Big Ten cancelling fall football...

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am still thinking we are going to lose this season which stinks, we look to have a pretty good team. 

Thanks Crazy.  My son told me this morning, this was going to happen. 

Move it to Spring.  Colorado moved prep FB to Spring.  And will allow kids to participate in multiple sports at the same time

DANGED PANDEMIS  !

Stay safe Crazy.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't. Football has so many players, and there have already been major outbreaks in football. Bball, with its much smaller roster and ability to manage the virus, is different. We'll see.

This is what I'm hoping for. On Inside The Hall they were talking about a possible bubble for the basketball players....that'd sure be interesting. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised either way.  

The reality is that, if the approach would continue to be that one positive tests shuts down a program, then there is no way they could play.  Every team is going to have positive tests throughout the season.  You would end up with some teams playing 7 or 8 games, and others playing 2-3 based on how the infections hit the schedule.  

There just does not seem to me much sense in continuing with that kind of environment.  

1 minute ago, Sark said:

It’s why basketball won’t be a go, either, unless some sort of immunity is achieved.

The thing that basketball has going for it is that it is easier to make up games.  You could play on 1-2 days rest, or get in 4 games a week if necessary to get in makeup games.

10 minutes ago, Sark said:

. This will be a bloodbath financially.

On the subject of financial impacts.  I'm assuming TV and Radio networks have leverage for breach of contract against the schools/conferences if there are no games played.  You know that all the major networks, as well as conference affiliated networks such as the BTN, would rather the teams play in empty stadiums as opposed to not at all.  Games that are broadcast,  whether there are fans or not, still generate advertising revenue.   

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

On the subject of financial impacts.  I'm assuming TV and Radio networks have leverage for breach of contract against the schools/conferences if there are no games played.  You know that all the major networks, as well as conference affiliated networks such as the BTN, would rather the teams play in empty stadiums as opposed to not at all.  Games that are broadcast,  whether there are fans or not, still generate advertising revenue.   

The conferences should have put into their contracts an impossibility clause.  It should cover a pandemic.  I haven't seen it discussed in the press.  

I actually was involved in something for an event later in the year but that was negotiated in January.  In the impossibility clause, I specifically inserted epidemic and pandemic.  This was before I could have imagined a lock down.  Anyway, we wanted to cancel the event and the other side relented because of the impossibility clause.  It should be a no-brainer that the conferences have something like that.

Unforntately once classes are in full swing, you''re going to see basketball players test positive.  They won't be able to stay away from parties, gathering or just eating in the cafeteria. Once one test positive it will spread.  Kids are kids.  They want to be social and touch and are pretty much disgusting.  We are going to see a huge upswing in cases in the next month or 2 as kids go back to all levels of school.  Maybe it doesn't matter and a 3% chance of death is acceptable for most people, but we don't even know the long term effects of this virus on human bodies.

I can't imagine a year without college football or basketball.  It would be so boring but i also don't want to see this thing get out of hand and hundreds of thousands or millions of people start dying because we want to rush back to normal

This is just my opinion, what do i know, i live in a cornfield in Iowa

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Unforntately once classes are in full swing, you''re going to see basketball players test positive.  They won't be able to stay away from parties, gathering or just eating in the cafeteria. Once one test positive it will spread.  Kids are kids.  They want to be social and touch and are pretty much disgusting.  We are going to see a huge upswing in cases in the next month or 2 as kids go back to all levels of school.  Maybe it doesn't matter and a 3% chance of death is acceptable for most people, but we don't even know the long term effects of this virus on human bodies.

I can't imagine a year without college football or basketball.  It would be so boring but i also don't want to see this thing get out of hand and hundreds of thousands or millions of people start dying because we want to rush back to normal

This is just my opinion, what do i know, i live in a cornfield in Iowa

Some of the best corn comes from Iowa.  And you are one of the best Hoosier Sports Nation contributors.   Thanks for being a member.  Eat tons of corn. Which I have been doing this season.  And stay safe.

Cash in on the health benefits of corn - Mayo Clinic Health System

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Some of the best corn comes from Iowa.  And you are one of the best Hoosier Sports Nation contributors.   Thanks for being a member.  Eat tons of corn. Which I have been doing this season.  And stay safe.

Cash in on the health benefits of corn - Mayo Clinic Health System

Thanks Mile, i love coming here.  Even if i don't always agree with everyone, its a great place to get great IU information

27 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Thanks Mile, i love coming here.  Even if i don't always agree with everyone, its a great place to get great IU information

Can say that I have not always agreed with you either.  However, I do appreciate all you contribute to Hoosier Sports Nation.  And happy to have you as a member. Continue to come and contributing.  HSN is all about diversity... thanks to our great moderators.  

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I just saw this a day or two ago and thought it was interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/07/college-sports-embraced-reckless-greed-with-coronavirus-crisis-bill-has-come-due/

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The thing that basketball has going for it is that it is easier to make up games.  You could play on 1-2 days rest, or get in 4 games a week if necessary to get in makeup games.

Well in these pre season tournies they play 3 days in a row so it can be done.  In the old high tournaments they played two games in a day so I think college players could handle it.

17 minutes ago, morganmonroe said:

For once, a Washington Post article that contains a lot I can agree with.

Ironic that it's in billionaire Jeff Bezos' paper when a lot of Amazon employees are reciting some similar complaints to what college athletes have.

Pretty solid first year on the job for Warren. Another brilliant move by Delaney. Haha. Seriously though. Almost every single coach in the Big 10 has come out today saying the kids need football, would be safer for them, keeping them in schedules/routines,etc...I really hope the Big 10 pauses their thoughts and evaluates in 2 weeks. What's the harm in collecting more and more data? If it's a conference only season we have plenty of time to make a decision by 8/24. Why does it need to be done today?

Warren is getting beat up routinely nationally right now. Not sure how he earns back any respect of players/coaches  after this. The school Presidents like him because he's taking the bullets in public but coaches, players,etc....?? Not a good start for him. 

Archived