Big Ten cancelling fall football...

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can argue several things that would question the certainty of who the initial carrier was.  Yes.  a line can be drawn from point A to point B in this instance.  But, there are an infinite number of intersecting line possibilities that the story does not consider. 

Yep with so many cases here in the US it would be hard.  As cases decline I'd think it more possible though.  Which if the Presidents are scared of lawsuits now then sports may be doomed.

Just curious have there ever been lawsuits in the past with players or workers who maybe got a virus and died or had issues later?   I mean I get suing for food poisoning or asbestos and the like but we are talking about a virus that we have very little control over.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see now some players are upset about not being involved in the decision making process and all I have to say is get use to it.  I was not even aware that my company was even looking to sell out my department.  On Monday we came in and was notified that another company was talking our department over and we would meet with their HR department  later that morning.  So I was going to have to make a career change even when I was not looking to do so.  Even after signing an agreement with this new company to accept a position that did not even guarantee me a position when I came back from the virus.  I do feel bad for these players but they will learn nothing is guaranteed and will have to learn to go through adversity.

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can argue several things that would question the certainty of who the initial carrier was.  Yes.  a line can be drawn from point A to point B in this instance.  But, there are an infinite number of intersecting line possibilities that the story does not consider. 

I'm not sure if are aware or not, but civil lawsuits don't require the same standard of proof as a criminal lawsuit. It would never have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a civil suit that it came from there for a judgement to be awarded to the plantiff. 

40 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Yep with so many cases here in the US it would be hard.  As cases decline I'd think it more possible though.  Which if the Presidents are scared of lawsuits now then sports may be doomed.

Just curious have there ever been lawsuits in the past with players or workers who maybe got a virus and died or had issues later?   I mean I get suing for food poisoning or asbestos and the like but we are talking about a virus that we have very little control over.

Go Hoosiers!!!

We would have more control over the virus if we listened to experts and not the misinformation being widely spread. It isn't rocket science, it's just regular science and we should listen to the experts...

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

We would have more control over the virus if we listened to experts and not the misinformation being widely spread. It isn't rocket science, it's just regular science and we should listen to the experts...

I don’t want to go into it again but which experts are you talking about? The ones that told us masks weren’t necessary and then they are. That it does not like warm weather and go away like the flu in the summer to return in the fall, the ones that say it survived on surfaces for 2-3 days, the ones that said a few hours, the ones that said hydrocloriquine doesn’t work, can work, children rarely can get it, can, pets can’t, now can, I could go on an on my friend. Considering the size of the virus and millions on millions can fit on a pin head and most people are just wearing simple cloth masks...are they even stopping it??! Sure it may limit it some but really...is it stopping it altogether? I mean I wear it I do my part but do I really trust it...yeah not really. Problem is every doctor, virologist is out there saying they are an expert on each different news channel and they all go against each other...how can you trust any of them...especially when so many have an agenda.

Also virus’s mutate and change...it’s a moving target. Laws of physics remain pretty constant. Rocket science imo is easier.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't disagree except the experts have made mistakes from the beginning.  Like masks aren't needed but then they are(and yes I wear my IU mask when I'm out).  Or there's the latest study done by the University of Florida that show virus particles traveling 16ft instead of the 6ft that the CDC has beat in our heads.  I had the feeling along that was too close and that's why I don't dine inside.

This virus is like no other and the experts are learning as they go which is understandable.  As for me I'll continue following the guidelines but honestly I'm convinced it's only a matter of time before I get it(although I may have had it and not known).  

Go Hoosiers!!!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29648672/ncaa-division-council-recommends-eligibility-extensions-due-coronavirus-pandemic

Voting on giving players another year of eligibility.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29646765/buckeyes-ryan-day-wants-spring-college-football-season-start-early-january

Ryan Day wants season to start in January and finish in April right before the draft.  Would wonder how the ratings would go in March between football and the NCAA tournament.  I know what I would be watching and that will be basketball.  I think this could hurt both sports especially the ones who is known as a football or basketball school.  I would hate to see how  much this could hurt attendance for basketball in the SEC.  I know we don't have a huge crowd for football already but this could hurt it more.  Also our fans won't sit out in 30 degree weather so what will they do in February

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

This virus is like no other and the experts are learning as they go which is understandable. 

This sentence is so key and this is exactly what happens in science. We are seeing it unfold in real time which is not something we are used to, especially if you don't pay close attention to it. We have a propensity in society to point out when science contradicts itself but that is exactly the point; when we get new info we update our conclusions. 

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah - and that is only go to climb. I'll be shocked if the number doesn't double or triple. Are you okay with .1% of people you know being dead? Do you want to tell me which people you don't mind dying?

You shouldn't be shocked if the number doubles or triples. Statistically falls in line with past pandemics.  Am I fine with .1% of people I know dying?  It is inevitable. My Aunt Debbie is on oxygen after spending 50 yrs smoking cigarettes and is vulnerable.

