Saturday provides Archie with an opportunity to .....

milehiiu

I have been thinking about this thread for a day. This game means nothing to Archie except its just another game the team needs to improve in. Is he feeling pressure to win, no. He took over a crap team that had no idea how to play basketball. We all knew that coming in to the season. We watched it all of last season. The only tournament this team might get into is the NIT. To say any game this season does something for or against Archie in a meaningful way is just crazy talk frankly. IU basketball didn't become a dumpster fire over night and its not going to get fixed over night. Can you imagine watching Crean coach this team with no shooters? Hartman wouldn't be here. RoJo. CuJo, Green and Newkirk going 8 for 40 from 3 every night. Boy that would be fun to watch. Do I want us to win every game, you bet. Do I get pissed when we lose? Only when we give games away like UofL, or come out like we could care less. I hope we beat a good ND team saturday but if we don't, it means anything to Archie and his time here. For me this game is just another game closer to this senior class being gone.

^^ It's too bad he hasn't found consistency, the criticisms that go to that are clearly fair. He is, however, a good shooter (37% from the arc last season on 189 shots, and 45% FGs, 45% his frosh season though on just 36 shots). He's shooting at 30% this year, well below his average. Doesn't mean he isn't a good shooter, it means he's shooting below average. Do hope he finds his stroke, and confidence that underlies it, the team needs him to.

Also agree with the mindset that this game is not a signature game for CAM. It's a chance to get a W. I never like the idea that a single game, let alone a single game early in a season, is a statement game for a coach or his ability as a coach. In fairness, Crean had multiple games where, on preparation, the team got big W's (Kentucky, MSU, KU, etc. etc.) but it ultimately meant little with regard to his future as IU's coach, because he was unable to win consistently and take the team past the SW16.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Can you imagine watching Crean coach this team with no shooters?

Man I thought about this many times. Crean, on his way out, was probably sad and angry to certain degrees and may have thought he was treated unfairly. But at the end of the day, Glass did him a favor so Crean didn't have to go through that.

5 hours ago, Reacher said:

Rob is due for a breakout shooting game.

I've been pretty critical of RoJo dating back to the second half of last season, but I think he has a chance for a breakout game Saturday. RoJo is struggling with his shot and also hasn't been able to get to the rim against some longer, more athletic teams. Notre Dame is certainly a great challenge and a very good, skilled team, but I wouldn't call them overly athletics, big, or long. If I was Archie, I'd be urging RoJo to be aggressive going to the basket early, since ND doesn't have a great shot blocker in the middle. Get some easy baskets, feel good about the ball going in, and potentially get to the foul line and see some shots drop from there. Then, work your way out to the perimeter. 

Notre Dame is a really good, tough team, but just saying the matchup might be right for RoJo to build some confidence. 

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

A much better matchup for us than UL.  Also at a neutral site.  Still ESPN gives us a 19% chance and I don't disagree.  We have a chance if RJ comes out of his funk but just a small one.

We need to guard the perimeter.  Let Colson have his share, shut the rest down.

Archived