Big Ten cancelling fall football...

10 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I think there is also a "snob" factor as well. I do not think that the presidents of places like IU, OSU, UM, Minn, Wisc etc. (i.e. "international" caliber schools) want to be associated with schools that they consider "regional."

I am not knocking UC, by the way - I mean Armstrong taught there... just a perception question.

Good point about the snob favor lol...SEC can’t complain who joins them lol.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Good point Scott! Obviously money makers take precedence since they pay for those other sports but it is a good reason..and like others said...prestige/academics too.

It would be a lot easier this year to do a bubble if the conferences were not so spread out.  I don't see any conference being able to do a bubble like the NBA with everyone in one location.  So if you have to have a few spots it would be easier if you didn't have teams on the east coast.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It would be a lot easier this year to do a bubble if the conferences were not so spread out.  I don't see any conference being able to do a bubble like the NBA with everyone in one location.  So if you have to have a few spots it would be easier if you didn't have teams on the east coast.

I don’t think the B1G and others were considering a once in a century pandemic when considering who to add to the conference...just $$$.

55 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Personally, I wish that Missouri had not joined the SEC 2012. IF we HAD to add teams (which TV people said we did at the time), I think they would have made some sense.

ADDED:

Honestly, assuming the AAU requirement, there are (were) only a handful of possible options: https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

• Most can be ruled out for sports reason, e.g., Brandeis, Harvard, Rutgers 😄
  • Of the remaining, many can be ruled out because they were not interested, e.g., Texas, UNC
  • Or real crazy distance, e.g. AU, UCLA, Oregon
  • Or do not expand the footprint (i.e. insufficient population), e.g., Iowa St., Pitt
  • From my perusal, that left maybe Georgia Tech, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri - and no options now

What about Virginia?  Syracuse?

The big problem is that the North East (New York/Massachusetts/New Jersey area) that you want from a TV perspective, does not offer many worthwhile football programs.  I think that is how they settled on Rutgers.  College football is almost non existent in New England.

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I also wonder if schools like Cincinnati weren’t considered because say Ohio St wouldn’t accept them? Regionality and all. Same with Pitt and Penn St. Pitt really makes a lot of sense.

All schools in the B1G, with the exception of Nebraska, are AAU schools, whose stated objective is to " promote strong programs in academic research and scholarship, and undergraduate, graduate, and professional education." The emphasis is on schools with exemplary research capabilities.

Neither Cincinnati or Louisville are AAU schools, and may be, for that reason alone, were not considered. Both Pitt and Missouri are AAU accredited institutions.

25 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The big problem is that the North East (New York/Massachusetts/New Jersey area) that you want from a TV perspective, does not offer many worthwhile football programs.  I think that is how they settled on Rutgers.  College football is almost non existent in New England.

In my opinion, if UVA wanted to join, they would be a member already. 

I did not see Syracuse on the AAU list. If they are, it is just oversight on my behalf. 

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

All schools in the B1G, with the exception of Nebraska, are AAU schools, whose stated objective is to " promote strong programs in academic research and scholarship, and undergraduate, graduate, and professional education." The emphasis is on schools with exemplary research capabilities.

Neither Cincinnati or Louisville are AAU schools, and may be, for that reason alone, were not considered. Both Pitt and Missouri are AAU accredited institutions.

Ok...Nebraska...so clearly we are willing to sell out our standards for the right amount...so yeah that should open the door for other non AAU schools. You are either principled or your not...there is no almost.

Ok...Nebraska...so clearly we are willing to sell out our standards for the right amount...so yeah that should open the door for other non AAU schools. You are either principled or your not...there is no almost.

They were AAU when they joined. They got kicked out shortly thereafter. 

29 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Boston College I would think is. Maybe Temple too for Philly. University of Virginia though isn’t exactly in a huge media market...although yes fits the academic premise and is pretty representative in both sports.