I held my dad's hand as he died of a heart at attack at 45 yrs old.  I have experienced death.

To answer your question, am I OK with .1% of people I know being dead, the answer is yes, already experienced it.

p.s. I spent alot of time and money to get a B.S  in Biology.  Not saying I'm some sort of expert but it isn't easy. 

Apparently Nebraska is still looking to play...with or without the B10...

Before the Big Ten Conference postponed the fall sports schedule on Tuesday, Frost told reporters Monday that the school would look at all options if the inevitable happened.

“We're a proud member of the Big Ten. We want to play a Big Ten schedule. I think the only reason we would look at any other options is if, for some reason, the Big Ten wasn't playing and only a handful of teams from the Big Ten wanted to continue playing. I think if that's the case, I think we're prepared to look at any and all options,” Frost said, according to ESPN.

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Apparently Nebraska is still looking to play...with or without the B10...

Before the Big Ten Conference postponed the fall sports schedule on Tuesday, Frost told reporters Monday that the school would look at all options if the inevitable happened.

“We're a proud member of the Big Ten. We want to play a Big Ten schedule. I think the only reason we would look at any other options is if, for some reason, the Big Ten wasn't playing and only a handful of teams from the Big Ten wanted to continue playing. I think if that's the case, I think we're prepared to look at any and all options,” Frost said, according to ESPN.

Saw somewhere, maybe it was here, that the Big threatened to kick them out of the conference if they do that. Assuming we have a firm spring plan in place, I think that would have to happen. The big ten is playing spring football this year, you either do that or find a new conference. 

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

You shouldn't be shocked if the number doubles or triples. Statistically falls in line with past pandemics.  Am I fine with .1% of people I know dying?  It is inevitable. My Aunt Debbie is on oxygen after spending 50 yrs smoking cigarettes and is vulnerable.

I held my dad's hand as he died of a heart at attack at 45 yrs old.  I have experienced death.

To answer your question, am I OK with .1% of people I know being dead, the answer is yes, already experienced it.

p.s. I spent alot of time and money to get a B.S  in Biology.  Not saying I'm some sort of expert but it isn't easy. 

It isn't inevitable. Our per capita death numbers are among the worst in the world, it's because we aren't handling this well. Threads like this demonstrate very clearly why we are struggling a lot more with this than most countries. 

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It isn't inevitable. Our per capita death numbers are among the worst in the world, it's because we aren't handling this well. Threads like this demonstrate very clearly why we are struggling a lot more with this than most countries. 

How are we supposed to handle it?

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

How are we supposed to handle it?

We should have listened to the experts like other countries did; they managed to mitigate damage, we did not. It's really not that complicated. The distrust of scientists from a sizable portion of our country has done irreparable harm to America and this is just the latest example. 

We need to do better, but our total deaths per million are not that out of line with many European countries - Belgium, UK, Sweden, Spain, Italy, France...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

To be honest, only a few places have really handled it well. 

We are a large country with significant cultural and socioeconomic diversity and independent minded people - these are all bad things for handling a pandemic, but I think they are good for a country. 

31 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

We need to do better, but our total deaths per million are not that out of line with many European countries - Belgium, UK, Sweden, Spain, Italy, France...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

To be honest, only a few places have really handled it well. 

We are a large country with significant cultural and socioeconomic diversity and independent minded people - these are all bad things for handling a pandemic, but I think they are good for a country. 

We are the 8th worst in the entire world and our numbers are still climbing rapidly. Many of the countries you called out have really flattened out as far as that goes. 

12 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

If the conferences play and just one player gets sick and dies, whether he caught it from being involved with the sport or not, that conference is going to get hammered.  Statistically they should be fine and I agree with everyone saying stuff happens, but that is not the media environment we are in.  You have a 300 lbs black linemen die from COVID in the SEC (chose that specific example because weight appears to be a factor and the disease seems to disproportionately be impacting African Americans) and you will have everyone from ESPN to BLM all over that school for taking advantage of poor kids to line their pockets.

The schools are kind of in a lose/lose position.

On another note, Nebraska should be told to shut up or leave the conference.  They added little value since their addition.  Small TV market and their b-ball and football team (in particular) have been really mediocre.  

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

We are the 8th worst in the entire world and our numbers are still climbing rapidly. Many of the countries you called out have really flattened out as far as that goes. 

I am not defending our nation's response, I am saying this is a delicate discussion and there many factors (which is always true in public policy debates).

For example, risk factors for severity reads like a "what is wrong with us health": https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fneed-extra-precautions%2Fgroups-at-higher-risk.html

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
  • Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)
  • Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus

Experts did not all agree on what would be the optimal response (EVEN NOW) - and most states did follow expert advice (even if there was a lot of political noise). 

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I see where Nebraska didn't like people talking about them getting kicked out of the B1G and have backpedaled lol

I had not seen the backpedal...but yeah, from my post above, they got a golden ticket to the most wealthy conference in the country.  If they want to leave for a year to go be Texas's b**** again, I would tell them to not come back.

Archived