye as stated on the other thread.

Yep...Cheney, Guyton, Moye...lots of guys that could be a fit. I would like to see an African American hire..current climate in sports I think it is important to have that sort or voice speaking to the players and to reflect on our program and it’s inclusiveness. I know a bruiser has been around the game for a long time and is respected. Being a former coach himself I’m sure he did a lot on the bench and it seems like he had a lot of connections out East but none ever materialized. Someone closer to the team can say how impactful this would be.

UK losing Kenny will be a big loss for them. 

5 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Enter guyton.  Or moye as stated on the other thread.

Always good to hear from you.  I have no problem with Bruiser. But would love  to have  AAAAA Jaaay Moooyah.... on staff as a replacement, should  Bruiser choose to move on.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Would not be surprised but the timing is a little off.  I don't think it would have to do with the flare up on the bench last year because that happens all the time.  Did UK lose a coach because it is odd that he would go there if they have a full coaching staff.  I am wondering if Archie is not happy that we have not been able to get any of the east coast guys that Flint was recruiting.  It will be hard to find a replacement in this pandemic and this late of a date.

I heard him talk about that flare up and he didn’t seem concerned about it. 

If he does go, Jamal Meeks is also coaching now. He sounds like a guy that could connect with kids. 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks Jax.  Would not surprise me, especially after considering this :

Indiana's Miller, assistant Flint get in heated argument during cold spell

Wow...never knew it happened back then. It sure didn't look like a normal argue between coaches. People spitting fires at each other like that usually don't reconcile. What surprised me the most was Bruiser didn't seem to respect enough Archie as the head coach. 

Two guys I would love coming back to IU. Michael Lews... or Dane Fife.  Doubt it would happen, should Bruiser leave.

As far as Calbert Cheaney goes.  He kept getting promoted at IU.  Yet I doubt he will be back to IU after leaving the program to join Jim Crews at St. Louis.  I would love to have him back, however.  Tons he could add to the program.  All time B1G scoring leader.  NBA experience.  Really would be an asset to the program.  Did he leave IU, because he did not believe in Crean ?  As with Coach Knight, I would welcome Calbert back to IU.

I hope we get a good player development coach who is extremely strong on X’s and O’s   You can’t have enough super smart tacticians.  From a recruiting standpoint, I wouldn’t mind someone tuned into the state of Illinois.  It’s next door, and there is a lot of good talent.  Historically,  when we have been good, we had Illinois kids.  We aren’t far away from them so the sell isn’t as hard as, say, a kid from Philly.   When people think of Illinois you don’t have to think of Simeon or the whole corrupt Chicago public school system.  Illinois has big population elsewhere.  Catholic leagues.  The suburbs have huge population.  Peoria has cranked out talent historically.  There are kids from other spots, like Rockford, downstate, Springfield, etc.  IMO it’s a better use of our resources than trying to get into Philly or whatever.  I’m not saying you don’t try outside the region.  Love Geronimo and that league has some tough prospects.   Keep that alive.  But you can walk and chew gum at the same time and Illinois is an opportunity for us as history has shown us.  

You can always recruit a kid from literally anywhere in the world, and we should continue to do so (I’d love to see Archie look into the international market like his brother does) but heavily going after kids in nearby range is just a good sensible strategy.  

1 hour ago, iufaninand said:

Obviously the connection to Slimy Cal is deep and go back to UMASS. I thought his next move would be another head coaching job, but maybe he thinks the path is better from UK than IU

I’m guessing he’d be able to move up at UK. Ostrom has been with Archie for a while and likely won’t change until he moves on. I thought I saw that Payne is an associate head coach or something like that. 

21 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Wow...never knew it happened back then. It sure didn't look like a normal argue between coaches. People spitting fires at each other like that usually don't reconcile. What surprised me the most was Bruiser didn't seem to respect enough Archie as the head coach. 

As mentioned before, Bruiser talked about that and it was no big deal.  

Archived