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It isn't inevitable. Our per capita death numbers are among the worst in the world, it's because we aren't handling this well. Threads like this demonstrate very clearly why we are struggling a lot more with this than most countries. 

I'm putting you back on ignore. I should have known better than to take you off.  There are obvious political overtones in many of your posts recently and I'm frankly sick of seeing them.  If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at China for deliberately exporting this crap globally.  

This crap looks like it comes straight off CNN.  Come on, mods...surely I'm not the only one noticing this?

Just now, dgambill said:

Boston College I would think is. Maybe Temple too for Philly. University of Virginia though isn’t exactly in a huge media market...although yes fits the academic premise and is pretty representative in both sports.

don't need Temple when Penn St is a member. They have alumni all over the North East. Boston U is, but Boston college is not an AAU member

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

don't need Temple when Penn St is a member. They have alumni all over the North East. Boston U is, but Boston college is not an AAU member

I do not think Temple is either. The AAU is a hard bar to jump. I think even schools like Virginia Tech are not in it (and they are a good school) - and they might be good fit otherwise.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

UVA gets the D.C. market (like Maryland does) so that is where they would come in on that.

I kind of figured that the Philly and Pittsburgh markets are already covered by Penn State.

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

UVA gets the D.C. market (like Maryland does) so that is where they would come in on that.

I kind of figured that the Philly and Pittsburgh markets are already covered by Penn State.

I think PSU thoroughly covers all of PA, EXCEPT Philly and Pitt... I do not think they dominate the market in the two cities... To be honest, I do not think Philly is a college sports town.

23 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I think PSU thoroughly covers all of PA, EXCEPT Philly and Pitt... I do not think they dominate the market in the two cities... To be honest, I do not think Philly is a college sports town.

Yeah...kind of like Boston....You look at the list of AAU schools and the three that jump out for B1G is Pitt and Virginia and Kansas. All in interesting markets but obviously well entrenched in their conferences.

Yeah...kind of like Boston....You look at the list of AAU schools and the three that jump out for B1G is Pitt and Virginia and Kansas. All in interesting markets but obviously well entrenched in their conferences.

and PSU and Pitt have bad blood from the '80s and I am pretty sure UVA thinks they are too "genteel" to join the B1G... so we resolved it, Kansas will be the next conference member 😁!

42 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

So Pittsburgh and Philadelphia don't get the BTN?  I would think there are still PSU grads in those cities that would push for that.  That is really the main thing, not like Rutgers probably has a bunch of people in New York, but they have enough to get BTN in the New York market.

Also edit, this post sounds way more snarky than I was intending while typing it, please do not take it that way.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So Pittsburgh and Philadelphia don't get the BTN?  I would think there are still PSU grads in those cities that would push for that.  That is really the main thing, not like Rutgers probably has a bunch of people in New York, but they have enough to get BTN in the Nee York market.

I would assume they do! I just meant if you drive the rest of PA you see PSU flags everywhere... but in terms of fan percentage, I do not think they dominate the cities.

It is kind of like Cincinnati and OSU... as soon as you get 50 feet out of the city, there is an OSU flag on every corner. But in Cincinnati, you see everything... including a lot of IU hats. 

And given the choices the B1G makes, BTN subscriptions is everything... so in that sense PSU is sufficient.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Ahh the NCAA showing again they zero authority over any sport.  I don't know why any conference or school ever listens to them or takes anything they say legitimately 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm putting you back on ignore. I should have known better than to take you off.  There are obvious political overtones in many of your posts recently and I'm frankly sick of seeing them.  If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at China for deliberately exporting this crap globally.  

This crap looks like it comes straight off CNN.  Come on, mods...surely I'm not the only one noticing this?

Your post is far more political than his.

Have a great friend. Who lives in Arizona now. Served with me in the Army during the Viet Nam Conflict.  And graduated from the University of Virginia, the same year, I graduated from IU.  And said all the guys attended UVA FB games at that time,  wearing a suit and tie.  

Does not mean a thing.  Just thought I would throw that out there.

Archived