Saturday provides Archie with an opportunity to .....

milehiiu

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think we'd have to win 12 games in conference to make the tourney with a loss.

Agree. It’s technically not must-win, but lose this game and making the tournament, or even the bubble, gets more and more unlikely. We’d have zero good out of conference wins, and have to really exceed expectations in conference.

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Too bad the Pacers will be travelling to Brooklyn for a game on Sunday.  Otherwise, Saturday would be a perfect opportunity to have Vic give a pre-game speech to the team about heart, work ethic, and leadership.  

What would be nice is if we could get Romeo on campus, and have him greeted by Victor, Gordon, OG, Yogi, Cody and Troy. 

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

What would be nice is if we could get Romeo on campus, and have him greeted by Victor, Gordon, OG, Yogi, Cody and Troy. 

I'm not sure meeting NBA players from IU would impress a kid who could play in the league next year if he were allowed. Archie and who he is going to play with means a lot more.

For those saying the game Saturday is a must win game... I don't see it that way, at all.  For me.... it is something much more significant than a win or loss game.  For me it is a career defining game for Coach Miller.  Much in the same way that the Sweet 16 game  against Syracuse was for Coach Crean.

Hear me out on this.

Coach Crean was vilified for years.... and basically defined by IU fans as a coach who couldn't figure it out.  He had no clue in the game how to break Syracuse's vaunted zone defense.  Despite the fact that he had plenty of time to prepare his team for that game.  And IMHO, IU fans were right to be critical of him for his failure to prepare. And that legacy never really left him.

Now... it's Coach Miller's time for a defining  career type game, IMHO.  He's got a whole week to prepare for Notre Dame.  And I honestly don't feel he has to win this game.  But he must send a  message, unlike Coach Crean, that he (Archie) knows how to prepare his team for a big game. After all, I think we all agree that Coach Miller is working with much less talent, than Coach Crean had against Syracuse.   And I have every reason to believe, win or lose, that Archie will set  in motion and in the mind's of IU fans that he was the right choice. 

In summary.  As far as I am concerned..... Coach Miller does not have to win this game.  Oh yeah, that would be nice.  However, more importantly, he has to prove to IU fans that he is the right coach for IU for years to come.  Something that Coach Crean, even after eight years, failed to to.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

I'm not sure meeting NBA players from IU would impress a kid who could play in the league next year if he were allowed. Archie and who he is going to play with means a lot more.

It might not, but it certainly won't hurt. I would think having and creating a culture of sending kids to the NBA on a regular basis is a big deal when trying to land 5* athletes. I know Archie didn't coach any of them, but to me, those guys represent IU being a big time program that sends kids to the NBA, and they're back giving their stamp of approval on their college experience.

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess I don't understand your post Mile.  Didn't Archie already do those things against Duke and UL?  We had plenty of chances to win and missed tons of wide open looks.   If we have a decent 3 point shooter on our team we probably win both.

Yep. 

17 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess I don't understand your post Mile.  Didn't Archie already do those things against Duke and UL?  We had plenty of chances to win and missed tons of wide open looks.   If we have a decent 3 point shooter on our team we probably win both.

Actually he did.  And he gets one more opportunity to build upon what he already did.  My post was more in reference to what this game means in terms of the fan bases thoughts in terms of the future, rather than just a win or loss on Saturday. For some, perception is reality.  And Archie has another opportunity, win or lose , to help cement  the perception in the fan base that he is a good coach.  I guess, part of this was set off by me, today.... when I read somewhere (don't recall where) when some one posted that Archie is nothing more than a mid major coach.   Oh, I do agree with you.... despite the talent.... Archie IMHO was responsible for getting us within striking distance of two superior teams. 

31 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Landing Romeo or not is going to be far more of a factor in the fans perception of Archie than some December game against ND.  Landing Romeo will call off the dogs for about 2 years.

Romeo could very well be to Archie, what Cody was to Crean.  Only problem is.... Crean had more time to recruit Cody, than Miller has with Romeo.

Still think that should Archie lay an egg on Saturday (which I doubt will happen), that, that will hurt him in terms of how fans perceive what kind of coach his is. 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Romeo could very well be to Archie, what Cody was to Crean.  Only problem is.... Crean had more time to recruit Cody, than Miller has with Romeo.

Still think that should Archie lay an egg on Saturday (which I doubt will happen), that, that will hurt him in terms of how fans perceive what kind of coach his is. 

Have Kansas and Vandy been recruiting Romeo any longer than Archie has?  UL was supposedly the leader all along before the recent scandal and I thought Duke was always a close second given that Romeo grew up a Duke fan.  Vandy wasn't even in the picture until Garland happened. 

8 hours ago, cohete15 said:

It’s because the college 3-point line is a foot deeper than HS. That pushes it a touch out of his range. 

I wasn't being serious but I am curious why he can't shoot a lick in college.  He's a grown man now.  One more foot shouldn't make a difference by now.  He never shoots the ball outside of a layup.  Who knows, maybe he can still stroke it but never does because he's playing the big man role when he comes in. 

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I wasn't being serious but I am curious why he can't shoot a lick in college.  He's a grown man now.  One more foot shouldn't make a difference by now.  He never shoots the ball outside of a layup.  Who knows, maybe he can still stroke it but never does because he's playing the big man role when he comes in. 

I was joking too. 

Archived