Big Ten cancelling fall football...

5 minutes ago, Sark said:

Plenty of PSU alums and fans in Pittsburgh and Philly, but Pitt would fit nicely. KU isn’t leaving the B12, especially since their state legislature would like pit pressure on them to not uncouple them and KSU. It’s why OU isn’t very mobile, either, since the Oklahoma lawmakers would insist that OSU be a part of any move.

The legislature thing makes sense. If I recall correctly, this is similar to how Virginia Tech wound up in the ACC (VA legislature pressure). I forget which school was temporarily not included... maybe BC or 'Cuse.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Your post is far more political than his.

You're welcome to your opinion.  I don't agree but rest assured, if I don't see it, I won't respond.  I held back the first 4-5 times but I finally got my fill.  Enough.  Let's talk IU sports and leave opinions about this country's response to the virus in the corona virus thread.  At least I can avoid it there.

36 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Ahh the NCAA showing again they zero authority over any sport.  I don't know why any conference or school ever listens to them or takes anything they say legitimately 

Well it sounds like for football the conference runs it more than the NCAA where for basketball the NCAA runs it especially the post season.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're welcome to your opinion.  I don't agree but rest assured, if I don't see it, I won't respond.  I held back the first 4-5 times but I finally got my fill.  Enough.  Let's talk IU sports and leave opinions about this country's response to the virus in the corona virus thread.  At least I can avoid it there.

Not taking any sides, except to agree that this thread is not where we need to discuss the country/world response to covid.

This thread is to discuss its impact on sports, period.

This means everybody. 

The covid debate is already dicey for this board. We can't moderate it when it bleeds into multiple threads.

Let’s be real...it’s in the best interest of the conference that two of its most storied programs return to consistent national relevance again. IU in basketball would be a huge boom for ratings and prestige for B1G to have that other prominent program (along with MSU) in the national spotlight. It brings recruiting, media dollars, and much more to the conference. Same goes for Nebraska. It would make the B1G West a true rival for the B1G championship to go along with Wisconsin to rival Ohio St. It brings media recognition for the conference into the deep Midwest and Texas markets...that helps recruiting of all B1G teams just like OSU with Myers dipping back into his Florida base recruiting helped bring more prominence for kids to travel to other B1G programs...it certainly helped us. We want our flagship programs to be strong. When PSU was down it did not help the B1G. Sure it might help IU to get a win but you want a strong conference...rising water lifts all boats...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29663042/ohio-state-iowa-football-parents-speak-outraged-big-ten-unfortunate-decision-postpone-season

Look at this quote from a pompous OSU parent

"Similar to players having the opportunity to opt out if they choose, we feel like our teams should have that opportunity," Miller said. "We're at a different level of Rutgers and Maryland. I don't mean that to sound pompous, it's just true. Our guys want to play. They want to play and they should have the opportunity to play if they want. They shouldn't be subjected to this vote, yes or no. Well, if you guys don't want to play, opt out. Opt your team out. Let the six teams that want to play, play."

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29663042/ohio-state-iowa-football-parents-speak-outraged-big-ten-unfortunate-decision-postpone-season

Look at this quote from a pompous OSU parent

"Similar to players having the opportunity to opt out if they choose, we feel like our teams should have that opportunity," Miller said. "We're at a different level of Rutgers and Maryland. I don't mean that to sound pompous, it's just true. Our guys want to play. They want to play and they should have the opportunity to play if they want. They shouldn't be subjected to this vote, yes or no. Well, if you guys don't want to play, opt out. Opt your team out. Let the six teams that want to play, play."

I don’t really find it pompous. Should the parent have named specific schools? Probably not. But the reality is that OSU was a legit National Title contender this season, their guys have more to lose than say Rutgers, Maryland, even Indiana. They were certainly expecting to be in the playoff, and potentially win the entire thing. 

I’m sure it hurts a bit more for those guys, especially when you see Alabama, Clemson, Florida, LSU, etc. still planning on playing. 

