Bruiser Flint leaving IU ?

9 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

So you thought he was going to say it was a big deal. Gimme a break. 

Anyone who thinks that an argument on a bench, which happens more than anyone thinks....would lead to him taking a job with one of his best friends (who helped him get the IU job) is looking to create a negative reason.  If there was a camera on every huddle, wvery bench the entire game for every team.....this forum will have more to discuss!

And, right now it is hypothetical that this change can happen.  Maybe it is true, I don't know.  But, I will tell you Cal is one of the reasons why Bruiser is at IU and Cal is one of his closest friends.  It makes sense, not an argument on the bench.  Bruiser could of left at anytime and with his background has opportunities across the country.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/7/2020 at 8:41 PM, BGleas said:

IMO you don’t want someone to leave, but it’s inevitable to happen and you view it as an opportunity to improve, address some areas that are weaknesses, and bring in a renewed excitement and a fresh perspective, etc. 

I never worry much about assistants leaving. 

Agree with this 100% and think Archie is smart enough to be honest about where IU might need to improve and bring in an assistant to help address those needs. I'm sure there are several qualified basketball people who would jump at the chance to work at IU.

I would put about zero stock in Bruiser’s potential departure as having anything to do with the argument seen on the sidelines. I think that was just two extremely passionate and fiery coaches working through a game. I think it’s just like when we saw JS tell TJD to “shut the f up”. Much ado about nothing, IMO.

2 minutes ago, madmax said:

I would put about zero stock in Bruiser’s potential departure as having anything to do with the argument seen on the sidelines. I think that was just two extremely passionate and fiery coaches working through a game. I think it’s just like when we saw JS tell TJD to “shut the f up”. Much ado about nothing, IMO.

I don't know why anyone would think that argument is a big deal because those things happen all the time.  I would bet you see a lot of that in practice r even film sessions.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know why anyone would think that argument is a big deal because those things happen all the time.  I would bet you see a lot of that in practice r even film sessions.

Yeah, I'm with ya...

I remember reading about when Woody Hayes was the head coach at Miami of Ohio during film sessions he had a habit of picking up the old 8mm projector and heaving it at an offending assistant...

He had an assistant named Schembechler that would throw it back...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I'm with ya...

I remember reading about when Woody Hayes was the head coach at Miami of Ohio during film sessions he had a habit of picking up the old 8mm projector and heaving it at an offending assistant...

He had an assistant named Schembechler that would throw it back...

Imagine the film sessions with RMK but i doubt any assistant coaches had the guts to question him.

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Imagine the film sessions with RMK but i doubt any assistant coaches had the guts to question him.

Thing with Knight is you have to be good cop to his bad cop. He is so hard on players your job is to pick them back up and build their confidence. Obviously the General was the tactician so recruiting and being a positive influence on the kids would be a big part of things.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

RMK had his moments, but Woody occupied the penthouse suite for psycho coaches...

They say he used to get so pissed, that he'd snatch his glasses off his face and crunch them in his hand, the glass cutting him all the while...

My other favorite story about him was when Woody and an assistant were coming back from a recruiting trip in Michigan. The assistant realized they were low on gas and asked Woody if they could stop to refuel. Woody, being Woody, responded with “We’ll coast and push this (expletive) car to the Ohio Line before I give this state a nickel of my money!”

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

RMK had his moments, but Woody occupied the penthouse suite for psycho coaches...

They say he used to get so pissed, that he'd snatch his glasses off his face and crunch them in his hand, the glass cutting him all the while...

My other favorite story about him was when Woody and an assistant were coming back from a recruiting trip in Michigan. The assistant realized they were low on gas and asked Woody if they could stop to refuel. Woody, being Woody, responded with “We’ll coast and push this (expletive) car to the Ohio Line before I give this state a nickel of my money!”

What is it about Ohio producing relentless aholes. Ulysses S Grant, William Sherman, Woody Hayes, Bob Knight, Lebron James, Bigfoot?

Can somebody with some knowledge confirm the hierarchy of assistants? 

From what I understand in order of importance we have:
1st chair: Ostrom
2nd chair: Flint
3rd chair: McRoberts

Before McRoberts was hired many were saying to go after Fife or Lewis, but to take a job at the third chair would be a demotion for them....so a pipe dream on our behalf. 

With Flint's position possibly opening up I see many calling for Guyton or Moye, but would they be considered under-qualified to fill that position? I feel that they would be more 'third chair' caliber guys. 

