Jaquez Smith Commits to Indiana

KDB

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is fun. Tom Allen's recruiting has been excellent. Goodness if this class could have been 22-24 recruits, could have been been a top 20 class. 

With only a few spots left, I hope we are real selective. I want to see us put all our focus swinging for the fences for a couple more guys like McCulley and Smith.

For being a small class, it already has great depth. I don’t know if we have any reaches yet. We can afford being selective, and if we don't hit, maybe take a reach or two in January/February.

If we add Smith, we'll be substantially higher in average rating than we've ever been.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

With only a few spots left, I hope we are real selective. I want to see us put all our focus swinging for the fences for a couple more guys like McCulley and Smith.

For being a small class, it already has great depth. I don’t know if we have any reaches yet. We can afford being selective, and if we don't hit, maybe take a reach or two in January/February.

If we add Smith, we'll be substantially higher in average rating than we've ever been.

MJ Daniels and Robert Jackson are two guys that stick out. Do we know a lot about Jackson's recruitment? 

4 minutes ago, Sark said:

I suppose but, as I said, it would be tough. Very, very tough.

ok lol you guys are really splitting hairs here. 

Boiler you said it could have been 25th but 20th would be just WAY too hard. It's really not that big of a deal to me and I really didn't say it would be easy. Go flip some people.

36 minutes ago, Sark said:

This class will, at a minimum, end up being at least 20 recruits. It would get to the top 20 bit it could certainly be top 40.

Does your number 20 include grad transfers? This is the first I've heard that we can take 20 FR. I don't ever look at scholly numbers for football though. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

ok lol you guys are really splitting hairs here. 

Boiler you said it could have been 25th but 20th would be just WAY too hard. It's really not that big of a deal to me and I really didn't say it would be easy. Go flip some people.

I think it just shows how hard it is to land a top 20 class unfortunately. The class we landed both GK and Bell, we were right at 25. I think it was 5th in the conference but top 20 is tough. Idk if Tiller even got a top 20 class and he had some good ones. 

1 minute ago, Sark said:

There’s a normal attrition in virtually every program that assures the recruiting need will be greater than simply replacing the projected number of departing seniors. This year will be no different and will likely be greater due to Covid. There are already transfer rumors plus it’s highly likely both Smith and Jones get evaluated and depart early.

Depart early? Cooper and Jaquez? 

I understand people transfer. You didn't really answer the question. 

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

Scott and Jones, for sure, plus there are a couple of others who will very likely choose to be evaluated. There are also rumors that a few kids are exploring preseason transfers. Class size, once it all shakes out, will be 20-22.

What do you mean choose to be evaluated? I don't understand. 

They choose to be evaluated by and then what happens? 

9 minutes ago, Sark said:

Eligible players can submit paperwork and be evaluated by the NFL. A number of players, with help from the coaches, submit the necessary documentation for this at the conclusion of every season. No one is obligated by the evaluation (either the player or the NFL), and eligibility for the balance of a player’s college career is not impacted.

Are you talking about when they're juniors in college? Why would Cooper and Jaquez submit paperwork now? and how could that effect IU in a negative way?

You literally have REALLY good information... if you would just elaborate more often, it would GREATLY help these conversations. I am being a tick hypocritical here because I should explain myself better sometimes, but man, you make it hard to follow at times because it's like we have to pry answers out of you. 

I am not trying to sound rude in any sort of way. I am saying this to make convos go smoother later on. I hope I did a decent job in explaining myself. 

The thing I’m most focused on is average rating.  I think that’s more meaningful.  Regardless we can all agree that Allen’s recruiting has been remarkable.  I always use the word vision with him, but I love the way he recruits.  To round this off, I wouldn’t mind a pass rusher, an interior offensive lineman, an athletic tight end who can get down the seam, and maybe a LB but regardless I love this class. But, I have to admit I haven’t had as good of a handle on our targets as in years past.  

48 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@The Daily Hoosier can you confirm any sort of number for the class? 

I don't have the bandwidth to track that with precision, but I've always been under the impression that they will take a class in 15-16 range.  Now who the hell knows what happens to numbers if there is no spring season and all of the seniors get to come back and play again in 2021.  I have to believe there is some negative recruiting going on with that.  "Hey Jaquez, Philyor and Fryfogle will be back next year and you will have to sit out."

10 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I don't have the bandwidth to track that with precision, but I've always been under the impression that they will take a class in 15-16 range.  Now who the hell knows what happens to numbers if there is no spring season and all of the seniors get to come back and play again in 2021.  I have to believe there is some negative recruiting going on with that.  "Hey Jaquez, Philyor and Fryfogle will be back next year and you will have to sit out."

I don't think at top 200 recruit will shy away from that, but I do understand your point, for sure. 

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The thing I’m most focused on is average rating.  I think that’s more meaningful.  Regardless we can all agree that Allen’s recruiting has been remarkable.  I always use the word vision with him, but I love the way he recruits.  To round this off, I wouldn’t mind a pass rusher, an interior offensive lineman, an athletic tight end who can get down the seam, and maybe a LB but regardless I love this class. But, I have to admit I haven’t had as good of a handle on our targets as in years past.  

I think we already have that TE in Steinfeldt (spelling)... 1B on a very good baseball team as a SO, 11p 7r on a good basketball team, and was split out as a WR a lot in his highlights. 

My hope would be that seniors who don’t go pro be allowed an extra year of eligibility even if it’s a sixth year if someone redshirted.  It’d basically be an allowance for pausing a senior’s career. To go along with that, I’d hope for an accommodation for a certain number of extra scholarships because of the logjam.  Maybe they could do it evenly over, say, two years to normalize for schools with different circumstances.  Regardless of how it’s structured, I hope they try to do something.   

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My hope would be that seniors who don’t go pro be allowed an extra year of eligibility even if it’s a sixth year if someone redshirted.  It’d basically be an allowance for pausing a senior’s career. To go along with that, I’d hope for an accommodation for a certain number of extra scholarships because of the logjam.  Maybe they could do it evenly over, say, two years to normalize for schools with different circumstances.  Regardless of how it’s structured, I hope they try to do something.   

They will. They did all that with the spring. Going to make for some interestingly big baseball rosters, but so be it. haha 

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I would assume they would get another year of eligibility since they did for spring sports

Archived