Big Ten cancelling fall football...

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

But not as bad as it has has been the last month or so. Terrible leadership is definitely one of the causes, but at a national level. You can't blame athletic directors for this mess. 

If we shut down the whole country for a month the entire economy goes into the crapper.  Then everyone blames you know who because of that.  There's no good solution here.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

If we shut down the whole country for a month the entire economy goes into the crapper.  Then everyone blames you know who because of that.  There's no good solution here.

This could have been calmed way earlier if the entire country actually was shut down for a month, it wasn't and now it's going to last a year. 

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

So why open dorms and have in person classes?  Why is that not a liability to the Presidents opening campuses all over the country?    If the long term ramifications and liability is the factor why are they ignoring the health of students, professors and others on campus?

Go Hoosiers!!!

I don't think they should open the campus

39 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

At the very least, there needs to be an open forum with the players in which the information being used to make decisions that drastically impact their futures is out in the open. 

I am not normally a litigious type, but I hope that the seniors, especially those who were considered borderline pro talent and were counting on this season to show more, form a consortium and sue the socks off the B1G.

I would think they will give them another year of eligibility.

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I got out of the house last Friday.  For like the fourth time since the pandemic hit. Yearly scheduled eye exam.  Seriously thought about cancelling. But went anyway.  Was told on appointment confirmation call the day before to wear a mask.  And had my temp tested, in the entrance before even entering the Doc's office.Sign's up on all the doors that Denver mandate is to wear masks... or no entrance.  All office personnel wearing masks.  Including the Doc.

Oh.... By the way.  I got an A+ on my exam.  Thanks to cataract surgery, years back.   Doc said everything looked great. And finished by saying : "See you next year". Music to my ears.  And I replied... hope no need to wear these stupid masks next time .

And now. Back to our regularly scheduled thread about B1G football.

Also at my doctors you can't wait in the waiting room but you call them when you get there.  They will call you when they are ready for you and you go into the side door.

23 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This could have been calmed way earlier if the entire country actually was shut down for a month, it wasn't and now it's going to last a year. 

Who here thinks that ALL Americans can go a month without going to the grocery store, have no one working in hospitals, pharmacies, delivery drivers, truckers, who keeps the power on? Who puts out fires and arrests looters, who works at the bank so your card transactions post, who works at the nursing home. Who makes all the damn masks for crying out loud! Thing is....you can argue almost everyone is an essential worker...because everything is interconnected. You can’t shut down the entire US and not have an effect...then it would take months if not years to get everything back on line production wise....crops all rot...food not made and delivered to stores etc. You protect the vulnerable and you take every precaution you can and you work through it. Some hard hit areas you do have to shut down most things but this isn’t something that disappears...even if no one in America had it then what happens with all the people that travel and come back...then we start all over. Some things you just have to tough it out...if you can bunker down...more power to you...rest of us will put food on the table for you, make sure your bills get processed and paid, fill your meds, make your hand sanitizer, and transport everything to the stores and even your front door step for you. Sorry some of us can’t stay home. Maybe you should thank us instead of denigrate those keeping things going.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Who here thinks that ALL Americans can go a month without going to the grocery store, have no one working in hospitals, pharmacies, delivery drivers, truckers, who keeps the power on? Who puts out fires and arrests looters, who works at the bank so your card transactions post, who works at the nursing home. Who makes all the damn masks for crying out loud! Thing is....you can argue almost everyone is an essential worker...because everything is interconnected. You can’t shut down the entire US and not have an effect...then it would take months if not years to get everything back on line production wise....crops all rot...food not made and delivered to stores etc. You protect the vulnerable and you take every precaution you can and you work through it. Some hard hit areas you do have to shut down most things but this isn’t something that disappears...even if no one in America had it then what happens with all the people that travel and come back...then we start all over. Some things you just have to tough it out...if you can bunker down...more power to you...rest of us will put food on the table for you, make sure your bills get processed and paid, fill your meds, make your hand sanitizer, and transport everything to the stores and even your front door step for you. Sorry some of us can’t stay home. Maybe you should thank us instead of denigrate those keeping things going.

You would have people like doctors, nurses, cops and firefighters working and find away for people go to the groceries without people going into the store. Have everyone shop online.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You would have people like doctors, nurses, cops and firefighters working and find away for people go to the groceries without people going into the store. Have everyone shop online.

Is The internet just going to shit food at you? People still have to farm it, people have to process it, people have to deliver it to the stores, people have to stock it, people have to bring it to you!! You live in your bunker, stop telling the rest of us we are selfish for living life.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Is The internet just going to shit food at you? People still have to farm it, people have to process it, people have to deliver it to the stores, people have to stock it, people have to bring it to you!! You live in your bunker, stop telling the rest of us we are selfish for living life.

Well if you don't want to live like that and not willing to do it then stop complaining that there is not a season in football.  The main reason that there will be no football is that the virus is still here and has not slowed down.  It would have  slowed down a lot if people would have  been better at listening to people in the beginning.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well if you don't want to live like that and not willing to do it then stop complaining that there is not a season in football.  The main reason that there will be no football is that the virus is still here and has not slowed down.  It would have  slowed down a lot if people would have  been better at listening to people in the beginning.

Can i get your crystal ball Dr.Scott.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No Scott, the main reason there will be no football is because there are a group of presidents sitting behind their desks who think that they know better than the young men who put their bodies on the line every day, as to what is best. The presidents are hiding behind the concept that covid has too many unknowns, when in reality they are scared to death that a young man might die or suffer long lasting health issues (even though all the statistics @btownqb has shown otherwise). 

