Big Ten cancelling fall football...

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hated so much that my daughter did not get to go through the graduation ceremony at IU.

I did not attend my graduation ceremony from IU. It was my choice.  So sorry to hear your daughter did not even get a choice. Can't say it enough...  Darned pandemic !

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I did not attend my graduation ceremony from IU. It was my choice.  So sorry to hear your daughter did not even get a choice. Can't say it enough...  Darned pandemic !

My ceremony was boring. About 40 of us graduated from my school's dept of science & engineering.  We were last to go and had to wait for 2500+ others to get theirs first. 

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My ceremony was boring. About 40 of us graduated from my school's dept of science & engineering.  We were last to go and had to wait for 2500+ others to get theirs first. 

I left after graduation from IU to take tests to enter services during the Viet Nam conflict.  Got my degree. Was a time to move on and serve my country.  Took the test for the officer Air Force program. Got one of the highest scores ever, they said. However... no room in their program.  Then took the Navy officer program test.  Flunked.  Heavily math related. I was never good at math....though I got an A in my statistics class in IU.  Then took the officer enlistment test for the Army.  The enlistment officer said he had never seen a score that high. Next.  Trip on the South Shore from Gary, Indiana (which my Uncle Sam paid for) to Chicago to take a physical exam. I'll never forget it.  Doctor comes out and says.... "I've got got good and bad news for you. You passed your physical.... and you are in the Army, now "

Then onto Fort Dix, New Jersey. Then Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri for advanced individual training.  And then on to Fort Benning, Georgia for infantry training.  

I love IU and this country.

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

You sure they weren't handing them out in order by grade point average?  :coffee:

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That joke of a commissioner said winter sports are possible 🤣🤣 

I just cant.  He's embarrassing.  

Looks like basketball will be played in some fashion.  Just a lot easier to do some kind of bubble for basketball with 15 players over 110 football players.  The thing I don't understand is why the conferences pretty much run football but the NCAA runs the other sports.

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Young lady across the street from me. Who was deciding between IU ( as her best friend is an IU student) and the University of Colorado..... decided on Colorado. She lost out on her graduation ceremonies at Cherry Creek High School ( our local and largest high school in the state of Colorado).  And just last week had graduation ceremonies at her house.   And now... rather than going to Boulder to start college.... is staying at home.... deferring her enrollment.

Deferring her enrollment...smart girl.  I would not pay 20-30K per year for online courses.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Looks like basketball will be played in some fashion.  Just a lot easier to do some kind of bubble for basketball with 15 players over 110 football players.  The thing I don't understand is why the conferences pretty much run football but the NCAA runs the other sports.

Because the NCAA use to regulate how many times a football team could be on tv. It was 6 times in a two year period. Then a couple of schools sued the NCAA for their tv rights basically and won making the conferences their own entity pretty much. In which the NCAA sets rules for competition but that’s pretty much it. 

I find it rather funny that Kevin Warren's son wil be playing this fall at Mississippi State but Warren's teams in his conference can't. Seems a bit hypicritical to me if the son isn't going to opt out of playing this year. Just a thought from my perspective. 

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I find it rather funny that Kevin Warren's son wil be playing this fall at Mississippi State but Warren's teams in his conference can't. Seems a bit hypicritical to me if the son isn't going to opt out of playing this year. Just a thought from my perspective. 

Why? Kevin Warren didn't make the decision in the Big Ten, did he? 

And Kevin Warren's son definitely didn't make the decision in the Big Ten, did he? He's his own person with his own decision making capabilities. I'd hate to think we start holding people accountable for their parents or child's actions, that seems like a recipe for disaster. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

And Kevin Warren's son definitely didn't make the decision in the Big Ten, did he? He's his own person with his own decision making capabilities. I'd hate to think we start holding people accountable for their parents or child's actions, that seems like a recipe for disaster. 

Agreed, for all we know Warren wants to play football.  But he is going to do what the leaders of each school ask by majority for him to do.

Similar to Goodell in NFL, a lot of people think he is the issue but he is paid by the owners and they influence what he does.  Now that he is a lame duck commissioner we have already seen Goodell act differently in various areas as he can be more flexible with what he wants to do within reason.

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well actually there is a lot of smoke on twitter right now saying that their never was a vote by the schools and that Kevin Warren caved because Michigan's governor threatend to file a lawsuit if the B1G played. There seems to be more going on behind the scenes and several of the schools a fighting the B1G and Warren right now. So yes it seems that it is possible that Warren did make the decision. Time will tell however as more information leaks and it will because of so many people in charge at different schools being against Warren and the B1G right now. 

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Well actually there is a lot of smoke on twitter right now saying that their never was a vote by the schools and that Kevin Warren caved because Michigan's governor threatend to file a lawsuit if the B1G played. There seems to be more going on behind the scenes and several of the schools a fighting the B1G and Warren right now. So yes it seems that it is possible that Warren did make the decision. Time will tell however as more information leaks and it will because of so many people in charge at different schools being against Warren and the B1G right now. 

Listening to a podcast yesterday and the governor of Michigan said that she won't allow football in her state to be played.  That was both high school and college.

Just now, Sark said:

Warren didn’t decide to do anything other than what the Presidents wanted done.

Well then some of those presidents aren't doing a good job of showing there support of the decision. I'm sorry but there is way to much info out there that speaks to the contrary. 

3 minutes ago, Sark said:

Warren didn’t decide to do anything other than what the Presidents wanted done.

Right.

He was too busy forming an anti-hate and anti-racism committee of athletes that will drive voter registration. Since, you know, that's typically the job of a B1G conference commissioner.

If you can't see what this is really about then I don't know what to tell you.

4 minutes ago, Sark said:

None of that changes anything. Warren didn’t make this decision. The Presidents did. Reserve your wrath for them.

Did he not influence their decisions to cancel though?  Sounds like it was him telling the presidents that they should cancel because of the possible liability.. If he was pushing for a season he did a lousy job.

Go Hoosiers!!!

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Who has half dozen with covid and another small portion in quarantine?  Must have went to one of those ragers this weekend.  I still don’t think any season that starts will last very long with no bubble in place.

Just hear don the radio that E. Carolina has shut down football for right now.  Also said ND has 5 new covid cases plus another 10 going into quarantine

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The condition is called myocarditis.  It is very rare from what I've read.  Its also caused by other viruses.   Like the common cold, hepatitis B and C and parvovirus.  But of course the media doesn't tell us that.

Go Hoosiers!!!

8 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

The condition is called myocarditis.  It is very rare from what I've read.  Its also caused by other viruses.   Like the common cold, hepatitis B and C and parvovirus.  But of course the media doesn't tell us that.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Thanks for clarifying this.  The reporting on this virus has just gotten stupid at times.  Yes, we know it's real and yes, we understand the need for precaution, but I am sick of the sensationalistic reporting.

Archived