Im sure if this was basketball and IU was coming into the season as a legit title contender that we would feel a bit differently about it than say fans of Northwestern. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don’t really find it pompous. Should the parent have named specific schools? Probably not. But the reality is that OSU was a legit National Title contender this season, their guys have more to lose than say Rutgers, Maryland, even Indiana. They were certainly expecting to be in the playoff, and potentially win the entire thing. 

I’m sure it hurts a bit more for those guys, especially when you see Alabama, Clemson, Florida, LSU, etc. still planning on playing. 

Im sure if this was basketball and IU was coming into the season as a legit title contender that we would feel a bit differently about it than say fans of Northwestern. 

I still don't think those conferences will end up playing in the fall as well.  It appears that some ACC teams has had some problems with testing and players not wanting to practice.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still don't think those conferences will end up playing in the fall as well.  It appears that some ACC teams has had some problems with testing and players not wanting to practice.

I don’t think they will either, but as of now they are. I don’t see the point in playing since the NCAA said they won’t have Fall Championships. Would it then just be the ACC, SEC and Big 12 hosting their own faux championship? I guess that could be the beginning of the Big 5 splitting from the NCAA. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I don’t think they will either, but as of now they are. I don’t see the point in playing since the NCAA said they won’t have Fall Championships. Would it then just be the ACC, SEC and Big 12 hosting their own faux championship? I guess that could be the beginning of the Big 5 splitting from the NCAA. 

If the fall sports plays in the spring it will be a very busy season for athletic departments.  Also I just don't see football being able to play in the spring.  If I was a player and you have like a 6-8 game schedule would you want to use a year of eligibility to play in that schedule.  Also the players who are going into the draft will not play so playing in the spring is not a god idea.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Let football split away but I don't want basketball to split if it means that the tournament as we know is gone.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If the fall sports plays in the spring it will be a very busy season for athletic departments.  Also I just don't see football being able to play in the spring.  If I was a player and you have like a 6-8 game schedule would you want to use a year of eligibility to play in that schedule.  Also the players who are going into the draft will not play so playing in the spring is not a god idea.

What's the argument there? Why couldn't they play a full schedule in the spring? I'm sure you're right about NFL bound juniors and seniors, but that doesn't bother me enough to not want a season.

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

What's the argument there? Why couldn't they play a full schedule in the spring? I'm sure you're right about NFL bound juniors and seniors, but that doesn't bother me enough to not want a season.

Because it would be about impossible for them to play a full schedule and end in May and think they would be ready for the next season.  If they play like 10-12 games and finish in May then you think they be ready to come back in July.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

The NCAA doesn’t actually have any say in college football national championship. The college football playoff isn’t run by the NCAA. Which is probably another reason why the other three P5 are trying to play. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

If they played a full spring schedule I don't see why they couldn't push the fall 2021 season back a couple months and then be back to normal for 2022 season.

Why ruin two seasons when you just could not play this season and be ready for next year.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why ruin two seasons when you just could not play this season and be ready for next year.

How is playing ruining a season?  Not playing is about a ruined as you  can get.  If I was a senior with no pro chance(like the majority of seniors) I'd want to play.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

6 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

How is playing ruining a season?  Not playing is about a ruined as you  can get.  If I was a senior with no pro chance(like the majority of seniors) I'd want to play.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

There is no way they can play a full season in the spring.  Also you need to think about the kids health in this senerio on how it would effect them playing 2 seasons in one year.  Also if I was that senior I would want a full season to use my last year of eligibility and not a shorten one in the spring.  Those seniors will get another year of eligibility if they don't have a season this year.

6 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Gotta agree with you.  De'Ron Davis had his last chance to play in "The Dance" stolen from him due to this danged pandemic.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Gotta agree with you.  De'Ron Davis had his last chance to play in "The Dance" stolen from him due to this danged pandemic.

But nothing would be taken from these players if there is not a season

If they don't play this year you know they will give those kids another year.

Archived