Next time one of these guys touts that the function of their institution is to turn young adults into responsible citizens capable of making decisions for their future, I’ll remind them of how they have taken that ability away from these athletes who have no power to control their own destinies 

Who works in warehouses to ship the stuff. Who delivers it to the store. Who farms it and takes it to market. Who picks it. Who processes the transactions...who who who...it takes lots of people to do all that no matter what. Sure I would love to have people all wearing a mask from the start and being careful but shutting down the economy isn’t the answer. It’s people taking responsibility. I agree I wish people would take better precautions like you but most of us have to still work to keep the lights on for you and me and risking our health and our families to keep things running for others who can hide out in their home. I come home strip off all my clothes to wash them and take a shower before picking up my 18 month old who is saying daddy daddy. It might not look like I’m being responsible going out in all this but it’s the exact opposite. It takes a lot of people to keep this machine working called America. 

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No Scott, the main reason there will be no football is because there are a group of presidents sitting behind their desks who think that they know better than the young men who put their bodies on the line every day, as to what is best. The presidents are hiding behind the concept that covid has too many unknowns, when in reality they are scared to death that a young man might die or suffer long lasting health issues (even though all the statistics @btownqb has shown otherwise). 

Next time one of these guys touts that the function of their institution is to turn young adults into responsible citizens capable of making decisions for their future, I’ll remind them of how they have taken that ability away from these athletes who have no power to control their own destinies 

This..  wonderful post.  

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What wrong is worrying about those things and the reason they have to worry is that the virus is still going strong.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Who works in warehouses to ship the stuff. Who delivers it to the store. Who farms it and takes it to market. Who picks it. Who processes the transactions...who who who...it takes lots of people to do all that no matter what. Sure I would love to have people all wearing a mask from the start and being careful but shutting down the economy isn’t the answer. It’s people taking responsibility. I agree I wish people would take better precautions like you but most of us have to still work to keep the lights on for you and me and risking our health and our families to keep things running for others who can hide out in their home. I come home strip off all my clothes to wash them and take a shower before picking up my 18 month old who is saying daddy daddy. It might not look like I’m being responsible going out in all this but it’s the exact opposite. It takes a lot of people to keep this machine working called America. 

At least all employees who could work from home should have been able to.  Also a lot of companies who are not considered essential stayed open and did not let their workers work from home should be held accountable.

Sorry you all..think I’ll take a break. Some reason I’ve been on edge a lot lately. Hope I didn’t offend anyone. I care about you all and you all are good people. Even when I disagree I don’t want to hurt people...thinking maybe I’m taking things a little to far. I apologize.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Sorry you all..think I’ll take a break. Some reason I’ve been on edge a lot lately. Hope I didn’t offend anyone. I care about you all and you all are good people. Even when I disagree I don’t want to hurt people...thinking maybe I’m taking things a little to far. I apologize.

I have been the same way because these last 4 months has been hard on everyone.  If you can't come here and vent with your friends then who can you.  This is a great message board and we can disagree but that doesn't mean we don't respect each other.

Even if people would have started wearing their mask at stores in March and April it would have helped or were you like these guys who refused to wear a mask.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article244876262.html

Since you think you know everything. My mother is in my living room in a hospice bed dying. I have left the house 6 times since March 13th. if i bring covid in my house it will kill her. I was fortunate enough to caddy on the PGA Tour for 25 years and retired so i dont need to leave the house. I drive Uber in Bloomington for fun and to get out of the house.... Every nurse or friend that comes in my home wears a mask, glooves, googles and a face shield. My mom looked at me the other day and said you all had better go out because you are dying a slow death like me. I agree, as soon as i find someone to play golf i'm going. With that being said, people have to live the life they have!!

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Can you imagine no production of any kind for a month?  With our JIT method of production, which means nothing is stored in wharehouses, it would be a catastrophe of biblical proportions.

Just now, Indykev said:

Since you think you know everything. My mother is in my living room in a hospice bed dying. I have left the house 6 times since March 13th. if i bring covid in my house it will kill her. I was fortunate enough to caddy on the PGA Tour for 25 years and retired so i dont need to leave the house. I drive Uber in Bloomington for fun and to get out of the house.... Every nurse or friend that comes in my home wears a mask, glooves, googles and a face shield. My mom looked at me the other day and said you all had better go out because you are dying a slow death like me. I agree, as soon as i find someone to play golf i'm going. With that being said, people have to live the life they have!!

So sorry to hear that and I am sorry you have to go through that.  I did not really mean to make it personal toward you because that wasn't what I meant to do.  I know what it is like to be stuck inside for a long time because I was sick for over a month.  I haven't played golf for 5 years but would love to play some but have nobody to play with.  My elderly parents live with me and at first it upset me that when I went out that people was not paying attention to the rules.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My problem is that I have to much time on my hands and spend to much of it online.  I am on LInkedIN or indeed a lot and I am on here as well and all I see is bad news.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

I work in food processing, we get orders with delivery usually expected 3 days from production, nothing is stored in any capacity that could sustain a month of no production. And a whole host of other issues that would have to be dealt with. 

I estimate it would take at least a year to return to normal.  And the prices when product hits empty shelves. Weimar republic prices. 

I dont get annoyed by much but this idea is very shortsighted and this isn't the only place I've seen it floated around. 

If you want to know how people would act just look what people do when free food shows up at work. 

Archived