Thus, to fill Bruiser's position we generally should be looking at power five 2nd chair guys, or mid-major first chair guys at the very minimum? 

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Before McRoberts was hired many were saying to go after Fife or Lewis, but to take a job at the third chair would be a demotion for them....so a pipe dream on our behalf. 

With Flint's position possibly opening up I see many calling for Guyton or Moye, but would they be considered under-qualified to fill that position? I feel that they would be more 'third chair' caliber guys. 

Thus, to fill Bruiser's position we generally should be looking at power five 2nd chair guys, or mid-major first chair guys at the very minimum? 

Honest question...is that the way it works? Would Roberts not expect to ascend to the 2nd chair and have a newcomer go to the back of the line?

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Honest question...is that the way it works? Would Roberts not expect to ascend to the 2nd chair and have a newcomer go to the back of the line?

I'm not sure at all. That's why I'm asking. 

My hunch about Roberts is that he'd stay '3rd chair' (if that's the way it works). Maybe if Roberts has been in that position for a few years and has proved his value to the program, then he'd move up. Not a knock on Roberts at all....he just needs more time to prove himself. Realistically he's only been halfway through a recruiting cycle. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm not sure at all. That's why I'm asking. 

My hunch about Roberts is that he'd stay '3rd chair' (if that's the way it works). Maybe if Roberts has been in that position for a few years and has proved his value to the program, then he'd move up. Not a knock on Roberts at all....he just needs more time to prove himself. Realistically he's only been halfway through a recruiting cycle. 

Possibly...from a way outsider looking in I always thought Ostrom was the lead recruiter, Bruiser was the strategy guy, and Roberts was the big guy coach...loose descriptions, I know, as I'm sure all three are involved in recruiting, strategy, and practice coaching with individual players...

27 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I've often wondered how that works as well.   All 3 positions do a lot of the same tasks but each seem to have individual specialties.   Anyone know their salaries?   

Go Hoosiers!!!

I don't have the answers but my best guess is that you take a look at the whole program and see what duties are needed and what can be filled with the 2 you currently have on staff. Once you assess you go out and hire someone to fill in the gaps and be valuable in the areas that you already have covered. If you feel Roberts can do a lot of what BF did then he might move up but my guess is at this point you try to find someone with a lot of experience and an east coast guy maybe, No inside info on how it works just what i think and that is not saying much

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just my opinion but in my mind it would depend on what coaches are out there.  If the coach we bring in is more experienced than Roberts, then he slides into the number 2 chair, and if the assistant is less experienced, he'd go into the third chair under my scenario.  Since we just made a hire last year, and Archie really took his time, I would bet he has a very good handle on the landscape and who he could get.

As for AJ Moye, I'd love to get him in here, but my guess is he'd have to start as basketball ops type of guy first, learn and then move up at a school like IU.  

I also am not sure how guys like Comar and Walsh fit into this and what their aspirations are.  Comar might be fine being an administrator.  Archie sings his praises in that role and particularly his organizational ability.  Walsh might want to move up as an assistant.  I don't know what Archie would tell him if he applies.  If Archie thinks he's ready to move up (and he's still young), then that would be ideal for Moye to take Walsh's old spot.  Never mind that we have no idea if Moye would be interested lol. 

We don't know what's been said in private conversations.  Perhaps Archie told Walsh last year to hold tight that he would get the next spot.  If that's the case, maybe Walsh would move up and we'd have an ops slot for essentially a trainee like Moye.   Having said that, I wonder if Walsh needs more time in the oven before he's ready to be a full time assistant.

21 minutes ago, Sark said:

It’s heavily dependent on the head coach, but it’s generally not as regimented as “1st chair, 2nd chair, 3rd chair”. Coaches have practice, preparation (scouting, game plans) and recruiting responsibilities, but most staffs aren’t stacked vertically in such a precise manner. Edit: I’ve heard Ostrum is considered “first among equals”, but that’s more about longevity than anything else. 

Thanks, I was speaking generally though with terms I made up. haha. My bigger point is that if Bruiser is replaced, it's going to be with someone who is of his 'caliber', has his experience and can somewhat fill the holes his absence would leave us with. While I love AJ and Calbert I'm not sure they are quite on that level. 

19 hours ago, madmax said:

Quality post.  However on the other hand.  Things tend to fester in one's mind.  Not saying that is the case with Bruiser.  However... why would he consider leading IU ?

Thanks for being a member of Hoosier Sports Nation.  And stay safe during this pandemic.

Archived